iPad Heroes of Might & Magic III - HD Edition (by Ubisoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Aventador, Jan 29, 2015.

1. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Not a pretty visual on this one. :eek:

2. Praymettin

Praymettin Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    #22 Praymettin, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    Utterly untrue. This was the best fantasy turn-based strategy out there and for me, still is.
    HoMM 5 comes very close but this is something different:

Diverse and unique units and their upgraded forms(most had a unique special ability) for each of the 8 completely different factions (1 more added with Armageddon's Blade), interesting hand-drawn graphic style(the cities were particularly charming), very tactical and genre defining gameplay, from small clashes against isolated groups of monsters scatteted around the map to large battles against enemy heroes and castle sieges, resource management(and of course the race for them!), gorgeous maps with something to do every inch and one of the best classic fantasy soundtracks.

LAN and Hotseat multiplayer were even more fantastic. I think I played nearly all the fantasy strategy games of the last 3 decades and apart from HoMM 5 nothing had the flavour this game had.

I don't have an IPad and can't verify the faithfulness of the port, but I recommend it eyes closed to who like classic fantasy, tactical and deep gameplay and board games.

3. Xandrak

Xandrak Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2013
    The PC game was great and I did spend s ton of time on it. I find that although I've bought several of the top tier ipad games when they first come out that I just don't find the time to play them. I will probably wait for the sale on this one as I likely wouldn't play it much before that point anyway.

4. Wisely

Wisely Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Will be keen to buy this game...once there are impressions and some reviews to confirm it runs reasonably well and not a bug fest.

5. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    "7 exciting campaign scenarios"

Was this in the original game too?

for some reason I remember a lot more..
    7 maps isn't much.
    Unless 1 campaign is several maps ??

6. PRAETORRIDUS ANIMUS

PRAETORRIDUS ANIMUS Active Member

Dec 15, 2014
  7. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    There are some minor interface glitches. One in particular makes melee attacking with large creatures a bit tricky. It plays quite well, though. I've had a review copy for about a week and only had 2 crashes in about 10 hours of play. The only real bummers are the lack of online or LAN multiplayer, and the inability to import user-created maps.

8. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    The tiny graphics for an iPad just ruin this for me.

9. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Yes 7 campaigns...there are several maps in each campaign. I think this should be many many hours of gameplay. My favorite is the offline play. I can finally have a reason to take my iPad everywhere I go! The battle interface is a little odd at first because of the long tap for melee but you get used to it after a couple attacks. I keep trying to hit the space bar or enter bar for continued movement after the day has changed hahaha

All in all I like it so far. I'm about to complete the first map on the first campaign, but it sure does bring back some memories of the coutless hours I would spend in my youth playing this game. I played 1 and 2 and was awed but when 3 came out I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY at the time. Stuff in this game for ME hadn't been done like this before. It was an eye opener at that age. Now of course if your looking for a Graphical Blowout like some games nowadays can be then you'll be sorely disappointed. Just remember this is a remake of a game from I think 15 years ago so the graphics are on par for that day and age. This is more of a nostalgia trip to play a game I sank alot of my youth into again as an adult without having to lug my whole PC around. I'll take it and I paid the 9.99 gladly once again for the fact that I can play this wherever I want.

As for expansions on this I think they'll figure something out once they get the feel for how well this game does. I think there is PLENTY of content in this as is to keep you going for well over 100 hours.

Lastly what's you guys playstyles? Do you have one BADASS champ that goes and clears the world and amasses an ENORMOUS ARMY or do you spread it out over multiple champs and take it over quickly? Me I like the massive army playstyle where my archers sitting at stupid numbers can take out whole stacks of monsters with one shot...maybe that's just me ;)

10. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    This...

Plus, (for those who have never played it) it's unbelievably well-balanced. 8 factions, all with unique monsters that have unique abilities, and all 8 are winnable with good gameplay. I agree that 5 was pretty good too, but it always ran like a dog for me, and I hated that they nerfed the tier 7 monsters.

11. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    I always focused my assets/armies/experience into a single alpha hero, and made learning earth magic and the town portal spell a priority so he could be anywhere I needed him. I also enjoyed fielding nothing but magic immune black dragons and melting the rest of the battlefield with the Armageddon spell, but that didn't always work out.

12. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Sorry to hear that. For what it's worth, the resolution is actually much higher than the original game, which looks pretty fuzzy on my Surface Pro.

13. doomowl

doomowl Active Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Well, I'm fans of might and magic heroes, this really make me feel wan to get it, but how about the skirmish? Izzit only fews maps can we play?

14. Nyx1978

Nyx1978 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Will there ever be an iPhone version...?

15. Echtzeit

Echtzeit Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Keeps crashing on iPad Mini 1. Bummer.

16. Wisely

Wisely Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I remembered playing a lot of this game on my PC back in the days. As for details, I don't remember much.

So we can play as leader of the 8 different factions in each campaign? If so then there would be a lot of replayability.

17. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Criminal Defense Attorney
    U.S.
    Does anyone here know enough about programming to say FOR SURE, not an educated guess, that the random map generator in armageddon's blade couldn't be reverse engineered for this one despite the source code being "lost"?

I feel like a conspiracy theorist, but a random map generator essentially negates the need for consumers to ever buy content dlc in the form of maps, and I have a sneaky suspicion that economics, and not lost source code are the reason a random map gen isn't included. I don't know enough about software code to validate my suspicions though. Thanks.

18. Coldstream

Coldstream Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Netherlands
    There's no skirimish, just single scenario maps or the campaign.
    Also no map generator either, and no multiplayer except hotseat.

I feel bad about some points though because im pretty sure they said both the map editor and multiplayer would've been included when they anounced this game.
    I'm happy enough to play this classic on my ipad but honestlyit couldve been better.

19. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Glad to see the wait is finally over, now it's time to enjoy.

20. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    There is good reason behind that love [that you mentioned], and that's not coz the game was played when we were younger.

It was THE turn-based Strategy RPG that ruled its time. Even its own sequels or the more modern take on the formula (Disciples, Age of Wonders, etc) werent as good as HOMM3.