Universal Herodom (by Sander Frenken)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Herodom, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    That’s very nice of you to offer that. I am glad my suggestions are helping you. No, I don’t mind being added to the credits at all.

I like your game a lot. It’s very unique, and I can tell that your development focus is to provide entertainment to players. I am more than eager to support such developers and I want to see products by them to evolve and get widely known to people. Doing so also somewhat help me practice positive criticism as well.

2. Herodom

Herodom Active Member

Yes you are very good at giving constructive feedback, and you have a very good eye for detail and insights into what can make or break a game. You should work in the game industry:)
    Do you have a preference how I should credit you?

3. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Thanks. Well, I do work in the IT field, not games though.
    Just Jstorm will do.

By the way you maybe aware, but the graveyard and wardrobe seems to crash on my 2019 iPad. Wardrobe progress is saved at when the crash occurred.

While these features don’t affect the gameplay, you might want to take a look at them. It happens after playing the game for some time, and does not occur right after restart.

Herodom likes this.
  4. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    I’ve finished the game. Still missing 3 heroes though. Are there secret levels or something? While I can guess who they are, I have no idea how.

Also, towards the final stages of the game, my army couldn’t fit in a screen.
    It would be great if catapult/barista has some sort of auto firing mechanics that fires at the last fired location/direction, with some delays after reload to give some benefit on manual firing.

Attached Files:

Herodom likes this.
  5. Herodom

Herodom Active Member

Ah alright, what do you do in IT? I am also in IT professionaly, developing mobile apps for a big finance company in the Netherlands.

Yes there are some crashes I see as well from the monitoring. I think there are some memory leaks present, which is always a fun job to pinpoint...

6. Herodom

Herodom Active Member

Oewww wow congrats! Did the game still have a proper framerate while using this army against Leonidas?

Yes the autofire.. I had that actually, then stripped it as it was hard to make right. For the ballista it is easier, but for the catapult the pain comes when it autofires and hits all your own units. OFC i tried making it smart enough, but I quit that excercise as I thought that people would actually be more engaged when the do the firing themselves.
    I will give it another night of sleep to think about how to progress with it!

7. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Well, I do everything but the coding and the sales. That’s what an IT engineer In my country is... One day I am doing a software design, another day I am setting up a cloud, the next day I am discussing legal matters with a customer...

Herodom likes this.
  8. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    I did notice some frame rate drop but didn’t crash.

I think just having catapults to fire the spot designated by the player repeatedly will be helpful enough. With my setup I ended up just firing baristas and occasionally checking the enemy formation to see where their healer is. Well, maybe my army was a bit overkill to begin with though.

Herodom likes this.
  9. Herodom

Herodom Active Member

Haha well, it does make your job diverse! So where you from?

10. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    I’m from Japan.
    Well, if you look at my job positively, it is indeed diverse. In other words I don’t specialize in anything.

Herodom likes this.
  11. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    I found a hero in my village, but I only have 25 rubies left and I could not afford the hero.

Is there any way to acquire more rubies with the.m current version?

12. Herodom

Herodom Active Member

Yes, at the moment there is none I found. I fixed it already, but I still need to release the version. With the update, you can replay levels to get more rubies, also for levels you cleared before. I might do the same for resources in the same update as well!

Jstorm likes this.
  13. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    It seems there was a major update a week ago, adding more control over your army during battles.

The amount and the speed of post release contents are just amazing.

Herodom likes this.
  14. Herodom

Herodom Active Member

Thanks for the compliments :)

I am glad that it doesn't go unnoticed. There is a new version pending release atm, which will deliver new weapons and adds the ability to replay levels for resources. I am also working hard on a grid system that will help position the units better!

So all and all, that is going good. Reception of Herodom is very positive, but after Apple featured Herodom, the downloads are now dropping quickly. I am looking for ways to promote Herodom better, but up to now I am failing that a bit :(

how are you doing?

15. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    I am doing fine. I just hope this hot weather is over soon.

Sadly, I can’t really help you with promoting your game. Maybe ask a Youtuber to cast or something?

