Universal Heroes and Castles - (by Foursaken Media)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Evilkarma

Evilkarma Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Canada
    LOL I didn't even realize that the later gold mines are built outside the walls haha

+1 gold income and - cost would be awesome, haven't come across those yet. I did get a -32% building cost rune though and a -28% unit cost.

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah, getting a Gold+ rune with a -% building or unit cost is a must-use.

3. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

#5563 Foursaken_Media, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    Also, not sure where you're getting the "worth 120 gold" from... every level is 5-10 minutes, which means you're getting anywhere from +300 to +600 gold in an given level; in Endless potentially much more. And of course you can use that gold on anything. If you just add up the amount of gold you'll save with a 12% building rune, its going to depend greatly... if you max out all your buildings (sacrificing units to do so), you might save 300 gold worth (though I still doubt it... 12% on most things is only saving 10-15 gold, + buildings are limited in number so you can only get a maximum savings, apart from wall repairs).

4. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
  5. Evilkarma

Dec 20, 2011
    Canada
    I guess I am under the assumption that it is worth exactly what one gold mine is and/or generates. So true it's more than 120 but the 120 is what you'd use to spend on a gold mine no? I don't know if I'm making any sense to anyone haha

6. Evilkarma

Dec 20, 2011
    Canada
    What's a good strategy with the assassin? I have my +20 damage and +1 gold income rune with it. What skills should I go for? And also I do not understand the Counter Strike skill. It doesn't seem to ever work. I activate it, get hit, and there's no counter?

7. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    It only lasts for about 1-2 seconds so you have to time it just right

8. Evilkarma

Dec 20, 2011
    Canada
    Okay. The +1 is pretty darn good lol pays to try everything I suppose.

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    LOL... More like pays to listen to others from time to time. :D

10. Evilkarma

Dec 20, 2011
    Canada
    Well that's why im here! =)

so far Paladin has my fav hero but now Assassin is REALLY going well. any tips? I've maxed the Assassin unit too and wow

11. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Yeah spamming his assassin units is great

12. Evilkarma

Dec 20, 2011
    Canada
    Who did I just play with?

13. Myndflame

Myndflame Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Man, I really have been having fun with Barb, but playing as Vet again and holy hell, I completely forgot how much of a DPS tank this guy can be. His Charge Attack and his buff stacking move can seriously wreck anything. I even once hit a 692 crit on a Siege Wagon once... actually three times in a row, and it made me laugh so hard when I realized it.

Also, it's good to see the wagons' ridiculous health. It is pretty fair given their insanely slow speed, after all.

I think I might as well quit with Barb. Not used to his risk-reward gains any longer, especially since his health does have very little level scaling to compensate for his huge general DPS.

14. Nyetek

Nyetek Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Captain bonus recipients (and extra leaderboards)

Quick question guys ... which units does the captain actually assist? The description just says 'men' but there are a few characters that appear to be human that don't seem to receive any damage bonus, such as assassins and possibly fire wizards. At first I thought perhaps that they only boost standard melee units (ie peons and pikemen), but I think that they boost crusaders and clerics too so that theory seems out as well. Can anyone list the characters that captains boost?

I have returned after taking a break from the game but I remember when I was last on this thread, a developer from Foursaken would read and respond quite regularly. In case this fellow is still around, I offer my congratulations on a near perfect game and particularly on taking seriously the suggestions of fans and incorporating them into updates. The last suggestion I have is that there should be multiple leaderboards for different characters, at least for single player mode. The point of the leaderboards is to inspire competition and foster the drive for improvement, thereby increasing the game's longevity. Since there is only the one leaderboard recording your longest survival time regardless of which character is used, there is only incentive to improve with your best character. For example the druid is one of the weaker characters (at least for me) and I have never achieved a personal best in endless mode with him. I therefore have little incentive to play with the druid as I cant see how long others last on endless mode with this character and compare/compete with them. But this is a massive waste as the druid is one of the most strategic and fun characters. While the characters are generally well balanced, there will invariably be several that are slightly less effective and these will be ignored unless this feature is added.

15. Nyetek

Nyetek Member

Aug 18, 2012
    #5575 Nyetek, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
    I agree that +gold runes are among the best.

