iPad Heroes of Might & Magic III - HD Edition (by Ubisoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Aventador, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Hi, I did the review on an iPad 4th gen iOS 8.whatever's newest. No crashing problems at all. Game ran like butter.

2. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Nothing on this world is perfect. I'm not saying they couldn't have done better.

But I wouldn't call the controls messed up. And I didn't need forums or videos to figure them out. I just watched the little multiple screen tutorial that the game forces you to watch twice before your first battle.

Yes, they are sensitive and can be improved. But after that first day of playing with it I've never made an accidental move.

3. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I've been playing almost daily since the first HOMM and I always build creature generators the first week. Money gets easy later in the game, but every week of creatures is important.

4. Cvija01

Cvija01 Active Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Beograd

thanks!;)

5. lavenders2

lavenders2 Active Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Thanks for the comment. Your reviews on this site are awesome btw

6. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    That's why this game is such a classic; multiple paths to victory. I used to play it your way but without the creature boosts you get from having a castle, the number you get in the first few weeks is pretty paltry, IMO. Also, my strategy is to reach level 7 armies asap, and most of them require other infrastructure upgrades. Fielding even 3 of them in the early game will mean no attrition when clearing your area and claiming resources; which is pretty important.

For example, when I play The Academy, I can usually build Giants before the end of the second week, and upgrade them to Titans before the end of the third if I save my money. I can't afford to do that if I'm buying low level creatures, and constantly replacing them. It's the tier 7 and 6 armies that win the day for me; that and a strong caster hero.

Not arguing with you. I just offer this to back up my strategy with some rationale.

7. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    So true. I try multiple strategies often just for fun.

I typically try to get a level 7 creature the first week, and then use the high level creatures to clear as much territory quickly. Even if I lose a few creatures or even heroes, getting most of the mines and a few enemy towns that first couple weeks will usually turn the tide my way.

8. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    I will give that a try. I can see we are just taking different paths to the same goal. Thanks for weighing-in.

Edit: thanks also for not getting "all up in my grill" for offering a different perspective. It's so easy to upset people on this forum these days.

9. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    It's early in the morning here for me so maybe I'm not reading this right.

Are you saying you've been playing HOMM EVERY DAY (almost) since 1995!?
    ...20 years?....daily??

10. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Well, daily is an exaggeration. But I've been an addict since the original HOMM and have put in thousands upon thousands of hours. I have weeks of cold turkey, and weeks of 8 hours a day.

Never tried much of the sequels beyond 3; it just syncs well with my OCD and I'll probably never get tired of it.

11. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Running fine on my IPad 3, latest iOS.
    Zero crashes in 2 hours play.
    And that 2 hours has just felt like a couple of minutes......I love this port.
    The controls, sure, different, but after the first 15 minutes or so, no problem.
    Anyway, back to the game.

12. riker

riker New Member

Jul 7, 2014
    I feel ya! Never put in 8 hours a day but HOMM is definitely one of the best series out there to put an incredible amount of time in, maybe the second best after Civilization. As for the port, I had considerer buying it on PC but ended up buying the iPad version and I couldn't be happier. Not really used to playing for hours on the tablet but HOMM might very well be the game that gets me used to it... :D

13. Spinda

Spinda Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2013
    They are.

Checking an Artifact's info requires a sequence of taps that makes no sense at all.

The sequence of taps for attacking makes no sense at all.

I can't imagine any good mobile developer with a lick of common sense use that control scheme unless they're too lazy and just phoned it in once they got their game working on mobile.

The controls are messed up, and a lazy effort on the part of the developers.

14. jesse_dylan

jesse_dylan Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Works all right for me, and I'm happy to have it on my iPad.

I've been playing Baldur's Gate 2 recently (on PC) and marveling at how cumbersome the interface, combat and inventory management are. But we're happy to have it.

Maybe they'll change the interface in HoMM 3, but once you get used to it, it doesn't seem like too big of a deal to me.

15. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    I agree with both of you. The controls are messed up but I'm so happy to have the game on my iPad that I haven't let them prevent me from enjoying it.

16. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    One fluid drag press to check an artifact, not a sequence of taps that makes no sense. But since selecting artifacts to move them is the primary function, how would you have them do it differently? Not having contextual help or a better tutorial, yes that you can be slightly upset at them for. But the controls themselves?

And how does the sequence of taps (which is only two by the way) for attacking make no sense? A key part HOMM combat has always been exact unit placement. Sometimes you want to move a unit to an exact spot and attack a specific unit, sometimes a different unit from that same spot, and sometimes just move to that exact spot without attacking. How would you design it differently? What could possibly be easier than a simple tap for movement only; and a long press then tap for exact attack? I guess there could be a different method, but it couldn't possibly be easier.

Again, yes, you can be pissed at Dotemu for not including more contextual help, a manual, or longer tutorial perhaps. But once you spend the 60 seconds to figure out 'long press then tap', then what the heck are you complaining about? Tell me what could be simpler. I can't imagine wanting a confirmation button for each move, that would get old fast and drastically slow down combat.

17. Cyl

Cyl Active Member

Nov 15, 2013
    France
    I totally agree with you : once you are used to the controls they are fine. I hope Dotemu will not change them, a simple update of the tutorial will be well enough.

18. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    #178 Ubisububi, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    I would like them to address the large army melee bug, which can cause your stack to move next to a target instead of attacking. I would also like the two finger map scroll to work better; sometimes it stops working. when it does work, attempting to scroll with a hero selected causes that hero's movement location to change. Like you, I think the rest of them work about as well as you could hope, once you get used to them.

19. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land
    Why use 2 finger scroll? Why not just drag your finger on
    the minimap?

20. Shirika

Shirika Well-Known Member

Im sad they lost the source code to the expansions :/