Hero of Sparta: Price Drop ($0.99)!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by yourofl10, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    This game is fun, don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with sales. I just hate the fact that I paid full price yesterday, not knowing of a 5 dollar decrease today lmao. I feel really burned but at the same time this game is worth the 6 bucks... Just wished I only paid 1 ;)

I dunno what exactly is up with Gameloft, if anything, but Castle of Magic is the sh!t too.

2. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    I have been known to get some really nice games at sale for just $0.99 so enjoy the game. You will easily get $0.99 out of it. Makes me want to wait a while for Castle of Magic to drop in price. I think it is worth what it is priced at currently I just like getting deals.

3. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Doesn't apple have a return policy for apps now?

4. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Do they? Any information on this on hand? Cause I mean... it would be cool to kind of get re-imbursed for that just cause it was a day later... I mean if it was a week I wouldn't be so pissed off but it just really sucks THE NEXT DAY lmao

And Castle of Magic is easily worth the 5.99 it's priced at. Best platformer EASILY on the iDevices right now. I hope they have expansion packs via in-app transactions down the road. There is more than plenty of content already, but more would be even better.

5. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    99cents? wow, if you like God of War, you must get this one. first 2 chapters are kinda lame, but after that I've no regret to purchase it on full price. it always stay on the top 5 of my game list

6. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Yeah they're easily confused, though total opposites. Hero of Sparta is really nice simply in terms of graphics, sounds and control scheme, while the other is crap.
    No matter how bad the game is, it's totally worth $0.99 simply from the good graphics and content. Not many 3D adventure/actions games are $0.99 in the app store. It's one of those games that is fun if you don't play it a lot, maybe once every other day or something.

7. meder87

meder87 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Product Development Manager
    In the world of iOS
    Man I love gameloft. First Asphalt and Let's Golf, now Heroes of Spart! for $0.99! Just downloaded. At work now so i'll have to play later.

8. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    :)

Something awesome to wake up to, HoS for 99 cents! No hesitation on hitting the buy button for this one.

9. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    #69 AttackOfThePwned, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
    I don't see them giving you a credit for that. Think about it. You bought it at $5.99 and it drops to $0.99 the next day. Do you think they are going to credit every person that bought it on that day? How far back would it go? Do they credit people that bought it two days before it went on sale cause I bet those people are just as pissed. Have some sense about it, you just missed the sale and there is nothing you can do.

If I remember in the T&C for all 3.0 upgrades it still states ALL SALES ARE FINAL.

EDIT: BTW I paid $5.99 and feel the game is worth that price. Happy days for those that get to enjoy it for just $0.99.

10. frogtorch

frogtorch Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Yeah, right?
    Score!

11. meder87

meder87 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Product Development Manager
    In the world of iOS
    Yeah the price drop stuff works. If you know there's a game you want and you're willing to pay then you should be satisfied. Otherwise if you can live without the game then wait for a sale. I would have said wait to buy anything right now since 4th of July is next week in the United States. I assume there will be a bunch of sales.

12. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I completely understand that. And I am aware that I missed the sale, albeit for a f*cking day, I still missed it. And yeah, people that bought it 2 days ago are probably pissed... but imagine how you would feel if not even a full 24 hours passes by before a sale comes along for a game you just spent, a considerable chunk of change on. You'd want to at least try and get that back if you found out you MIGHT be able to, right? Thats where I am at right now. I purchased the game about 8 or so PM Arizona time. Someone just mentioned about apple crediting returns, so I thought I would at least ask about it. I don't expect them to refund me 5 bucks, but I can at least try right? No harm in that at all. I just didnt even know they had any kind of return policy so I wanted to at least see if anyone knew anything further on it, before I inevitably have to look it up.

13. #73 mrbass, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
    Easily worth a buck. It does get monotonous a tad but graphics are pretty nice and boss battles are fun. Makes you feel like your playing Elite Beat Agents without the beat at times. I don't think they have a price return policy guarantee. This isn't the Google Android phone store where every app has a 24 hour return policy for a full refund. Don't feel bad I bought NFSU for $10 and didn't get it for $7 it's current price.

14. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Let's Golf, Wild West Guns, Hero of Sparta, and Asphalt 4 for $4.00. This may be the best week of sales since the holidays and maybe evenbetter. Gameloft is officially the next Pangea (except Gameloft makes good games :p). Not to mention Peggle.

15. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    There is a misconception here. Any smart company would do well to drop the price of their products to gain visibility in the top 100 in context of a huge influx of new iphone users (granted many of the 3Gs customers are repeat buyers)...

16. MrXpressed

MrXpressed Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Associate Producer
    Wow!

I purchased this app back when it was first released at $9.99! Nonetheless, it really was worth it because it showcased the iPhone as being a legit gaming platform.

Now at $0.99 it's really a steal. You don't see Nintendo DS games selling at this price point ;-)

17. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Yeah we get that. Sorry but I'm so sick of people jumping into conversations and saying, "No! You're all wrong! This is how it is!" You are correct but there is no misconception here.

18. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Or both.

This after giving all that lip service of avoiding the "race to the bottom". :rolleyes:

Seriously, I can't understand, from a business standpoint, why they'd drop the price so drastically. Dropping price I understand. But why do it by ~40% the first time around (going from $9.99 to $5.99) and now by ~90% this time (from $5.99 to $0.99)?

Why not follow the Sega strategy of dropping in steps of 20% first time around then 25% the second time around. Super Monkey Ball, one of the more successful games in the store in terms of sales, followed this strategy, going from $9.99 down to $7.99 and then down to the current price of $5.99. Any guess where Sega will drop price to, if they do, after this? Probably by ~50% of the current $5.99 price down to $2.99. They've given themselves far more leeway and strategic room.

It's much better to drop price in small steps than drop price drastically. Quite a few of the folks that pick this game (Hero of Sparta) up now at $0.99 might have been among those who would have very well picked it up at $1.99 or even $2.99. Potential revenue missed out on again. The folks who will buy only at a buck they can get down the road. The key is to soak up as much of those willing to pay higher prices at those higher prices along the way. That's maximizing revenue potential. That's what Sega has done. EA, for the most part, has done just that as well. Gameloft looked like they would follow that very successful model, but instead they play right into the same fool's gold rush to which other developers play.

I really don't understand the publishers going that low in price that soon from a marketing and business standpoint.

As a gamer, however, I say this to my fellow gamers who haven't picked up the games yet:

Do it now. They're only a buck. Let Gameloft's apparently cocaine (cocaine is a helluva drug) fueled silliness be your ticket to good games at low prices. :D

19. Wow, Hero Of Sparta for $1. It's mine!

:p

20. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Perhaps a salient difference is that Sega and EA drop their game prices incrementally while they are still visible in the top 100. An small incremental drop once a game leaves the top 100 may or may not bring it back into the top 100 (where there is the compounded factors of visibility in the app store and price point that drive sales).