iPad Heroes of Might & Magic III - HD Edition (by Ubisoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Aventador, Jan 29, 2015.

1. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    I am using air 2 no issue

2. skeletors helmet

Patreon Bronze

Dec 7, 2012
    Works great on the iPad Air, now all I've got to do is work out what the hell is going on. The tutorial is diabolical. The developers obviously thought that only people who played the original back in the day would buy this. I'm sure YouTube will rescue me!

3. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    Same here, I have totally no idea how to play.
    Even the turnbased fights are a mystery to me.
    Seems that you can turn off auto-combat, but even then I only manage to do range attacks.

Do someone have a link to a noob manual. Yes, I find a lot of manuals and walkthoughs but not for the basics of the game.

Greetings

4. Coldstream

Coldstream Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Netherlands
    For everyone struggling combat (which they clearly explained multiple times) for ranged attack you need to hold your finger on the enemy and then choose a yellow tile.
    For ranged attack you need to double tap.

5. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    So shall I answer my own question then?

Modifying the ipa will allow this to run on iPhone. That plus forcegoodfit (look it up), works quite well. I will say anything below 6+ is not ideal. Like really, iPhone 5, is no way. Even on 6+ you will want to use the screen zoom functionality of iOS 8. Writing is quite small, but not the smallest I've seen. At least using the zoom functionality lets you looks closer at the map/battle and maybe more accurately press on the screen which is a complaint a few iPad users have had already. So if iPad also has the built in iOS 8 zoom functionality then maybe consider using it.
    Boom

And you're welcome.

6. Wisely

Wisely Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    How far are you into the game? I am using iPad air 2. If it runs well I will be more than happy to spend the $10

7. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    It's so depressing that I can maximize the screenshots for this game to the right size on my iPhone 6 and the UI doesn't feel small at all. Here's to hoping they make it universal.

8. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Is a long game I am playing the first campaign no crash or any annoying dump to screen

9. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    How do you view the stats on items on your hero? If I hold on them, I see on the bottom of the screen it says I can view that item, but I don't actually get any details of the artifact?

10. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I agree that HOMM newbies will probably need to google the manual or watch some gameplay to get the basics of the game down.

I don't understand the control issues. The forced tutorial screens show all the attack options twice. Yes, it is a bit easier to make a mistake and move instead of attack, versus with the mouse, but overall the controls are beautiful imho.

I have run into an occasional game crash, but not enough to be annoying.

11. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Well at the moment in with those having problems with the controls. Mainly just on the attack screen. When it gets to an tactic screen......fingers off screen or else!!! Anywhere you click is potentially an unconfirmed immediate move. That and you have to scour the screen to see who's turn it is. Attack screen is woefully done for iOS.

Then the tutorial which I'm in right now. Barely any information. I've actually seen none at the moment on how to attack. I'm yet to even work out how to get my units to attack individually so I just click auto attack. Really very annoying. Add to that, right now I'm just walking around aimlessly. I've seen what I think is the "to do" screen (can't rmeember how I got to it), and I think I'm meant to wipe out the AI enemy. Trouble is, I've been everywhere (tony map), and can't find anything to do. Fantastic tutorial. I've maybe seen 2 or 3 pop ups of "information".

12. Franzbrötchen

Franzbrötchen New Member

Jan 30, 2015
    To all who have trouble making sense of the tutorial: Inexplicably, the developer removed a message at the beginning of the tutorial telling you to print out the tutorial PDF (part of the original CD-ROM) and follow along. You can still find the PDF by googling. That way, the tutorial should make more sense.

13. Zenfar

Zenfar Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    http://www.zenfar.com
    The classic but can it make the jump to iOS...

14. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    I was also confused at first, but then I discovered that there is a scenario.

In the main screen next to the hero (red squares) click on the flag and then on scenario information. You know what to do then.
    On that same screen you find a button 'DIG'. Keep that button in mind.
    You'll have to dig and I searched maybe half an hour until I figured out how to dig.

Very confusing game in the beginning, but I'm learning. I'm reading the full manual now (more than 100 pages).

Bought also Pike and Shot. Great tutorial but very steep learning curve. My brain is cooking now.

15. Skinypupy

Skinypupy Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    I'd consider HOMM 3 one of my all-time favorite games, and I've spend hundreds of hours with it on PC. It was at the top of my list of "most wanted" games on iOS.

Given the feedback of how it's been implemented, however, I'm going to steer clear of this version. I think I'm much better off simply loading up my Complete version from GoG when I need a HOMM fix.

16. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Hey all,

if you search "Let's Play Heroes of Might & Magic III" on youtube there is a series of videos done by some female gamer. I found it very helpful in learning combat basics and some strategy.

Another thing I dislike about the game is the ability to check what an item actually does after you've acquired it. When you pick it up or receive it initially you can hold down on it to get a description. Unfortunately once it is in your inventory you cannot see its description again.

17. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    There's when you describe the horrible controls.. You can see what it does by unequip the item and then very carefully hold on the item it doesn't work all the time need make sure the item registers your tap as a long hold and not trying to equip it.. Just wish the Dev fix all these quirks quickly

18. Franzbrötchen

Franzbrötchen New Member

Jan 30, 2015
    I thought so too at first, but i found that you could get a description by tapping, releasing and then holding your finger on the item. Kind of obscure.

19. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    To attack: hold finger on target, then select yellow hex to attack from, even of your unit is already there.

To get info on item, hold finger on item, then place back to paper-doll position, then tap again and hold. The ui first wants you to move it, before you can get info, that's the key.

Aside from these two odd ui issues, very well made port.

20. Wisely

Wisely Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    #100 Wisely, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    Went and installed the PC version to try out...even the PC version has UI issues. The UI design was probably ok 15 years ago, now it is outdated.

Tried the tutorial and could not figure out for the life of me how to purchase a spell book for Lord Haart.

The tutorial instruction said I would be asked to purchase a spell book by clicking on the mage guild but I was not prompted.

Managed to get into the Guild Mage Screen with all the spells but couldn't buy any spell.

Is it because Lord Haart still cannot cast spell at level 2? Need basic spell skill to buy spell? Or is there something I need to do?