Universal Heroes of Steel RPG Elite

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Mar 23, 2014.

1. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Tis rare praise given from NullZone I shall have to try it

2. bastband

bastband Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    England
    Trying the lite version, sure this has been out before, maybe under another name?

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Thanks :) nice to read I could convince you to give it a shot.
    And indeed, like the moon I'm a harsh mistress. But always fair in my criticism I hope.

@bastband: I looked around a bit, but could not find anything that would indicate it was planned or released under a different name.
    Maybe the devs can shed some light here?

4. duncanedi

duncanedi Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    You have to download Heroes of Steel RPG, it has the first chapter free and then ask you if you want to buy the full game... for 0,99 if Im not wrong... I bought as soon as I finished the free part :)

or If you want you can buy Heroes of Steel RPG Elite and have all the chapters included...

5. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I am waiting on Game Center achievements honestly then I will buy it.

6. Tone1978

Tone1978 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    I have the game.. Is elite seperate all together then? Do I need to buy this one and delete the old version if I want all the content ?

7. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    I'm glad this game got so,e attention. It looks like a game I will enjoy amd because of thst I'm downloading it now

8. duncanedi

duncanedi Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    No, its the same game but if you have elite you already have all the chapters (i think there will be one or two more) for free... with the normal version you have to buy every chapter as they come out...

9. Tone1978

Tone1978 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Oh ok thanks for that info.
    Tony

10. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    If you want folks to pay for your unfinished game up front, go to Kickstarter. Games been out for months,good job addressing bugs, but shouldn't that be worked out before release.

11. hrsta

hrsta Member

Mar 26, 2014
    You're funny.
    This game is a diamond swimming in an App Store full of shit. You just need to clean it a little bit and then you'll see what's under.
    Your "unfinished game" it's a 20 hour (rushing) voyage full of combats, beautiful story and interesting characters.

12. fallen

fallen Well-Known Member

The two games are exactly the same. They simply offer different purchasing models. We don't intend gamers to switch between them.

Heroes of Steel RPG is free. Try out the game! If you like it, but the story episodes as $1 IAPs.

Heroes of Steel Elite is the exact same game. Pay up front for all the story episodes for $4.

There is no transfer of saved games or other IAPs between the games. The Elite game is to help those folks who dislike IAPs get a single purchase for the entire story. I hope that clears things up.

The game has never been released under another name and was developed during 2013 after our successful KickStarter in March 2013. We released Heroes of Steel RPG in December 2013!

Have fun!

13. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Too bad you didnt release them same time. I wouldve preferred elite but didnt know it was coming so bought iaps

14. fallen

fallen Well-Known Member

@Duke12 - we won't make the mistake with our next game, Star Traders 4X which will be out in a week or two. The volume of feedback about IAPs was high enough that we decided to alter our plans and release a full Elite after the fact.

15. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I have played many turned based games. I was pleasantly surprised by the
    Lite version and did not hesitate to buy the Elite version.

I always wanted a turn based game where you could fight and explore
    in large dungeons, and this is it.

The warriors talk among themselves as the story plays out. At times, special
    skills will need to be used to open locked chests, avoid traps and get a glimpse
    of what is possibly behind the next door.

I liked the animations and character sprites the way they first appeared in
    the original version of the game. The developers continue to tweak the user
    interface and artwork to further enhance the gaming experience.

The battles are fun and the levelling system allows you the further upgrade
    skills I like to use the most.

All in all, this is a very enjoyable turn based RPG.

Thanks

16. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #36 Nullzone, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    @fallen: Don't know if you watch the "questions" thread here
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=231147
    so I'll copy my critique post over from there. Would appreciate a reply.

Anyways, bought the full version after a few minutes with the free one.
    Playing with the default party for now; just escaped and got my first levelups (UPDATE: In Oskahold now, exploring the surroundings).
    The skill/stat descriptions are *excellent* , the best I have seen in a long gaming career. Especially love the "flavored" explanations from the character's point of view.
    Gameplay feels good so far, no complaints. Combat went smooth, with tactics making some difference, e.g. blocking off a doorway with the Fighter and pelting the enemy with ranged attacks.
    Only quibble I have is that the damage ranges are rather big, e.g. the Fighter doing anything from 5-25 points (example, no exact numbers from the game) .

Story and world look promising, curious to learn more.
    And the chase in the tunnels was great; gave a real feeling of "no, we *cannot* explore every nook and cranny for loot, RUN!" urgency.

