Universal Herodom (by Sander Frenken)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Herodom, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Congratulations on the new baby. I am sure people don’t mind with slowing down, especially with the amount of post release contents you provided.

I don’t even mind you releasing the new content as Herodom2, with how different the game become compared to its initial release.

Herodom and ProneVengeance like this.
  2. mgambino

mgambino Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I don’t know how you have time to do anything game related with a new baby. I, quite seriously, don’t remember blocks of days due to sleep deprivation.

I’m told (by the authorities) that I marched into a Toys R Us 5 minutes before closing yelling “Breast Pump!” over and over again while waving my credit card. After purchasing said breast pump, in cash, I was “given a ride home” by the police, where I apparently begged him not to send me back to “that thing” and started crying. The cop felt bad for me and stopped to grab my wife and I Dunkin Donuts on his way back too.

I have no memory of any of this, or the day before. I also went to work that day and the day before. I carried a gun for work at the time.

Morals of the story, I don’t handle babies well and don’t push it.

Herodom and ProneVengeance like this.
  3. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    So, how did the breast pump feel?

Herodom likes this.
  4. mgambino

Aug 13, 2014
    i shouldn’t have an answer for this... but I do. It felt like someone trying to rip my nipple off, giving up, and then immediately trying again.

Herodom, ProneVengeance and Jstorm like this.
  5. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    I know the feeling.

Herodom, ProneVengeance and mgambino like this.
  6. Herodom

Herodom Active Member

hahahahhahaha epic :p

7. Herodom

Herodom Active Member

With the baby here I somehow did find extra time to work on Herodom, most likely because here in the Netherlands we get 6 weeks of parental leave. So I took some time to work on a new update of Herodom, which is now live!

In this new version (v4.0), you can now visit the royal gardens. At the royal gardens you can farm crops, trees and animals and use those during battles. I hope it provides some incentive to return to Herodom, and replay levels already completed. Next big release I will implement an endless mode with a new reward system!

Let me know if you have any feedback!

Jstorm, stubbieoz and freeworld like this.
  8. Herodom

Herodom Active Member

Hi there :)

It's been a while since I posted here, but recently I released version 5.0, which includes an endless mode! In endless mode, you face an infinite amount of waves. The further you get, the more skulls you earn to spend in the reward shop. Unlock new bodies and hairstyles for the wardrobe, or trees, crops and animals for your farmlands, and much more!

2.png

3.png

freeworld, Jstorm and stubbieoz like this.
  9. Herodom

Herodom Active Member

Ohh and I made the main character/ logo from Lego! I have to show it to you here :D

What do you think about?

herodom-lego-small.png

10. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    How have I not seen this game?!? I’ve just read the majority of this thread and damn Jstorm has built quite the relationship hahaha. Went from gaming to newborns to nipple pains for men trying breast pumps. What a thread!!! Being a man myself my curiosity has gotten the best of me on a few occasions as well when it comes to raising a baby. Breast milk testing included haha not quite a fan (;

All that being said I am downloading NOW and look forward to playing this gem

Jstorm likes this.
  11. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Also that Lego thing is BAD ASS!

12. Herodom

Herodom Active Member

Thanks!!! I am also very happy with it, I might even make more of them of other characters :D

13. Herodom

Herodom Active Member

Hahahah that is something! My wife also asked me if I wanted to try the milk, but I really hate milk so I skipped that one :p
    I hope you will enjoy Herodom, let me know what you think about if you have time :)

14. mgambino

Aug 13, 2014
    I didn’t taste the breast milk (although my son was glad to share it with my clothing).

I did try the breast bump. It felt like someone with the power of Hercules was trying rip my nipple off... 10/10, would recommend.

Side note: Great update.

