Universal Hero Siege - (By Panic Art Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Bronxsta, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NIBUMZ

NIBUMZ New Member

Dec 20, 2013
    I noticed that if you lock your phone to like eat or do whatever it is your doing it will start you back at the beginning and you will lose all your items. Not a huge deal but a little frustrating when you have a ton of good items

2. Panicci

Panicci Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2012
    CEO of my own company
    Finland
    Yeah the marksman does crit, but it doesnt do the effect. Im going to fix this now.

Also the bug with the puzzles only happens with multishot level 1 since none of the arrows go to the left direction, this is also fixed in the next version which is pending approval in appstore now! :p

3. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Awesome. I will report anything else I find.

4. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I just love it! Level 18 Pyromancer till now and I just unlock the second act! 4 stars for now and after the update and the small fixes a solid 5 for me!

P.S: to the dev. I tried to buy the double exp iap and doesn't work. One more member here said the same for the double gold iap.

5. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    No GC achievements? :(

6. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    #66 Nobunaga, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    It would be really nice if when you picked up a potion it either;
    a) didn't stop you from moving or
    b) stopped you and everything else.
    Twice I've been killed because of this.
    Also a quick save for the event you need to exit the game would be great. A game on this can run pretty long.
    Edit: I guess I should say that this game is really good. Better than heroes of loot, in my opinion. Similar though. I wouldn't go in expecting Diablo.
    This is really something more like Gauntlet. Or, and this is a massive compliment, the best game like Solomon's Boneyard/Keep since Solomon's. More like boneyard.

7. Panicci

Dec 29, 2012
    CEO of my own company
    Finland
    Thanks hehe :) The potions are made that way yeah, but i'm going to decrease the time a bit for sure.. And I wouldnt say Diablo either, just the overal style is inspired by Diablo ^^. Gauntlet would be a more accurate reference

8. dja1ien

dja1ien Active Member

Mar 10, 2013
    #68 dja1ien, Dec 21, 2013
    This is a fantastic mashup of dual stick shooter and roguelike. There's permanent stat increases between plays and while I was originally concerned that most of the "loot" is just coins, once I realized the intent was to use it for character builds during that single play through it makes a lot of sense.

Gameplay is way too frantic to do much more than that so snagging random relics to build your character and pushing which stats you want using coins do an admirable job of squeezing fast character progression into each play without the inevitable huge sense of loss that most roguelikes elicit upon death. Getting to try out a different character build every single time you play makes me want to dive right back in for one more spin.

One thing I should mention is that it doesn't appear that the levels/dungeons are randomly generated (as in procedurally built), but randomly -selected- from a list of prebuilts. It's a bit of a letdown since I've seen the same dungeons and done the same puzzles numerous times, and might be something to clarify further on the game description.

It's likely that the game engine can't handle actual procedural generation, and all the other random elements (map selection, enemy wave makeup, relics, etc.) do a great job of keeping everything fresh; it's only glaringly noticeable on the puzzles (which are quick to complete anyway).

TL;DR: this game scratches so many of my gameplay itches: frantic dual-stick shooter, permanent character stat boosts, random power ups (and power downs) during play, pickups that can really change play style (relics)... It distils what is so wonderful about aRPGs and roguelikes into bite-sized chunks!

9. dja1ien

dja1ien Active Member

Mar 10, 2013
    #69 dja1ien, Dec 21, 2013
    MILD SPOILER BELOW!!!

I had the exact same thought about the potion pickups after getting pummeled during the animation a few times, but this is actually by design. I don't want to give it fully away but on one of my playthroughs it became a nonissue, and now I'm excited for the random number generator to bless me like that again!

10. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    #70 anabolicMike, Dec 21, 2013
    Sorry guys I guess I shoulda read the entire post before I posted the other day. Obviously all you guys are younger then 30 lol. No one made any jokes about my Commodore 64 reference. That was a machine man. The king of machines. Still holds record.

Anyways, buying this on my iphone 5s right now. I've got it for my note 10.1 already. It's pretty wild. It's my favourite dual stick shooter I've run across in awhile. Sorry heroes of loot but I enjoy this much better. Just the wackiness and etc make it so much damn fun ;)

You made it in game maker? Great use of that program. Impressive actually. Good job! Get this game guys! I hope everyone gets it

Hey Mr. Dev are you gonna write up a post mordum or anything how how it does or your trials and tribulations? I enjoy reading stuff like that :). Thanks much eh?

EDIT: Oh yes. Issues!