16. Herodom

Herodom Active Member

Ahh was/ is Japan also so hot these days? Here in Europe temperatures were out of the ordinary last period, we are so not used to that!

No I understand! You did so much already for me :) Herodom's user base is still growing organically, and it appears stable now. so it isn't a big problem also!

17. Herodom

Herodom Active Member

I just released a new update on Herodom, where you can see a grid during units placement (I say "can", because this feature can also be disabled if you like.

I think it is a major improvement, and it was suggested here among others. So thanks a lot for that point of feedback!

I will continue with improving on all the other feedback I received:)

ProneVengeance and stubbieoz like this.
  18. ProneVengeance

ProneVengeance New Member

Oct 14, 2020
    Male
    Absolutely loved this game dude!! Have just finished it for the second time. Really looking forward to any future updates.
    Most of my criticism of the game has already been covered in within this thread but for the sake of it I’ll mention it again.
    Frame rate dropping when high number of units on screen mostly only slight but occasionally heavy and has once or twice crashed. Particularly annoying when your 5 or 6 waves deep.
    Touch register and where you actually press is slightly off - don’t know if this is a resolution issue???

Suggestions for future updates:-
    Auto-save (I’d suggest after wave 3) or selective save feature between waves.

New unit: Calvary. I think this would add even more depth and difficulty.

Ability to select more than one unit.
    - Needs to be able to move troops as a group, to go one step further you could include a selection of preset formation shapes for the troops to snap into upon the players bequest.
    - Delete/Refund selected troops function.

Heroes Special Ability.
    This would be an exciting feature and could add another dimension to gameplay, particularly if the enemy heroes also have use of their own special abilities.

Thanks for making this game man! Such a great game with huge replay value given the extra memory slots. I’m about to start a third slot now!
    Couple of questions if I may?
    Are you planning on adding further levels in future updates?
    Is it possible to collect all of the heroes in gameplay and walking within the village or do the “secrets” you’ve mentioned unlock a couple of heroes?
    I’ve got 51..so close

thanks again, great work!

Herodom and Jstorm like this.
  19. ProneVengeance

ProneVengeance New Member

Oct 14, 2020
    Male
    Absolutely loved this game dude!! Have just finished it for the second time. Really looking forward to any future updates.
    Most of my criticism of the game has already been covered in within this thread but for the sake of it I’ll mention it again.
    Frame rate dropping when high number of units on screen mostly only slight but occasionally heavy and has once or twice crashed. Particularly annoying when your 5 or 6 waves deep.
    Touch register and where you actually press is slightly off - don’t know if this is a resolution issue???

Suggestions for future updates:-
    Auto-save (I’d suggest after wave 3) or selective save feature between waves.

New unit: Calvary. I think this would add even more depth and difficulty.

Ability to select more than one unit.
    - Needs to be able to move troops as a group, to go one step further you could include a selection of preset formation shapes for the troops to snap into upon the players bequest.
    - Delete/Refund selected troops function.

Heroes Special Ability.
    This would be an exciting feature and could add another dimension to gameplay, particularly if the enemy heroes also have use of their own special abilities.

Thanks for making this game man! Such a great game with huge replay value given the extra memory slots. I’m about to start a third slot now!
    Couple of questions if I may?
    Are you planning on adding further levels in future updates?
    Is it possible to collect all of the heroes in gameplay and walking within the village or do the “secrets” you’ve mentioned unlock a couple of heroes?
    I’ve

20. Herodom

Herodom Active Member

Thank you so much for writing here! I am so glad to read about your enthusiasm and pleasure playing Herodom.

I appreciate the feedback and suggestions (Cavalry yeaahh! But I am first working on some other new unit as we speak btw :) ) as well a lot, I note it all down on my backlog.

Currently I am working on quite some stuff: New levels, a new battle unit and a completely new gameplay element providing a lot of replay time. Thereafter I will also do endless mode and hero abilities.
    I have to mention, we just had a new baby so I am working as much as I can, but a bit slower than before. Sorry for that!

All heroes are collectable in the village, secret heroes will come in future updates, but as of now you need to be lucky and spot the remaining heroes in the village :)

Thanks again for your writing. All the best!