Universal Heroes of Loot - (by Pascal Bestebroer)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 11, 2013.

1. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Hmmm just turned my icade on and I got this on screen!
    The buttons are all messed up and it says press start player 2?

Attached Files:

2. orangepascal

orangepascal Well-Known Member

adding that button-glitch to the todo-list for the first update

the 2player mode is there automatically when a controller is used (depending on the controllers you have)

icade obviously only can connect once ;)

3. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Not sure it's possible but any chance of playing in portrait mode? That's how I usually play my icade games :D

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Great game, definitely fast, frantic and fun.

I think the movement can totally improve if 360-degree movement is implemented. Sometimes your movement doesnt feel too precise with just an 8-way run.

Other than that, definitely another Orangepixel winner right here.

5. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    2player mode???? :)
    like in you play on iPad and control with two iPhones?

6. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Can someone explain the shop? I have only once been able to purchase something. All the other times it says I needed more coins even though it appeared I had enough. Is there only one item available? Is it all automatic? You can't talk to the shop keeper? Equipping this is automatic?

7. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    There is only 1 item per shop. The shop keeper talks to you only when you first enter. As far as I can tell, anything you buy is automatically used/equipped.

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I'm liking this game. It's not deep, but does give me that arcade, Gauntlet-style gameplay feel.

9. Protoman

Protoman Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2013
    I'm confused as to why everyone has a problem with it not being a typical rogue-like. It never claims to be in the app description and its clearly Gauntlet. The app description says its a dungeon crawler which is what Gauntlet was originally. So what's the issue?

10. Nutrilica

Nutrilica Member

Mar 17, 2012
    This game looks awesome. I'm gonna get it either way, but I've been looking for a game for my iphone that can compare to Binding of Isaac for PC. Can someone help me, and tell me whether or not this is what I'm looking for?

11. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Autosave feature, that's what I was asking for. Purchasing it tonight when I get home :) Thanks for TOFTT

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    9/10 Gold Award review from Pocketgamer. Congrats, Pascale! :)

13. orangepascal

orangepascal Well-Known Member

yeah thanks :) and a mention on Kotaku.. I'm having a chaotic and weird day today!

14. Claymore Brian

Claymore Brian Active Member

#94 Claymore Brian, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    Well, yes, that is currently the only solution, but it would be nice if you could just search for BT devices and not have it pop up.

If wishes were fishes...

Congrats on the release, Pascal, seems like you're getting a lot of well deserved attention!

15. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    There is like a pause button in the middle of the screen - towards the top slightly off center. Sometimes I tap it and it pauses the game, sometimes nothing happens. Is this the button glitch that was being discussed or was that strictly for iCade?

I have an iPhone 5 if that makes a difference.

16. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    If you have bluetooth on at all - like for the car connection or for a watch etc, the warning does not appear. It seems bluetooth just needs to be on for that not to happen.

17. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Right, but why would you have bluetooth on unless you regularly use bluetooth? Even though it technically goes to sleep if enabled and unused, it still cycles the receiver so incoming connections are recognized, which is a waste of battery power.

I don't use bluetooth except in a blue moon, and then I manually turn it on and then off again because it will be another blue moon before I need it. Not going to cycle it on and off just to avoid an error screen that the dev already said was a bug.

I've never seen a game that searches by default, so you're incorrect to the best of my knowledge. Of the other BT enabled games I have, they all wait for you to initialize something that actually needs the connection before checking to see if it's on or not.

18. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I have no problem with the game as is, but it was described as a roguelike on the devs website prerelease, so that's where the expectations come from.

19. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    To me its a fast pick up and play Rogue-like. I would like to see more random stuff added in. I did chuckle when I heard "Wizard is low on health!"

20. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Game Impressions

Well, the loot & shop mechanic (along with requisite permadeath) is rogue like enough, everything else, not so much now that I've had some time with it.

I would prefer a fixed d-pad to the floaty one that randomly shifts somewhere else with ever minor roll of my thumb.

Otherwise, it's a pretty fun game in short bursts.

The biggest problem with the game is that I can't see where it's doing anything distinctive other than the retro graphics and sound effects. It's essentially the same game as Quadropus Rampage but without the tight controls, detailed loot, detailed stats, variety, lure of upgrades, etc.. Other than what looks like will be a short path to unlocking more enemy types, it's a much more disposable game than I went in expecting.