Universal Hero Siege - (By Panic Art Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Bronxsta, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Is it iPad only? I got it for my android tablet. I was gonna buy it for my phone too but when I click the green box that says 2.99 it boots up the App Store but just shows a blan....

Load "*" ,8,1

Ready
    Run

....Woah, sorry about that my brain tweaked out there for a second. It shows a blank screen and I can't find the game on te App Store by searching or by company name. Any ideas????

2. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    It is Universal, but the app is currently pulled by the developer until the update (which has been submitted to Apple) is approved.

3. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    UUGGHH!! I'm totally stalking this thread

4. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Wow, Yoyo better be compensating you somehow. I know gml, so always wondered what it was like to deal with YoYo and how portable their gmStudio actually is.

5. spencerw45

spencerw45 New Member

Sep 26, 2013
  6. Panicci

Panicci Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2012
    CEO of my own company
    Finland
    Ok the game is live now, its a working patch and another one is coming to fix all the bugs you guys are going to experience... I fixed a whole bunch of stuff yesterday so 1.0.2 is pending approval now!

https://itunes.apple.com/fi/app/hero-siege/id760989481?mt=8

keep this thread alive and report anything you want here and i'll be reading it :). The game might not work that well on older devices such as iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S, its pretty heavy due to all the drawing and objects.

7. Fangbone

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Just downloaded and the first thing I noticed was that the control stick feels a little stiff. It reacts more like a control pad. Seems like movement would be more fluid if it reacted more like an analog stick. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

8. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Finally. Will be back with a review

9. Fangbone

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Played a little more with the Mage character and this is awesome

10. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

I would agree that the controls seem a little tight. Movement seems restricted, just a tad. Overall a solid game that has the capability to be awesome. Hope this gets adjusted in the future.

11. Panicci

Dec 29, 2012
    CEO of my own company
    Finland
    Could you describe a bit more how the controls could be improved? Because for me it feels very dynamic so its hard to see it from that angle, but not to misslead i want to improve them just let me know how ^^

12. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Any chance of a gameplay video? Are the levels more arena based or explorable?

13. ItouchBrett

Dec 28, 2008
    Ok, so I’m a big fan of dual stick shooters, I’m even a bigger fan of Diablo 2. Anyone that has played diablo 2 knows, this game draws serious inspiration from it, and this is not a bad thing in the least. You are given 3 heroes to choose from, a Marksman, a Pyromancer, and a Viking. You are being tasked with going through several acts to get thru the game. At the end of each wave there is a random boss fight, with random loot drops. At the end of each level you will be rewarded with a special item. The item you get at the end of each act is always different. I have been playing now for about 2 hours and I keep getting different relics. Randomly throughout the acts you will see “champion” monsters or special monsters. They are usually different colors and posses special abilities. (like when you hit one, maybe sparks fly out of the beast and you must avoid them) (just like diablo 2 fans will notice.

The gold is simply used for potions and temporarily boosting your stats. You have Damage, Swiftness (attack speed) damage reduction and health. The game does not ofcus on weapon drops, from what I tell you have the same weapon all game. Instead, the relics act as your random drops with special powers like stated before. You do have a skill tree and these skills are acquired during different stages of the game when you level. The replayability comes in when even when you think you are a beast you can die in one second if you get trapped by a special monster or a hazard gets you. (that’s right there are stage hazards that own you) when you die, you lose all your boosts, your relics but keep your level and your manually entered stat points but start over form act 1. Now, this allows you to grind and eventually beat the acts. There is Normal mode Nightmare and hell. (I told you HUGE inspiration from Diablo 2) When you complete an act, the sky even shine down light beams showing you beat it (just like when you cleanse the Den of Evil in the Act 1 of diablo)

Look the reason why I keep pointing all of this out is because, Well, I have spent over 1000 hours playing Diablo 2. I played it for years upon years. And I know everything about the game and there will NEVER be another Diablo 2. It stands out in my mind as one of the greatest Rogue, action, hack n slash beat em ups of all time. This game does a terrific job of making these references that take me back to it.

For the glitches and stuff like that, well, im finding a couple of things I want to point out to dev

-When playing Marksman, I leveled up the first skill (critical attack chance) and it doesn’t show any crit animation… When I use the Viking (same first skill) when I beat up monster it will clearly show CRITICAL and you will hear a huge crit sound along with a huge red slash showing you did extra damage, so you may want to test that out…

-When falling into the dungeon (which are also random) I had no way of getting out other then to reset the game, the random blocks that you are supposed to push don’t move.

-the controls feel ok, a little bit stiff, you may want to incorporate floating sticks or even a dpad. I also thing a 8 way direction shoot would be cool instead of your normal N E S and W

-also, when you try to level skills and stat point the game does NOT pause, you can still be attacked while you’re looking at your stats or skills, allowing you to be killed. I don’t know if this was intent to keep the crazy part up but again, something to look at,

All in all, I’m very happy with this game, with all the releases that came out this week, guess what? This is my favorite. Thank you dev for a great game and I appreciate all the references to one of my favorite games, of all time. Merry Christmas to this very talented Dev and his team JJ

14. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Hard to exactly explain, but it feels a little stiff, especially changing directions. It should feel fluid. It just seems movement maybe restricted, but it could be based off of not upgrading the character. Will play more to help assist the controls.

15. NIBUMZ

NIBUMZ New Member

Dec 20, 2013
    I also feel that the controls are a bit stiff like I am getting stuck on things that aren't there and changing directions is a pain at times sorta like it's not as responsive as it should be. I dunno I love this game though!

16. Panicci

Dec 29, 2012
    CEO of my own company
    Finland
    Thanks ALOT for this awesome reply man, i really appreciate your effort on writing this! I'm really glad you like the game even tho there are some stuff that are bugging you out!

But dont worry, i WILL put these on my tasklist and really improve the game on those areas as much as i possibly can! Thanks again! And feel free to give ideas and suggestions, i will always take these in consideration! :)

Alright I'll go over this with our programmer and we could prolly add atleast 360 direction movement or change it into a d-pad as an option from the settings, thanks!

17. Panicci

Dec 29, 2012
    CEO of my own company
    Finland
  18. ItouchBrett

Dec 28, 2008
    Panicci, no problem, I only write reviews here for indie devs that make something different like this. I can't stop playing. To support you further, I'm trying to purchase the IAP for x2 gold. Doesn't seem to work? Can you confirm this for me? Thanks for your efforts. I will be trolling this topic for more ideas and suggestions as the days go by.

19. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Thanks for the video links :) Bought it and played an hour or so on it so far, really liking it. I have no chance as the Viking, but the Mage and archer ones are great. I agree that the controls could definitely use some work, and especially with pausing the game while levelling up or visiting the shop! I find the press start to connect controller flashing on the bottom left quite annoying as well, but that's nothing major. I'm really enjoying it so far and looking forward to seeing what the other two characters are.

20. ItouchBrett

Dec 28, 2008
    #60 ItouchBrett, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    Also, how to activate statues....

And can anyone confirm if the marksman shots crit or not? I'm not seeing the same animation as the Viking.

Also to confirm. The marksman does not move the blocks to progress in the dungeon.... Shooting arrows doesn't work.... Only the Viking does... No point in playing the marksman unt it fixed.