iPad Heroes of Might & Magic III - HD Edition (by Ubisoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Aventador, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Spinda

Spinda Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Making a better interface suited to mobile instead of trying to emulate left and right clicks with idiotic gestures.

I'm not talking about a tutorial telling the player how to do a pointless convoluted sequence of taps to check an Artifact's interface because the developers were too lazy to actually create a new control scheme that does away with having to decide if a player was trying to do a left or right click. I'm talking about a proper interface that lets look up an artifact's information without having to use what obviously is a ridiculous workaround.

Menus that pop up when clicking makes more sense than the whole idiotic long tap-double tap-system. And the menu serves as a secondary confirmation so players won't accidentally tap the wrong tile and not be able to undo their mistake.

2. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I'd be very interested in hearing what your ideas would be on what exact controls would be preferable.

Going beyond the initial brevity of instruction and difference in controls, how exactly is a simple one touch hold and drag 'idiotic' or 'ridiculous'? How exactly is a simple long press and tap 'idiotic' or 'ridiculous'? How could it be simpler than anything else? Please give a specific example. I'm genuinely curious and would love something even simpler, but I can't think of anything easier given what the game has to by necessity emulate. It's looking like you're just attacking because it's different and not communicated well.

And I really think that menus that pop up for secondary confirmation would be the absolute worst thing possible. Every combat has dozens to hundreds of moves. Do you really want to double the time it takes to resolve each battle?

Again, I sympathize with your initial frustration and would love to see the best PC game ever made even better; but I simply don't see how the basic combat controls could be better. Once you understand long press tap to attack, and tap to move; any accidents are your own fault, just like accidental clicks on the mouse affect PC games.

3. Cyl

Cyl Active Member

Nov 15, 2013
    France
    #183 Cyl, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    You are right about the two fingers scrolling bug, it is very annoying and not safe : I even have to reload saves because of this...
    About the big units thing, I get used to it : the hex for attack is gold rounded and I never made mistakes anymore.

I am more worry about the use of spells by units. For example : I often cast archangel resurrection when I just want to consult units stats. Maybe I missed something... In this (relatively rare) case a confirmation box would be welcome.

4. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    All of these are just bugs to be ironed out, so I'm not particularly worried. Regarding the large army bug, be careful. it happens sometimes when you select a gold outlined box, too; usually when you select the forward of the two hexes the army will occupy.

5. Spinda

Spinda Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2013
    I already gave an example.

Menus and buttons.

A menu popping when a tile is selected, asking if the player what they want to do on a tile to move a unit to a spot, melee attack a unit, use a ranged attack, look up an enemy's info, or cancelling the tile selection makes far more sense than long tap and double tap (which is similar to the action required to look up an enemy's info)

A button to turn a tap into a right click in the inventory screen makes more sense than some sequence of taps that make no sense.

And since "A key part HOMM combat has always been exact unit placement" giving the player a secondary confirmation and a direct to the point way of asking them what they want to do with a unit is far better than some ridiculous long tap double tap for melee ranged.

Especially when ranged units can't perform a melee attack unless the enemy is standing right beside them, so it's pointless to even have two separate actions for attacks since there will never be a time when a ranged unit can choose between melee and ranged.

6. Wisely

Wisely Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    #186 Wisely, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015

I thought archangel resurrection ability is a random proc...

After I read your post I realise I should have tapped on my own units to use his special ability.

7. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Moved from easy difficulty to normal in campaign mode.
    Ouch, got my angel army handed to me on a plate.
    Love it.

8. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    Honestly the WHOLE interface is moronically lazy and could've been worked on a bit before releasing this.

9. Wisely

Wisely Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    In some scenarios hordes of mobs asked to join my heroes.

This seems like the best skill a hero could have? Was it Leadership and diplomacy that help?

At one point I have 900 Grand Elves....and they could kill a stack of 20 dragons on its own.

10. Spinda

Spinda Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Wisdom for stuff like Town Portal and Dimension Door
    Earth Magic for Mass Slow
    Air Magic for Mass Haste
    Logistics for more Move

Other than that, Offense, Armorer, Tactics (if Mass Haste isn't enough)

Estates for anyone who isn't the main hero. Also considering it takes a ton of time to get 900 Grand Elves (7/week, so that's nearly 130 weeks) as opposed to 20 Dragons (all the Level 7 Dragons grow at 1/week, so 20 weeks) it's expected that 900 Grand Elves, with the bonuses from a Hero would take out 20 Dragons

11. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Diplomacy :)

Leadership boosts morale, which has a chance to give units an extra turn in combat. It's a waste of a talent, though, because morale, like Luck, is easily boosted with artifacts.

12. Cyl

Cyl Active Member

Nov 15, 2013
    France
    The game crash every time I attack an enemy war machine. Really very annoying !
    How can my ancients behemots will get rid of these legions of marksmen when a balist block the way ?

I have done all the campaigns without a single problem (okay, maybe one or two but nothing serious).
    Now in scenarios with a raised up difficulty it is almost a game breaker...

13. ichigo1978

ichigo1978 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Any way to install new MAPS without jailbreak ?

14. Wisely

Wisely Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    There was a patch right now. Just stated bug fix.

Does anyone know how to delete a saved game from the iPad? I cannot find any delete option.

Thanks in advance.

15. @DE_Clements

@DE_Clements Active Member

Dec 7, 2013
    March 24th Update Release: Anyone know of any further information on what was addressed in this update? ...Other than "Bugs Fixed".

16. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Easily my favorite game of all time. I wish it was the complete set. I think I'll get crossover and buy it from GoG just to get the old familiar tune.

17. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Yeah, me too. However glad I am to have it on iPad, it really peeters out quickly without the expansions; which is why I still prefer to play this on my Surface Pro.

18. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Woah! I've been asking around for months trying to find someone who plays windows/dos games on a windows tablet. I've been tempted to buy a surface, and admit that pretty much the only thing I'll do with it is play HOMM and other lower spec requirement games.

So how does it play? Need a mouse I imagine? Any warnings or recommendations on getting a surface?

19. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    The typecover keyboard has a built in trackpad that works pretty well. I've also found that a stylus that can be programmed to simulate a right-click is surprisingly slick; it even hides the cursor. Even with neither of things, it's still playable because the surface simulates a right click when you tap/hold. It also plays Alpha Centauri, Age of Wonders, Civ 5, and Beyond Earth quite well. The last two are even optimized for a touch interface. I'll be buying a new device later this year and it will likely be a Surface Pro rather than an iPad. I just hate Freemium so damn much...

20. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Sweet, thanks ubi!