First one is that there is no confirmation in the store as soon as you click something you've bought it. Not to bad just cost me tons of crystal while I was clicking things to see what they were! :(

Second one and an annoying one. When you pick up a potion you immediately freeze and hold it straight up in the air. During that second I've been swarmed, squashed, shot and burned to death (maybe I made up burned). Anyway, it's horrible lol. I understand it would take time to pick a potion off the floor but what kind of silly dufus would hold it above his head like a baby finding candy while a massive boulder is falling on his head? (I know other people said this very thing but maybe if I say it it's like a petition or something)

Just thoughts lol. God this game is hard! Good good good!

11. dja1ien

dja1ien Active Member

Mar 10, 2013
    See my previous post on this. Once I realized it was a gameplay element I find it to actually be an enjoyable component; perhaps think about it as a risk/reward thing when you're deciding when to pick up...

12. Panicci

Dec 29, 2012
    CEO of my own company
    Finland
    yeah true, the dungeons are not generated randomly but chosen from a list of dungeons.

What we will do to improve on this: After I'm back from my holiday vacation, i will start making a BIG bunch of new dungeons and will add these on a pool so you wont see the same dungeon 2 times on 1 gameplay. Also I'm aiming to having hundreds of these, different size and style also adding different new traps and such.

Also on january we are going to host a gamejam (48 hours) when we start making the expansion set which brings a new act and a LOT more content to the game. This will be streamed :)

13. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    #73 Nobunaga, Dec 21, 2013
    The problem with that is that at later levels there is so much going on, on the screen, you don't see the potion and it's more like a trap to be avoided than a possible bonus.
    It would be nice to select different masks for different save slots as well. Not a huge deal, and if it's too dificult to code in I wouldn't worry about it. If it isn't it'd be a nice touch.

14. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    How to activate statues?

15. Spinda

Spinda Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Will there be an option to resume your current run. Exiting/Closing the game sends me back to Wave 1

Also numbers for the skills. Like how much of a crit chance you get per skill point, what Meteor does exactly, etc.

16. dja1ien

dja1ien Active Member

Mar 10, 2013
    It doesn't seem like pouring points into the armor stat is doing anything; the damage reduction is still showing 0.25% even at 80 points... This is with the Viking, haven't tested the others.

17. Rendous

Rendous Active Member

Jun 21, 2013
    I recall being to activate a statue by flipping 4 switches that were scattered around the arena. Once activated I think I shot a statue and I got the achievement toast I believe. I don't know if it activated all statues or only the first one I hit and I don't know if the effect is arena wide or a smaller area. Hope that helps!

v/r

18. Panicci

Dec 29, 2012
    CEO of my own company
    Finland
    The armor works but it doesnt draw right, will fix this when i get back from my vacation.

19. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Game Impressions

So I finally decided to grab this and I'm ecstatic I did. I knew I would buy it, but with so many quality releases, and Heroes of Steel taking up a lot of my game time, it wasn't an instantaneous buy.

As someone else before me mentioned, Hero Siege is heavily influenced by Diablo. I too have put countless hours into Diablo and the similarities are unmissable. From the shrines to the rays of light from above, pentagrams and even the character layout when choosing your hero, all very Diablo. This makes me happy.

When people compare other games, describing the gameplay like Diablo, what they really mean is that it's a dungeon crawler or maybe just isometric view. Tons of generic dungeon crawlers exist on the App Store and many aren't worth a second look or play through. Hero Siege should be compared to Diablo unlike many before it and certainly deserves your time. It offers a ton of replay value and lots of loot to be had. The visuals are very pleasing and the blood spills plentiful. Even the crates spill healthy doses of blood.

With 3 initial characters available upon starting and 2 unlockable, this is a must have on anyones device whose interested in a true Diablo inspired experience. It sports it's own identity with obvious influences from Diablo while feeling much more like a loving nod than a wannabe clone. In my opinion it's easily worth your $3.

20. Panicci

Dec 29, 2012
    CEO of my own company
    Finland
    Wow im really happy to see such reviews! I'm stressed to death since the current patch in the AppStore is a bit buggy and has alot of stuff that crashes which i couldnt patch yet because of the review time apple has (When on android i can just patch the game and fixes will be on the store in a matter of hours). There is a really big fixpatch incoming after christmas and another in early january to add more content and fix lots of more stuff.

Me and my friend who make the game will be starting the development of the Expansion set in January, which will bring a new Act, new items and new classes into the game! I feel that the current content is a bit low and will eventually get boring, but we will be adding content on a regular basis to keep it interesting! So if you have any suggestions please point them out so we can really better your gameplay experience!

And again, thanks for this review man, it really warmed my heart!