iPad Heroes of Might & Magic III - HD Edition (by Ubisoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Aventador, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Wisely

Wisely Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Could not resist and finally bought the ios version.

Run very smoothly on iPad Air 2 (2 gb RAM probably helps). In keeping with the PC version, it means this is one of the ios games that has many slots for game saves and allow player to save at any turn which is uncommon for ios games.

After reading the many posts in this thread, I have little UI issues except that I wish the map and details are larger for my old eyes.

2. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    #142 IzzyNobre, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    Been playing HoMM3 it since it came out (both when it came out on PC, and the iOS release) and this is how I feel about it:

Interface is a bit of a hackjob. At times it feels like I'm playing an emulated DOSBOX title on a touch screen. On one hand, it makes for a great, authentic HoMM3 experience, just like back on my Pentium 133 at my dad's house some 18 years ago.

On the other, well... it plays like an emulated DOS game that was not meant for a touch screen. It's kinda janky.

The problems are made worse in the battle mode; too many times I meant to attack and ended up just moving next to the enemy. An enfuriating, and at times battle-losing, bug. I reckon it'd be MUCH better to simply not be able to move to a non-attack position once you've triggered the "melee-position hexagon selection mode". Then, a tap anywhere BUT the attack hexagons would cancel the melee.

That being said I've been a hardcore fan of Heroes of Might and Magic since middle school (so, almost 20 years now. As one TA commenter put it, I've been playing HoMM for longer than some of you are alive), so there was NO WAY I was not gonna buy this on day one. I just love this game too damn much.

Hope they fix the interface somewhat, but still money well spent as far as I'm concerned. And yes, I already have the GOG version. Hell, I installed VirtualBox on my Macbook Air with the sole intention of playing the GOG version of HoMM3 Complete.

Edit: holy shit I haven't been here in a long time. Look at that old-ass signature.

3. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Yup. If you read through this thread you'll find you're not alone in this dysfunctional co-dependent love affair. Playing the hell out of it, but those interface bugs... Have you encountered the one that allows you to double-tap on an enemy next to a ranged unit and have that unit move OUT of melee range and fire; all in a single turn? Unfortunately, that one's a lot less common.

4. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Don't be too proud to use the auto battle feature people. It's the little swords icon on the bottom and it runs the battle for you. The game even makes pretty good decisions as well. Makes the combat very stress free and simple.

5. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    It was an instabuy for me because I played this like crazy ages ago. But it needs a few updates and tweaks to make it enjoyable on the ipad.

6. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012

That's my main problem the details need to be larger for my eyes. But it's one of my all time favourites.

7. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    I have an iPad mini. I play palm kingdoms 2 religiously. I play Palm kingdom 2 because HoMM3 is one of my favorite all time games! I bought HoMM3 instantly. Now I don't play Palm kingdom 2, even though you can bet your ass I will still at some point. HoMM3 hasn't even had one issue on my tablet, the screens a bit small and there's no zoom but I can live with it happily. I really really hope somehow they release the expansions. I'm in heaven with this game! I probably already wrote a message earlier on this thread about how much I like it but I really can't remember. All I see when I close my eyes is recruitment screens. I'm in love and I gotta save for an engagement ring!

8. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I basically haven't slept since I bought it. The few little glitches or control nuances are trivial now. I don't think I've had a missed attack or improper move for a couple days now. It's beautiful. I've easily already gotten my $10 worth and I've only played one campaign and one single scenario map so far.

9. Spinda

Spinda Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Game Impressions

Controls are crap

Still it's Heroes III. It's a horrible way to play a great game but if it's your only option or if you want to play it on the go (more than playing it on a laptop)

But the controls are crap. Really, really crap.

The "HD" isn't even all that noticeable. I've put an iPad playing this game side by side a monitor with the game playing and it's not that much of an upgrade.

Feels like a cheap cash in, but at least they didn't turn it into something like Dungeon Keeper mobile. Ugh, the bar is set so low nowadays.

10. incineratee

incineratee Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Controls are bad indeed. When I tap on somewhere the cursor does not show the exact location, instead it looks like its shifted to in between two hexes. Also combat controls are confusing and not working properly.

Also there is a bug that you can not inspect an artifact from your hero screen. It just moves it around.

11. Wisely

Wisely Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    #151 Wisely, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    Into the 3rd campaign and tried 3 single scenarios, game has not crashed even once on my iPad air 2. (attacking first aid tent/ammo cart could lead to crash, since I knew about this bug, I didn't attempt to attack first aid tent/ammo cart).

Other than pathing on the main map which sometimes can be difficult to double tap to move to the exact spot, the battleground interface is working well for me.

12. Hpmor

Hpmor Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2014
    If you tap once to move it and then press and hold you can inspect items on the hero screen.

13. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    You haven't read the thread. There are two easy ways to see artifact info.

1- Click and hold in blank space near the hero and drag your finger to an artifact. The info pops up.

2 - Select artifact and let go. Then select it again and hold. Info pops up.

And the controls are confusing at first, but easy once you learn them. I haven't had a missed attack or wrong move since day one.

14. Cvija01

Cvija01 Active Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Beograd
    Game Impressions

I dont understand Campaigns,what do,can some1 post tutorial?:)

15. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    If this had online multiplayer I wouldn't hesitate buying it

16. Spinda

Spinda Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2013
    So the moral of the story is that it's okay for developers to have messed up controls because there'll always be forums to explain how to perform those messed up control schemes?

Heroes III has terrible controls for an official port. Crap like this would fly for an unofficial port where developers are emulating left and right clicks. But stuff like contextual menu instead of garbage controls like long tap/double tap or an actual button to see artifact info instead of lift then setdown with long tap is what should be expected of an official port.

17. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    There are many many tutorials available for this game, but if you're looking for some tips on getting started:

1. Build your town hall up to a Capitol before anything else. You will need the money it generates.
    2. Send 2 heroes out to gather scattered resources and to capture resource generators as soon as possible. Find a sawmill and an ore pit asap, and then wait until you are strong enough to capture the others, which will be guarded.
    3. Water wheels and windmills give free resources once per week. Be sure to tap them weekly.
    4. Don't spend money on recruiting any creatures in the first 2 weeks. Use your cash to build your infrastructure.

18. lavenders2

lavenders2 Active Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Can anyone comment on performance on iPad 4th gen? The reviews on the app store are vague and dont say what model the game is crashing on, and I dont wanna buy this if it crashes a lot

19. incineratee

Aug 14, 2010
    This.

For the battle screen, they could at least change it to double tap to attack for both melee and ranged units. Right now it is weird.

20. incineratee

Aug 14, 2010
    I have no idea about 4th gen iPad but I own a 3rd gen and it had no problems so far, so I would say It's fine.