Now, on towards some criticism:
    1) No volume controls, only on/off switches. A lot of times I want the background music louder, and the effects less.
    2) Not obvious that you can pinch to zoom. Figured out because I just try that in games where it makes sense. But should be mentioned somewhere.
    3) No overview map. Does not have to be a HUD map, although that would be ideal. But I at least want to see at one glance where I'm going and where I've been. So if it's an extra "map screen" , no biggie.
    4) The first time a character levels up, the game should mention that you can distribute skill points etc. later. I was disappointed at first when "nothing happened" at levelup.
    5) User Interface: Very well done in general. I play on an iPad Air, and think the skill buttons on the right could be a bit smaller. While the party control buttons (especially that tiny arrow) on the left could be bigger. If I find the time tomorrow, I'll attach some screenshots for comparison.
    For now, look at Avadon2 for a negative example: controls are way too small and not really comfortable to use. Battleheart:Legacy's skill buttons at the bottom are perfect size in my opinion.

6) Now, the absolute worst offender: only one saveslot, no manual saving. That's a total no-go. What if my savefile gets corrupted? Or I maneuver myself into a corner (say, due to a bug) where I cannot continue playing, but could remedy it by going back to an earlier save? Not to mention that this is an RPG and I want to try things. Look at e.g. Avadon2: You can save anytime outside of combat, have 5 manual saveslots and an autosave.

And an update after a few hours playing and reaching level 6:
    - Skills and equipment seem well-balanced: they make a good difference, but not overwhelmingly so.
    - Do you get more Action Points than 7 later? I picked up a few 3AP weapons, and feel that the one attack I lose is not made up for by the added damage.
    - The questlog descriptions are well done, stating what you need to do with directions where to go.
    - Story and world background look even more interesting, now that I know a bit more. Same goes for the characters' different personalities.
    - Character effects: I miss a "one-tap option" to see which effects my chars have active. And messages that tell you when a buff runs out. Checking manually is a bit tedious, as you need to go through 2 screens to see them.
    - Battles could be a little bit shorter. So far, I very often get swarmed by a large (10+) group, and things drag on. Just a few less monsters per encounter would make things flow better, in my opinion.

17. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #37 Nullzone, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    A few more thoughts:
    - Is there a way to respec characters? I already feel like I made some mistakes, but starting a new game just to correct those is a bit too much effort.
    - Not enough campsites: The first dungeon (road to Oskahold) gave a great feeling of setting out on a foray, explore a limited area, then return to base for a recharge. The Oskahold area did not yield any campsites so far. And the frequent walking back to town to recharge destroys the game flow for me.
    UPDATE: Thought about that a bit. And the real problem isn't the lack of campsites, but the fast rate you burn through your SP. Avadon2 for example uses an almost identical mechanic, but there it works much better: Rarely you need trek back and recharge or use potions for that.
    Sidethought: Am I simply playing wrong? E.g. am I supposed to constantly burn through SP potions and frequently restock them in town? The amounts of gold I got so far do not lead me to believe this would be a valid approach.
    - Also, a "return to town" button would be a nice commodity. I know the way back, so why make me walk it all the time?

18. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    [BUG] Purchasing the extra chars gives "invalid product" error

Just wanted to buy the 3 additional heroes, both to start a new party and support you folks ;)
    Unfortunately this does not work: trying to buy any of the three results in an "invalid product" error from iTunes. See screenshot.

Attached Files:

19. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    I'm really enjoying this game. I like how you have the ability to shape your characters progression and defining how their roles fit your play style. I've played 5+ hours already and definitely plan on continuing it. I wish there were some random encounters because I fear in the future when I want to grind more levels out I won't be able to. Level progression does seem fair to be honest, though I'm the type of person who likes to go into battles over experienced to guarantee victory. It's a very solid game and game and if you like SRPGs then this should definitely be an easy buy. I did find the beginning makes you feel rushed to stay safe, though I don't know if the game dictates that area through way point cut scenes or you truly are rushed. I'm giving this game 5 stars as a must download game.

20. fallen

fallen Well-Known Member

@yerti1 - thank you for the 5 star and glad you are enjoying the game! Part of the balancing design behind Heroes of Steel is a "no grinding" approach. That means, no repetitive places to go repetitively fight "random" fights. You can get more XP by doing all the subquests and playing in a more completionist style, but the game was designed to avoid a "grinding" style.