Universal Heroine Anthem Zero (by Winking Skywalker)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, May 23, 2019.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    It did get some front page coverage, but it would be great to see a review.

L.Lawliet likes this.
  2. DTK

DTK Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Marketing
    Berlin Germany
    I can only agree! I know TouchArcade from the first day the app was released, and I have often been unable to understand the decision of Game of the Week. Many ingenious games are not appreciated here, but others and sometimes really bad pixel trash highly praised! I also play pixel games, I've grown up with C64 & Amiga 500. But tastes and priorities are just different. We will soon see how this title is handled.

3. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

How “fast” paced is this game? I have RSI issues but this looks amazing, however trying to play ARPGs on my phone has led to no positive results

I see discussion of a relax mode but not a lot of details regarding what that means.

I wish there was MFi support, but the price vs what I would pay on the switch is so appealing....

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    It’s not the most frenetic ARPG I’ve played, but the combat is definitely not placid — especially the boss fights. At the same time, there is much more to the game than just killing monsters.

It’s been a while since I started a new game, so I don’t remember difficulty settings...

5. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    This game is easily worth the cost. Story is great, sound quality and visuals are also top notch. Gets a little racy sometimes with the art, with a good sense of humor.

The controls are mostly good, but the left right arrow, although adjustable, has led to a few deaths. Not a deal breaker.

There seem to be some light metroidvania aspects, as techniques help you get through certain zones and I have encountered at least two optional zones—at least optional to this point in time. There are some items hidden that extend your HP. I am.picking up some items that hint at crafting at some point, but haven't unlocked or confirmed that.

Difficulty—i have mostly stayed on standard except for one optional boss and another area in chapter 3 which had a lot of platforming areas with spikes. Changing to relaxed makes things a little easier to kill and do less damage. It doesn't make it a cake walk but I think it's helpful.

Overall, it's no Dust but it is very good. I would only hope a movement stick and a little.more RPG element in terms of experience or something.

6. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Update: no crafting in this episode, but the MC's dad was a master Craftsman and some events point towards something happening with that.

I do find some legit times when wall jumping that the left right arrows seem to go dead. When you go to.relaxed difficulty the throne do negligible damage and you can probably get back to a wall/double jump after getting hurt. That's a nice feature. But I do think there is a kink to work out there. So if you get frustrated from.these kinds of deaths I'd suggest changing difficulty.

Still a strong recommendation from.me. Looking forward to Future episodes, and with everything invested in this one I am confident they will be forthcoming.

7. ThirdMoon

ThirdMoon Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014
    Currently on sale! (£0.99 in the U.K.)

8. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Does anyone know if Ep.2 is coming to iOS and if so, when?? I love this game. Looking forward to more. I think Ep.2 was recently released for pc. I reached out to the dev’s on Twitter about ep.2 for iOS but didn’t get a response

L.Lawliet likes this.
  9. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Episode 2 would be awesome. I saw the preview a while back and it had so much new features. Looks like a better version of the already great Ep 1.

yankeeblue000 likes this.
  10. Did you beat the game already? How was the experience?

11. After beating the game, I think I have a love and hate relationship with it.

- there isn’t a clear path. At first, it feels like a jrpg with a sidescrolling and real time mechanic. But then it feels novel -ish and anime-ish especially in the first 4 hours of gameplay. The story itself is very good. But there’re unnecessary dialogues here and there. And then it becomes a full fledged action platformer with very little text but becomes more entertaining in the second half of the game
    - the music is top-notch. I never skipped it, not even the post credit music
    - character development is so interesting. But some female characters and cutscenes are a bit sexualised.

Overall, part of me says i loved it. But the other one makes me hesitate to wholeheartedly recommend it. Still, i will continue the story if they would ever port the 2nd one to mobile

12. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Here I am a year later still wondering. Lol. I can’t seem to find a clear answer anywhere.