Universal Hero Emblems II by HeatPot Games (WIP)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ginokuo, Sep 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    #41 aconfusedkender, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Sadly not sure if it’ll even be this year but I will keep my fingers crossed like everyone else!!

I decided to DM them on FB and they messaged back saying unfortunately they will not be releasing anytime soon I’m assuming next year most likely?

Gambler likes this.
  2. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #42 Gambler, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Wonder what the hold up is, it’s quite a leap from a planned 2017 release to (probably, hopefully) sometimes in 2019, especially for a mobile game. The mobile gaming market definitely has become smaller in the meantime so hope that’s not part of the issue.

Either the game is becoming much bigger as they initially planned or they’ve stepped into a few more hurdles than they expected.

Can’t wait for this title and I’m sure it’ll be great. The first part will always be one of the best games I’ve ever played on mobile. Still a bit worried about the lack of progress/updates for part 2 lately, hope there’ll at least be some new game footage soon to calm my nerves :) I’d be devastated if this game would end up in development hell.

Son of Anarchy and stubbieoz like this.
  3. ginokuo

ginokuo Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

#43 ginokuo, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Hi all,

it seems that there has been no update for a long long time. o_O

Now here is a video to show up the latest progress. :cool:

The video includes 2 parts:

The first part is a BOSS battle. You may notice something new, such as the heroes can launch one more different skill besides the Skill & S-Skill (look at the cat mage), the hint icons of monster weakness, the new side-effect of the monster's attack to downgrade skill tiles to normal tiles, and so on.

The second part (starts at 1:21) is a cutscene-then-battle. Although the cutscene is in Traditional Chinese, but it might give you a hint that what will the HE2 world look like.

Music is also a key feature in HE2 development. HE2 music is produced by Shi Kuang Lee - a famous music composer in Taiwan. You can hear some new amazing BGM from the video.

So, When to release? Overall, we still need some more time to complete it.

Please stay tuned and thanks for your patience.:)

ramzarules, rezn, Gambler and 3 others like this.
  4. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #44 L.Lawliet, Feb 1, 2019
    Amazing! Thank you for the update. Any updates are always appreciated.

Please take your time. As long as you are sure to complete it (not canceling it), I can keep waiting. I would love a quality finished product rather than a poor rushed one. You definitely should not give a release date until you know for sure, as you don't want to constrain yourself into a time frame / rush development. Hopefully I'll be able to play it this year :D

This is definitely the mobile game I'm anticipating the most right now since I still think HE1 is the best match-three mobile game ever made. Keep up the great work! Quality premium games on the app store are very rare nowadays.

------------------------------------
    By the way did the artist change? The art seems to look different than the first HE1. To be honest I prefer the art from HE1 more. This art seems a little "goofy"? Or maybe looks less refined than HE1. I'm not sure how to best describe it. I think the individual portrait art (in battle) could use some refining. The art from HE1 was perfect! I wish the art was the same :( Also the music is incredible.

5. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Thanks for the update, even if it wasn’t a “released now” post. :p

I agree with L.Lawliet about the new graphics.
    I adored the original so I am probably biased but the new characters just look a bit washed out.
    But the gameplay looks a lot like HE1 so I’m happy. :)

6. NyxTowa

NyxTowa Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 13, 2018
    Female
    Norway
    Cheers for the update. So looking forward to this game

7. zeroex

zeroex Well-Known Member

May 20, 2014
    Shit, I waited half my life for Kingdom Hearts 3. I guess I can be a bit patient with this lol

8. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #48 Gambler, Feb 1, 2019
    The footage looks amazing. Glad there is progress, even if it takes quite longer than expected. Doesn‘t sound like 2019 will be in the cards though.

I agree that quality trumps a rushed release, hard to keep waiting after initial ETA 2017 though. Just looking so much forward to this title - Even after all this time HE1 is still my most favorite game in the App Store and the successor looks just as great.

9. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #49 Gambler, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Probably pointless to ask but maybe - 1/2 year after your last update and 2 1/2 years after planned release date - there are some good news after all?

Hoping and looking forward to the title for years - Any news? - Can at least the year be confirmed, 2020 possible or even probable?

stubbieoz and houseofg like this.
  10. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    did one of my most loved ios games do so poorly to not have a completed sequel?
    ...they should just go on twitch with some "gamer girl" with scant clothing to get some easy thousands... sadly only half sarcasm :/

stubbieoz likes this.
  11. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    I know, I know, why ask a question in here anyway and not holding my breath for a reply but in the event of if or when @ginokuo (hopefully) some day has an update for us again: Given the state of the mobile market and the decreased interest in premium gaming compared to, say, 2015 (when HE1 came out): Is there a chance for you guys to release Hero Emblems II on Apple Arcade?

