Universal Heroes of Loot - (by Pascal Bestebroer)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I don't mind mindless action, but in order to work (for me) that normally requires a special degree of presentation and attention to detail. While the graphics (and music, come to think of it) in this instance get a pass, the sound effects (and lack thereof) all but ruin the experience. Character movement is passable at best but lacks a connect with the game world. AI ambles towards you when it sees you round a corner. Certain enemies appear to be able to shoot you through walls. No option to use right stick to shoot yourself; your character faces toward nearest mob automatically.

To answer your main question, with the exception of sound effects there are no glaring flaws at work. It's playable and enjoyable to a point. Also mediocre and uninspired. Take away the art, and little appeal would remain.

2. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I agree with some of this, the AI is really dumb and with it being auto aim only it feels like your playing mini gore with only one stick (which is how I never played it)
    Almost feels like I'm missing a second stick, or playing in easy (auto aim) mode.
    Having said that its still a fun mindless dungeon crawler.

I'd put it in the same category as bit dungeon, looks good, easy to play, and fun.

If your looking for a serious dungeon crawler there's plenty of them out there to play instead.

3. MoHeyNow

MoHeyNow Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Such as?

4. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    I've not had a chance to play this yet, but the gist of your critique seems to indicate that while you are playing a game branded as a rogue-like, you're treating it as a DSS. Combat is inherently a rather simplistic affair in most rogue-like games. The challenge is to see how far you can go before you die by making a series of "guns or butter" choices, not how well you can weave, dodge, and lay down strafing fire :). Again, no clue yet how well they hit the mark on making a rogue like out of these cutesy pixel graphics, but what you've said is no strike against the game advertised.

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I personally would spend $2 on the sound effects alone. Love this.

6. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Watching the TA Plays video definitely makes it seem a lot like a randomized DSS than a roguelike

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Auto-aim seems a little disappointing; hopefully more control schemes can be added later.
    Recommendations for more serious iOS dungeon crawlers include Cavern, WazHack, 100 Rogues, The Quest, Legends of Yore, The Dungeon, Pitman, SilverSword, and others... depending on your definition of "dungeon crawler."

8. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I'm enjoying this so far. Good mindless dungeon running fun, and well presented in OP's usual retro style. Don't expect much in terms of roguelike depth. It's more like a guantlet type game with permadeath and loot.

9. Bowflexman

Bowflexman Well-Known Member

May 9, 2011
    Good game so far. Found a bug. Not sure what happened, I was hit by an enemy then shot through a wall and couldn't get back into dungeon. Aside from this, it's a fun dungeon crawl.

10. Bowflexman

Bowflexman Well-Known Member

May 9, 2011
    Here is a screenshot of the bug

Attached Files:

11. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    #71 retr0spective, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    A couple of questions before purchasing:

Is there any continuity between games via upgrades or rewards or is each re-start a stand-alone session?

Is there a way to save/continue a game in progress or is it meant for bite-sized gaming sessions only? (I realize that it does indicate an infinite amount of dungeons.)

Thanks!

12. yaboyrasp

yaboyrasp Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Fun little time waster

13. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    +1, specially to the last part. Gunslugs is a fantastic game, but the impossibility of saving mid-game to continue after kills it for me... It would be nice if the devs implemented a continue/new game option to Gunslugs when you exit the app.

14. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Today is my birthday too. How 'bout that.

15. Timobrow

Timobrow Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    This is a pretty awesome game.

16. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I freakin' love Gunslugs. I love roguelikes (although this isn't one gameplay-wise). So this is an absolute must!

17. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I couldn't wait for a reply as I just had to pick up a copy after viewing the trailer. I think that this can accurately be described as an orangepixellated version of the original Gauntlet and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Apparently it has an autosave feature that allows you to continue the game where you left off, but so far there does not appear to be any continuity between games aside from the increasing difficulty level. It is similar to the original Gauntlet in that way. Some type of reward would be nice, but the game is extremely satisfying as it is in true old-school fashion.

18. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Should I be playing on my iPhone or iPad?

19. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Happy birthday.

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well bought this at midnight. Really like it, glad you can exit a dungeon and resume it later.

Its just like an updated 'retro' version of Gauntlet for me, really enjoying it so far and looking forward to getting to the later dungeons. A great game