Im interested to know whether others like to use a different rune for each character, or they have a favourite rune(s) that they use for all their characters. I am of the former school, though may be partially just a wish to differentiate my characters. My runes are currently assigned as follows:

Knight = +2HP/s & 10run
    Paladin = +1gold/s & -12% unit cost
    Engineer = +35crit & + 20dmg
    Ranger = +35dmg & + 20dmg
    Clockwork = +1gold/s & +10run
    Mage = +4HP/s
    Assassin = +35dmg & +200HP
    Barbarian = +2HP/s & +20crit
    Druid = +1gold/s & +20crit

I have quite a few legendary runes and some of them are arguably better that those above but I think there is a large element of personal taste and maybe playing style to picking runes. For example many would prefer to go with a damage rune on the knight but I think the +HP and run boosts go well with his taunt ability. I also tend to favour +crit runes probably beyond what they objectively deserve.

I would be most interested to see how other players, particularly high ranking ones, fit out their characters in terms of runes.

16. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #5576 JCho133, Mar 15, 2014
    Captains boost all Men ground units. Not sure why your assassins aren't getting boosted, maybe because they are special units

Btw, Wizards are Wizards, not men.

17. CobrasMano

CobrasMano Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2014
    I'll share which runes I am using with which hero and overall stats.

Paladin (level 99):
    Hp: 1011 Run: 23.6s
    Damage: 200 Critical: 100%
    Armor: 52 Rune: -40% Unit cost

I use that one because it has loads of sinergy with Paladin, since he already have a unit discount. i. e. Tank costs me 140 Gold.

Ranger (level 99):
    Hp: 609 Run: 29.5s
    Damage: 274 Critical: 100%
    Armor: 12 Rune: +1 Gold / 200 hp

I could boost his damage but that rune for me is more useful at late game i.e. avoiding 1-hit-killed by sorcerers past 40:00 minutes.

Mage (level 99):
    Hp: 763 Run: 6.9s
    Damage: 228 Critical: 100%
    Armor: 54 Rune: +35 Damage / 20 armor

Not so proud of this mage build, I think I've messed it up. xD

Veteran (level 99):
    Hp: 1800 Run: 10.7s
    Damage: 200 Critical: 26%
    Armor: 86 Rune: +35 damage / 1 Gold

Really tanky. Again, 1 gold gets useful late game. Another possibility is to add run, since Veteran's run is a must (I gave him many run points though).

Barbarian (level 87 so far)
    Hp: 911 Run: 11.6s
    Damage: 212 Critical: 51%
    Armor: 15 Rune: +35 Damage / +20 Damage

Either rune would be nice for him, such as critical %, health...

18. Evilkarma

Dec 20, 2011
    Canada
    #5578 Evilkarma, Mar 15, 2014
    Someone give me some input to my early game strategy with my Assassin. I have a +1 gold income rune equipped. I start by building a mine (15) and then another (85). Then I buy Assassin 1 and 2 and maybe 3 and run around looking for Wraiths to pick off (hopefully my partner would do the same). My problem is when my partner does not cooperate and just neglects the Wraiths and they slaughter all my Assassins early on which is 300/450 gold wasted. It kind of sucks the Assassin units actually voluntarily attack the Wraiths :mad:

Also I'm starting to spend skill points on stats now, where should I allocate them? I've boosted my armor to 10 already.

19. Dr_joey

Dr_joey Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Railroad president
    Spokane wa
    Runes.

Main thing for me on the subject of runes is to think of the game as a game of economics. What helps keep as much gold in your pockets the better. I use a 40% off units most of the time.

20. Nyetek

Nyetek Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Misc

@ JCho: I can't swear that the captain does not boost the assassin, only that I see no difference. My process in trying to figure it out is to buy an assassin, look at his damage, and then build a captain tent and buy a captain and then look at the assassins damage again once the captain is on the field. The assassin's damage ranges (at my current low level) from 70 to 100plus both before and after. Likewise I don't see any discernible buff with the berserkers. This is in contrast to the crusader (who is also a special unit) whose damage jumps from 100 to around 180.

Wizards look like men though. By that logic peons are peons and crusaders are crusaders and the captain wouldn't boost anybody.

@Cobra: you have some great runes, I would kill for the +35dmg & +1gold one. I agree that your Mage appears to be the odd one out in a host of very powerful looking characters. You've given me a couple of things to think about. Of course there is the choice between damage and health with the ranger, but I never considered using a gold rune on him, though treemen are undeniably awesome. With the barbarian I think there is something to be said for equipping him with a +200health rune so he can run around on half life and make use of his rage (?) ability. I really like how critical gives him AoE though.

@ Evil: can't help I'm afraid, haven't really levelled the three new characters much at all. When in doubt I tend to boost damage. Let me know if you figure out a good build.

@ drjoey: this is a useful way of analysing runes. For example you can see that a +1gold rune is superior to a +2hp rune if you think of how many health potions you can buy during a game of say 10min (though admittedly you need to run back to base which is a disadvantage). Bit harder to compare the +dmg runes with this method though.