Universal Heroes of Steel (by Trese Brothers)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by undeadcow, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #21 Vovin, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    Played this a bit more and all I can say is: yeah, this is what Warhammer Quest should have been. It provides a nice story line and the character interactions are great and always giving you a little rest after a fight. Really good scripting. And each of the characters has a unique personality. I like that grumpy and always worried wizard most.

2. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Haven't played for long enough yet to be able to judge the nitty gritty, but as a very initial impression, this is just stupidly good. Free to download and see for yourself, so as they say, do yourself a favour.

3. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    These ratkin are messin me up! Make sure to save your spirit points. I ran out by spamming special abilities every turn. Almost out of the dungeon... I think. :)

4. Xandrak

Xandrak Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Downloaded (love the free trial in the form of the prologue) and looking forward to playing it today.

5. darnoc703

darnoc703 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Interesting, I feel that this could be really great, but I feel that the gameplay is really slow. That's just my opinion, try it to see if It suits you

6. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Gotta agree with you about the slow gameplay. And I thought there was just too much reading. More hack n slash less reading would be nice.

7. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I suppose a lot of different opinions. This isn't a hack and slash game though, hence party management. It's a turn-based tactical game with deep character leveling mechanics. :)

I personally really enjoy the dialog and hasn't got boring to me.

My main current complaint is that I wish the developer could fit more abilities on the side. Perhaps reduce the icon sizes a bit to fit one more ability?

I can come up with a slight, tho a little silly request too. I hope to see levels where it's a bit more open and away from a cave dungeon. I know it's kind of a dungeon crawler but still, if love to see that. But I haven't got through the tunnel just yet so maybe it changes.

8. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I agree the character walking speed is a bit slow, and the UI could definitely be more streamlined.

9. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Warhammer wasn't/isn't an RPG though (even though it is labeled as such)... Too many folks make this comment as if Warhammer was intended to be some RPG when it is not. It is a board game, (trust me, I own the original box set) and despite some changes to it to make it feel more story driven, it still plays as it was intended: as a relatively quick to play tabletop strategy board game with light RPG elements to provide quick instanced dungeon scenarios; nothing more. Much like more recent boardgames inspired by it, like Descent, Dungeoneer, and so many other figurine loaded tile based dungeon crawling board games!

I can understand if you are disappointed because you didn't like the game, but don't be upset at it because it is not what you expected to be; wanting it to be something it never was to begin with.

On topic: I too am really digging this! I love Warhammer because it is more or less what I remember it to be. I also really like this as well, and look forward to supporting this game when the next adventure installments come out.

10. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Hahahaha, don't get me wrong, mate, I also own the Warhammer Quest box, the expansion boxes and several hands full of additional figures.
    I love Warhammer Quest for what it is, yet I expected a deeper storyline because it's a console/computer game now.
    My friends and me used to play Warhammer Quest not as just a board game, but an RPG, a mixture of board- and RPG with a deep storyline.
    Warhammer Quest is still among the best board game adaptions on iOS.

11. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Really enjoying this as well, and agree with adding more abilities to the UI.

Also, I seem to have run into a problem in the dungeons. Spoiler alert!
    I'm in the cell to the left of the tunnel entrance, and dialog has mentioned a ring covered with webs in the cell. There's one tile with webs, but tapping on it does nothing, and there's no ring visible anywhere else in the cell. Is this a bug? Am I not supposed to be able to get the ring?

At any rate, good game so far. Reminds me a lot of Companions for iPad. Hopefully, as scotdamn mentioned, it'll have more variety in the environments. I got pretty tired of Companions because of that.

12. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    #32 Artfoundry, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    So no one's encountered the problem I had? Did anyone get the item?

[update] ok so it turns out I had the item in my inventory but didn't realize it because there was no feedback telling me it was put there (just dialog saying the dead guy wouldn't be needing it anymore or something like that).

But now I have another issue. I had three types of health potions, and now I only have two. I never used any of them. Do they get used automatically when needed? If so, that's another thing for which there's no feedback. If not, then it seems to be a bug.

While the game is good, it does seem like it's in need of a bit more polish.

13. Tone1978

Tone1978 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    I'm enjoying this game so far as well. A pleasant surprise! I am a turn based strategy fan big time, ever since I played advance wars many years ago lol. I found fire emblem by accident and loved that too, which is my all time fav. But every time I see a turn based strategy game I insta buy.. And this game has been pretty neat so far I gotta say!

