iPad Heroes of Might & Magic III - HD Edition (by Ubisoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Aventador, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Cannot help here. But I'm pretty sure in the campaign I've got going on iOS, it prompted me there to buy a spell book and I did.

Anyway, just so you know, if the iOS version is the same, you really don't need any spells for the tutorial. I didn't. It's light on for battles. To complete it you have to dig and find the Grail which is frustrating, and it's not even a spoiler but relief for some I'm sure if I said the Grail is somewhere in the vicinity of your first castle.
    Anyway, spells aren't really required in the tutorial, at least the one I did, and who knows, maybe the tutorial has some things disabled.

2. Hpmor

Hpmor Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Oh boy - I have played the first campaign scenario for an hour until I figured out how to get an additional hero :)

The tutorial PDF really helps though, thanks for the info. They really should get their act together and make a decent tutorial ...

Controls are OK for me btw.

3. scipio

scipio New Member

Jan 31, 2015
    #103 scipio, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    I can understand everyone's problems, especially if you are new to the series. The controls in combat are... interesting, as a HOMM veteran of many years it took me a couple battle to figure it out. PDF will def. help those who are new to the series. It will take a few goes, but you should get the hang of it. Hardest part will be the controls! I still have a hard time getting the game show me what an artifact does

As to the spell books, Melee heroes don't start with one, but magic based heroes have one to start with. You dont buy spells, but when you visit a town they are automatically copied. Hope that clears things up!

i have having huge problems with my iPad Air, shut down every 3 minutes. Hope they batch soon, this is rediculous...

4. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Wisely, your hero has to visit the town, then click the Mage guild and it will offer to sell you the spell book if needed. You need 500 gold. Perhaps it doesn't trigger if you don't have the gold or if you put the hero in the 'garrison' slot in the town. Try both slots if one doesn't work.

5. Hpmor

Hpmor Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2014
    What do you mean, a hard time, how do you do it at all? I have collected lots of stuff and no idea what it does...

But I am having fun, I have played Homm 2 about 20 years ago but never the others...

6. Hpmor

Hpmor Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2014
    OK I found it - press once to pick it up, then long to display stats. Wow, maybe they should have ditched the HD graphics and make a proper tutorial instead - it is not so bad once you got it, but I wonder what else is hidden ...

7. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    It was in the tutorial but I missed it too :)

8. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Auto attack is usually not a good choice. For example, it's almost always best to wait and let the other player move first to bring them into range so you can get the first attack rather than the counter-attack. This is especially true for ranged units shooting melee units. Once they get halfway across the board, your bowmen will do full damage. The only exception is when your opponent has ranged units; which should be taken out immediately if possible.

Except for that last part, the AI rarely employs any of these strategies.

9. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Yep. Only a few maps with no way to import more. I even tried using a 3rd party utility to try and add map files. No joy.

10. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    I don't remember much about the campaigns. I always preferred skirmish play, which allows you to start with any town you like.

11. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Few? There's at least 75 maps. Sure, it'd be better to have the expansions, the random map generator, and the ability to import custom maps; but life isn't perfect.

It's a lot of value for $10 imho.

12. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Sorry, I meant that there are only a few large/XL maps. Yes, great value, but not as good as the desktop version for this reason.

13. FoldedDice

FoldedDice Member

Feb 1, 2015
    It is worth noting that the map format hasn't changed from the original, meaning that it is possible for them to be imported. They work perfectly, but it takes a jailbreak to get into the map folder. Myself, I had my brother generate a set of random maps from the PC version for me to use, which works well enough as a workaround.

For the folks having trouble with the basic concepts of play: remember that is this game is straight out of the era where games still came with hefty instruction books that were often required to learn how to play, so you're certainly missing out on information by not having one. I'll agree that's a pretty big omission that the developers didn't at least include it as a PDF.

14. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Has anyone figured out how to delete saves? It's driving me insane.

15. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Hopefully someone can get this for you.

But I want to know the reverse. Whenever I save, I don't see an option to make a new save? I'm constantly saving over my last save. Since I'm only doing one campaign I have just the one save.
    How do you have so many saves?

16. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

If you over-write the auto save, it should create a new autosve next turn.

17. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Right. But it's "overwriting" as you said.
    i haven't seen it make a new save yet. Maybe I haven't gotten far enough to trigger a new autosave. Thanks.

18. Cyl

Cyl Active Member

Nov 15, 2013
    France
    Just select any existing save slot and type a new name in text window at the bottom of screen.

19. Wisely

Wisely Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    #119 Wisely, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    Thanks Trevor. Findng it hard to resist pulling the trigger on the iOS version even though I have installed the same PC version.

20. Cyl

Cyl Active Member

Nov 15, 2013
    France
    The only way I manage to do that is by using the "recap button" (just below the S of south of the mini map).
    There you can see all your heroes and a long tap on an artifact will show you its bonuses.
    Not very practical but better than nothing (until a future patch).