Universal Heroes of Loot - (by Pascal Bestebroer)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 11, 2013.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    No real continuity between runs BUT, and it isn't clear to me how this works, how far you get seems to effects the "Dungeon Difficulty" of future runs. After trying out each of the characters with a really great run as a Wizard, I think, I'm only 1 * away from the maximum difficulty.

It's a cute game but can probably be best described as solo Gauntlet with randomized levels, shops, and basic quests.

I still have no clue what diamonds and gems do (is it cash or do they help restore health/mana?).

Other than the fact some can shoot back, I really can't see much uniqueness between most of the mobs (i.e. while I can tell a skull from a ghost graphically, I don't see any differences between them gameplay-wise).

Oh, when comparing characters, what do the stars next to Strength and Magic mean? I'd assume it's the character's attack type but a wizard's attack is less magical than a valkyrie's...so does it mean their resistace to those attack types?

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Didn't gauntlet have randomized levels?

3. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    My bluetooth is on 100% of the time for two devices I use regularly. I guess I am the anomaly.

With sharing info via AirDrop over bluetooth perhaps more people will have it on all the time too. But I think its moot to be debating this as the developer submitted a fix?

4. Timobrow

Timobrow Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    This is an amazing game. I've been playing it a bit more, and it's a game that just keeps on giving. Simple controls, fun gameplay. I do however have a few problems.

I myself am not a high scores kind of guy. This means the out of game progression system means very little to me. I think it would be cool if in game you randomly came across unlock able skins or something along those lines.

I do have a few issues with the game which might just be me. I don't really like the voice over guy who tells you when your health is low or whatever. I'm not sure if it's just me or what. Also, I still have no idea what gems are for. I had the opportunity to buy one in store, and until then I'd thought it was just converted to your stockpile of gold.

Aside from these small issues/suggestions, this game is seriously a must have.

5. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    As far as I can tell, gems are just there for me collection quests.

6. planckboy

planckboy Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Anyone else having issues loading scores to Gamecentre?
    Pascal if your in this thread can u fix?
    Love all your games mate! Pure genius.

7. Bowflexman

Bowflexman Well-Known Member

May 9, 2011
    Put a couple hours into this now and I am loving if. Very fun, casual dungeon crawl with tons of character. Love the sound effects and music.

8. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #108 Bool Zero, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    Yes and no...It has a standard set sequence of starting levels up until like level 8 or something, then it picks from a pool of rooms and runs then in sequence from the one picked... I remember playing stages early and making it to specific exits in order to advance ahead in rooms. What rooms you had and how many depends on the version or platform you played the game on. I think the NES only had 100 levels whereas the arcade game had 129 of which it would then repeat and just progress the stage number once you had been through all of them...

9. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Gauntlet? Sold!

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Heroes of Loot is surprisingly fun for such a button mashing dexterity based enemy avoidance game. The enemy mobs are frantic and good.

11. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Love it - love everything about it.

Another great OP title.

It really got me when I found a secret area - though I should have known, given previous Orange Pixel games... =oP

This right here is NEVER leaving my device.

12. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    My thoughts exactly:). Nice file size too

13. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Yes I've been playing this all day, can't ever see it leaving my device. Well worth it.

14. db2

db2 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Michigan, USA
    Cool game, but I really can't stand floating virtual sticks. It needs an option for a fixed-position stick/d-pad. (Neoteria would benefit from that as well.) Other than that, I like it so far.

15. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I agree with the floating joystick, because when I started playing this last night the floating stick was killing the experience but then I started playing in icade and it was much better,
    I think a fixed stick will be a great improvement.

16. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Finally got to buy it... Now I need to find a second to play it!!! Hopefully my kid will go to bed sooner rather than later :D

17. Deixa

Deixa Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    For £1.49 the game is rubbish, nothing to offer, don't know what people are on about. All you do is walk around killing the same old enemies. Gets boring after 10 minutes. The moment you die or quit the game, you have to start all over again. There are no permanent upgrades, no unlockables or permanent power ups. The game is pretty much Gunslugs but in a dungeon format. Crap! Waste of money!

18. TomekSzymek

TomekSzymek Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    One thing came to my mind reading your comments...

Almost every game of this type is good. That's really amazing.
    There are bad runners, terrible adventure and arcade games... What about this genre? Almost every game this type is good.

19. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm not saying this is Game of the Year material, but in your quick little assessment you make a lot of assumptions as to what is just expected in a game.

The idea of needing to start over from scratch with each new run is not only a good thing in my book, it is fairly standard in most of the better roguelike games, so not just some sloppy programming from the developers.

20. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Ha... Thanks for reminding me why Dexia was on my ignore list...