Herodom likes this.
  15. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    How long did the Lego picture take you and would you make another for sale Mayhaps? Not sure how much it’s be to ship that from the Netherlands to Texas but if not it’s okay I was just curious

Herodom likes this.
  16. Herodom

Herodom Active Member

It didn't take me too long. There is a tool that allows to convert an image (whether pixel art or not) to a lego matrix, including which studs you need to order plus the instructions to make it once you would have the studs. As the lego base plate is 48X48 studs, I took a sample that was exactly 48X48 pixels as well, to make it match 1:1. This is the site which I used:

https://lego-art-remix.debkbanerji.com

In the process it also generates an xml file with the exact information on what studs you need, and this xml you can upload at:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/main.page

to have it search all available stores for the studs you need, and autocreates the baskets for you in the shops.
    So then it comes down to pay for the studs, and wait till they arrive.

I am actually thinking about allowing one to walk through these steps from the game in some form.
    One could create his own character in Herodom, and using some automation I might be able to get the lego-fied version of it generated.

Ofc, it is quite some work, and in sum I think it took me 15 hours to investigate this all, order the bricks and put it together.
    Lego is expensive, in sum it cost me around 150 EUR.

So, yes, I would love to make more and ship them I am also fine with. But I think it might be costly, more than you might have expected..
    What do you think?

17. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Thanks for the lengthy reply. Yeah I’ve seen the Lego Star Wars images like you made and they go for about $120 here in the USA. Now that you have the breakdown of what you need I’m sure you could mitigate some of the costs to make more. I’m saving to buy my own house currently and would like to do something like those as some pictures in my game room. I’ll get back to you on the request though cause I really like it and have no problem paying for someone else’s hard work. Plus something like that is a good story piece and original (;
    As for putting the process in Herodom ‍♂️ lol you gotta make that decision and weigh your time and costs vs in game worth. Sounds fun though

Herodom likes this.
  18. Herodom

Herodom Active Member

Hi there!

Recently I released Herodom version 5.1 with a big change: Herodom now is translated to Spanish!

This was requested often, and I hope the translation will serve a lot of happiness to the Spanish speaking Heroes!

Next up I am working on German, which I am able to do myself.

After that, I am looking to localize it to Italian, French, Japanese and Russian as well. But that will be a bit harder, since I lack knowledge on these languages. So might you have any suggestions for this, please let me know:)

19. Herodom

Herodom Active Member

Hi everyone!

I now released version 5.2 of Herodom, and now you can enjoy Herodom is Russian.
    This was quite a big change, as the font I used for English and Spanish does not support the Cyrillic alphabet.
    So I went out on a search, and luckily found a good matching font that did support Cyrillic:

Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 12 Pro Max - 2021-04-07 at 21.34.53.png

Now, the other problem was that the fontsizes didn't match, so I had to introduce some logic to change the fontsize depending on the localization in use. Well, lesson learned for next time ;)

But, now my next target is.. Japanese! Looking around if there are people interested in translating Herodom to Japanese (against payment ofc). If you know anyone.. Just let me know I would be very grateful!

20. Herodom

Herodom Active Member

Hi there:) I am looking for your much valued advise! Should I add additional items for the Wardrobe, to be unlocked via an in-app purchase? This would only concern aesthetic items, not new levels/ or other gameplay related content.

I am not a fan of in-app purchases when it comes to gameplay content. In Herodom there is now one in-app purchase, which unlocks all the levels after level 6. This more or less allows any potential buyer to first try the game to see whether he/ she likes it enough to purchase the game. Personally I think this is a fair system, to both the developer and the players.

With additional in-app purchases it really depends on the use case imo.
    Looking at pure aesthetic items that unlock via an in-app purchase can be an interesting addition. Some persons that reviewed Herodom actually requested this, for example because they really liked to experiment with the wardrobe, but didn't want to complete the full game to access all the items.

Personally, might such an in-app purchase generate more income, it could allow me to focus on creating extra content for Herodom, both aesthetically and gameplay wise (for example, it might allow me to work less hours on my 9-5 job). In that sense it can benefit both the players and myself.

But I am not sure how such an in-app purchase would be perceived by you. Maybe you totally understand and appreciate it, or the complete opposite is also possible. I would really love to hear your thoughts on this, in order for me to make the right decision going forward.