Tony

14. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Not sure I know what you're talking about regarding the ring haha. :eek: Also I don't think the health potions are used automatically. I was able to obtain a decent amount of them by finding chest in random spots. The only reason I ran out was because I was being stupid. It's definitely important to conserve you AP and Spirit and not always attack with your abilities.

As far as WQ, I personally really enjoy it, still play it and bought a lot of the DLC. But I know of a lot of people who were let down. Maybe they had the wrong idea going in, but they might get what they were after with HoS. That's all I was saying.

15. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #35 ScotDamn, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    Ditto on TBS. I really enjoy fantasy party RPG's too. This def hits the spot.

Edit:
    If you're a fan of Advance Wars, you should check out Mecho Wars and The War of Eustrath.

16. fallen

fallen Well-Known Member

Heroes of Steel - Tactics RPG (Universal App)

Heroes of Steel is a tactical turn-based RPG in which you lead a group of four unique characters, each with their own talents, special powers, and abilities on their quest through the world of Steel. Engage in tactical combat with the ferocious, devious, and magical enemies who threaten humanity's last settlements. You must decide how to develop each character’s individual strategy in order to build a powerful and dynamic team capable of triumphing over the impossible odds. As you traverse the sprawling world of Steel, your party will face a myriad of challenges, battles, extensive mazes and fearsome enemies of all varieties.

See the epic turn-based tactical RPG in this YouTube Trailer!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUabKjL9iTQ

It is the dawn of the Seventy First Year after the world has fallen. Four of the Thirteen Gods rose up against their creator, the All-Father, and destroyed him in a cataclysmic event. In the following years of darkness and ruin, the kingdoms of man fell in war and flame. In the final days before all was lost, under the guidance of an ancient order of druids, the survivors retreated to a mysterious underground labyrinth; the Underdeep. Now, in the Underdeep, the last remnants of humanity are scratching out a living and trying to rebuild a society, but are quickly discovering that evil has followed them beneath the surface.

Heroes of Steel RPG was inspired by some of the best and most classic games in the tactics RPG genre like Heroes Quest, Baldur's Gate, Diablo, and Final Fantasy Tactics. If you enjoy the precision of turn-based tactics games, challenging and complex combat, and branching storylines you will love Heroes of Steel RPG.

As you lead your group in Heroes of Steel you will:
    • Be immersed in a deep, post-apocalyptic medieval fantasy world with a grim non-linear storyline
    • Choose how to increase your attribute, skills, and talents to build a powerful and victorious team strategy .
    • Employ hundreds of arcane, holy, melee and ranged Talents against your enemies
    • Face unique, crafty and challenging opponents in the underdeep
    • Explore the immense and sprawling world of Steel
    • Enjoy hours of tactical turn-based RPG in the Prologue before purchasing Episode 1: Death's Consort for $1. The entire story will be 4 Episodes for $4 total.

Where can I get Heroes of Steel RPG?
    Heroes of Steel is available on the Apple App Store for your iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch, and on Google Play and the Amazon App Store for your Android phone or tablet.

Who are the Trese Brothers?
    The Trese Brothers are two brothers on a mission -- to create the best RPGs for mobile devices, to build games that you love to play, and that we love to play. We can’t compete with big game shops and big graphics, but we take our productions in a different direction. We produce and faithfully support deeply complex and challenging mobile games that go far beyond "casual" and echo the great games of our youth. We listen closely to our community of fans, gamers, and critics on how to improve the games and continuously keep pushing new updates and improvements on all our games. We have literally shipped hundred of game updates to our five games over the last two years. And we have fans who have played our games for two years and still love them. Trese Brothers are also the makers of Star Traders, Templar Assault which is set in the Star Traders world, Cyber Knights, and Age of Pirates.

Heroes of Steel RPG was launched by a successful KickStarter campaign in early 2013, and you can see the original Kickstarter project here

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    We have an on-going thread for HoS here. I encourage you follow it as we have had some feedback there. :)

I'd also like to add that I greatly encourage you port all of your games to iOS. I'd love to purchase/play them, but I don't have an Android device.

18. fallen

fallen Well-Known Member

All future Trese Brothers games will be brought to all platforms, including PC. We will not be going back to port Cyber Knights, Templar Assault, or Age of Pirates.

And thanks for the cross link, that thread has a lot of good information.

19. fallen

fallen Well-Known Member

20. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Download it immediately.