Universal Heroki (by PICOMY)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 5, 2015.

1. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Game is amazing unique polished colorful ! My only gripe is no MFi! It doesn't necessarily scream for it, but a game THIS excellent should support it. A toast to iCloud though thank you for that!

2. Picomy

Picomy Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Thanks a lot guys!

We will add MFi controller support in the next update or after :)

3. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Cool...
    Just bought this today :D
    Awesome game....

4. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Played 6 levels now, still really impressive the game, clever where you guys had hidden the i from Heroki in level 1-6, I did go all the way back to find it Ha Ha.

5. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    Here's a pretty big glitch...

If you do something that activates a door (or other animated sequence), and then die, if you do it again the game gets stuck. It doesn't crash exactly, but you can't do anything as the game seems to get caught in an endless loop trying to open the door that's already open.

6. Picomy

Picomy Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    #46 Picomy, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
    Hmm that's interesting. Though I don't understand how you can die during a cutscene? - Because all hazards are freezed during such an event.

Can you describe the accurate steps to repro? Also what level, device you are playing on etc... If you can provide us with as much info possible we can fix it right away :)

Thanks a ton for mentioning this by the way! We keep monitoring everything so that we can make the game as bugfree possible with each update.

7. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    #47 Glorkbot, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    No, I don't mean if you die during a cutscene. Sorry for not being clear. I mean if you die after the cutscene. Maybe it only happens if you hit a checkpoint after doing the action, then die, and restart from the checkpoint and try to do the action again.

Like putting one of the crabby guys in the place where they switch the switch, or putting the pearl on the pedastal... And then if you die later in the level and restart at the checkpoint... If you try to do the same action again (have the yellow crabby guy flip the switch again, or put the pearl on the pedastal again) the game gets stuck. In the case of the yellow crabby guy he just walks back & forth switching the switch again and again forever while you stay stuck there watching him. In the case of the pearl, the camera just zooms in on the pearl and stays there.

8. englandfoxi

englandfoxi Member

Jul 17, 2013
    After MFI conntroller update I definitely purchase Heroki :)

9. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    It annoys me that a lot of the reviews on the App Store praise SEGA for this game and call it "a great new IP" or a "return to form" for SEGA.

Picomy deserve the credit, not the sham of a company that SEGA has become.

Great game guys.

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #50 metalcasket, Jul 12, 2015
    While I absolutely love the fact that SEGA published this, I agree with you in that it's Picomy that deserves the attention and praise. Oh, and **** Harry Slater and his 6/10 review sideways. Twat.

11. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Yeah, Harry Slater from Pocketgamer, gives the great games a 6 and the average games an 8 or 9, I never buy games on reviews, because I instantly see what's good and not.

12. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Agreed, Picomy deserves all the accolades, but some credit must also go to Sega for not turning the game into a freemium iAP-fest.

13. Picomy

Picomy Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    #53 Picomy, Jul 12, 2015
    Well, I respect his opinion even though I highly disagree with his points and his score of 6 I just found unjustified. Normally, I would not comment on this and as a developer, you can't really because that's not what other people expect. But since we are all human beings with feels, this is all I have to say about it:

The stability issues he mentionted are indeed annoying, but most certainly fixable.

The thing that I personally found most unfair was seeing and hearing his exact same review on Appspy. The way how he said his comments were -- in my opinion -- highly disrespectful and denigrating. To us, it felt like he was already biased before he even played the game. Even the title said 'five years is a long time'. Like someone stated in the comments, it was more insulting rather objectively reviewing the game.

Not gonna lie here, it bothered us for a few days but we've accepted it. I'm just glad a lot of people disagreed with him :)

14. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    #54 Prhaber, Jul 12, 2015
    I usually tend to disagree with pocketgamers reviews but their Heroki review was abysmal. I felt more like the reviewer had an axe to grind rather than creating a constructive and critical review.

And for Picomy - I've played a lot of platformers in my 30 years of gaming - a LOT of platformers - and Heroki ranks as one of my favourite ones by far. Takes me back to the glory days of Nintendo and Sega while simultaneously being new and refreshing. You've created a great game here and I'm loving the quality and attention to detail I've found in it. And some of the environments are just drop dead gorgeous and amazingly atmospheric. The first time I went underwater it took my breath away with the visuals and the subtle but effective shift in the music....a beautiful experience that only the best of games can provide.

Don't lose heart....

Edit : by the way, is there a TouchArcade review coming for the game? I'm a bit surprised it hasn't turned up already as I think the game needs the recognition it deserves...

15. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I rank this game under my platform greatest as Banjo Kazooie, Jack&Daxter, and Super Mario shunshine, this game belongs with those great games in one sentence.

Im not playing console games for over 6 years now, because IOS in a whole is far more fun than console games ever where.

16. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    I'm sure AppSpy is now run/owned by Pocketgamer so the reviews tend to be the one and the same on both.

I don't pay attention to either site.

17. OutSpoken

OutSpoken Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    #57 OutSpoken, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    Im just really happy Picomy went 2.5d with this platformer and not the popular retro 80s/90s 8bit pixel graphics we see a lot of on the appstore. It doesn't look like and play like a traditional mobile game and more like a console game. Imo Picomy have set the bar with platformers on mobile with heroki.

18. lilgac

lilgac Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Just picked this up. Nice!

19. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Picomy, don't take this TA review to heart. It comes from a person who has too many 3.5s to give out. When you're a hammer everything looks like a nail. And when you're a cynical critic everything looks average. Any reviewer who doesn't recognize that Heroki is an homage to a gone by era of collectathon 2D platformers is doing himself and the game a disservice.

20. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    TouchArcade reviews lost all credibility in my eyes the day they gave Candy Crush Saga a 5.

Being honest I don't read or pay attention to any mobile gaming site when it comes to reviews.