From what I‘ve gathered Apple isn‘t too greedy to its Arcade devs and the service apparently takes a lot of risks away for premium game developers.

i adore AA and hope it‘s going to be a success. HE2 on there would definitely strengthen its catalogue quite a bit. Anyway, would be pretty cool if this would come to fruition.

As I said, not holding my breath for a reply. But should you read this post somewhere down the line, one would definitely be nice.

And apologies to anyone who subscribes to this thread and at first glance thought there’d be an update by the dev. Sorry, just me - probably futilely - asking a question ;)

12. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I personally would not want to have HE2 tied to a subscription program. I'd rather just pay for it upfront.

stubbieoz likes this.
  13. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Agreed! Hero Emblems is probably the best match 3 game on iOS. Or ever, across all platforms. It most certainly is for me anyway. I spent countless hours playing it. If there’s ever a sequel, I want to own it. Display it proudly in my game’s library. Don’t get me wrong. I have only praise for Apple Arcade, but there are titles I just need to own separately. For a peace of mind.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Whatever it takes to get it released. Not that I wouldn’t mind paying for it. But if a cash infusion from Apple make the game come out faster, I’ll take it as part of a subscription.

Gambler likes this.
  15. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @squarezero well of course. If it’s the only choice, I won’t mind. Anything’s better than nothing in this case.

16. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #56 Gambler, Oct 4, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Similar to my thinking. Of course I‘d prefer owning it as well and wouldn‘t mind a higher price (AA is crazily low priced anyway). For the extensive gameplay and endless hours of fun the first part gave me, I‘d also have payed 20 bucks for and I‘m sure part II would be similar in terms of quality and content.

But so much time has gone by since the initially intended release date and in-game footage is still sparse and far between. I‘m reasonably sure they are still working on it but if a cash infusion would help to finally get to the finish line I definitely wouldn‘t mind. Also, the market for premium games isn‘t what it used to be and AA would at least minimize the risk for Heat Pot. Plus, it would definitely increase the quality of AA‘s catalogue which I very much hope to be a success.

And @macplash & @L.Lawliet: Even buying and "owning" a standalone premium game doesn‘t mean to be able to play it forever in times of digital stores. As you guys as long time mobile gaming enthusiasts yourselves surely have experienced tons of times: Titles disappear from the App Store or get deleted if the dev/publisher goes under or the IP gets sold (Monkey Island remakes are a nice example, as are several Telltale titles and many more) or never receive an update after they got unplayable with newer iOS versions.

Plus, nobody knows so far what Apple‘s policy with AA will be. Maybe we’ll get an option to transfer games to our purchase library before they get deleted and who knows if Apple wants to remove many games from AA anyway down the line (The more quality games, the more compelling their catalogue) - Especially with (likely) high quality titles like HE2

17. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I now think of iOS as a platform for temporary games.
    We have seen it so many times where even a simple iOS update can totally break a game, and that game just is not financially feasible for a developer to fix.
    Also I have had some of my premium games removed for the AppStore with no announcement from a dev, and if I had them temporarily uninstalled for space at the time I simply have lost that game forever.

It is unlike console games or even pc games where at least Windows has a compatibility mode where old games might still work (or even emulators or fixes from the community).
    The only way to ensure a game will continue to work on iOS is to never update the version that works. In all reality we all know that is not an option.
    At least Apple has said that games that are available in the Arcade will work with the current iOS.
    My personal preference has always been to “own” premium games but iOS just doesn’t make that option feasible.

With all that being said I fear that Hero Emblems II has had such a long wall of silence that sadly it just is not happening in any form.

Gambler likes this.
  18. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    There were about 14 months between the first and second update here (Sep. 2016 - Nov 2017) and 11 months before the last one (Feb 2018 - Jan 2019). If this pace continues we‘ll probably get some new gameplay footage around new year/first months of 2020. Hopefully including an estimated release date as well - Otherwise your assessment will seem more and more likely.

Still have hope though cause they‘ve always been this silent between updates but my optimism fades a little every day. The initially planned release date is quite overdue and who knows if the income from HE1 (released in 2015) or funding from elsewhere is still enough for both of them to be able to keep working on HE2 full time. Perhaps that could be part of the explanation why progress is so slow.

Maybe I‘m too hopeful but I still think the game will be released one of these days. Certainly doesn‘t look like that‘ll happen in 2019 though.

stubbieoz likes this.
  19. ginokuo

ginokuo Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Hi all,

I am sorry that no update for a long time.

Here is the new video :

It shows new stages, new monsters, new skills. In addition, 2 new features showing in the video:
    Passive Ability of heroes and the Avoiding Debuffs ability by accessories.

It is still not ready to release.
    Thanks for your patience. Please stay tuned!

20. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    :(:mad:

Gambler likes this.