Universal Hero Emblems II (by HeatPot Games Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jun 22, 2022.

1. davagorn

davagorn Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    The "cards" are not one-time. They represent the extra powers you get from matching 4 or 5 (not in a row) symbols. This makes symbols a new color, and if you match them, you get the card's power.

Weapons/armor can be equipped (usually) to multiple characters, but not every character. Magic users wear robes, not armor, etc. But you can definitely equip certain things on multiple types of characters.

When buying a weapon, it gives you the option to equip it directly to that character (or multiple characters). This lets you see the exact upgrade you're getting. Alternatively, you can buy something and put it in your inventory.

Hope you're still having fun! It's a big game with a lot of elements, but the more you play, the more familiar everything will get.

2. davagorn

Feb 20, 2009
    My favorite "normal" setup (i.e., no Boss I already know about and need to beat a specific way) is to put my lowest level characters in the main party.

3. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Question: So I had iCloud sync on while playing. I deleted the game then reinstalled. Now the can’t seem to restore my save game files from iCloud. Is there a specific way to do this? I do see some game-related files in my iCloud back-up. But I guess the game is not recognising it.

4. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    With my game time so far with it I found that more often now I am trying to read the board to get 4 and 5 lineups happen by thinking ahead. Just like the first It gives me enough challenge than I normally don’t find in a typical match three game.
    Plus the small added choices such as skill cards and mid battle replacement of characters gives it enough depth to keep my interest.

Sorry to hear it’s not your cuppa tea but everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect yours.

sakara214ever likes this.
  5. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    That is the only reason i am sceptical about buying it. Probably i will buy just to support the devs for their effort but will never play it. Loved the first one but that was 6 years ago. Different time different games at the store. Plus reading some comments in here that it takes one and a half hour just to (IF you) defeat a boss is another big negative for my taste. Again these devs deserve a big support i believe. With that in mind i am happy other people are enjoying it.

6. Gus_SWE

Gus_SWE Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2022
    Male
    I do certenly not. I’m sorry if that how my post came a cross to you. I’m not a native english speaker, so that maybe have something to do with it. :)

All I’m trying to say is that often it’s better to have a little more analytic and sceptical attitude towards new things, then to just dive right in with the masses. In my experience, those descissions tend to lead to dissapointment further down the road.

But I get the point, opinions others then yours regarding this game is not welcome? I like to have open friendly discussions where it is high to the ceiling and all voices is allowed to be heard. :)

7. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    How do you swap in heroes?
    I now have my 5th hero, but when someone in combat dies the new hero does not step in.

8. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

There’s a cooldown counter at the beginning of battles so you have to wait until the number counts down and goes away. Then, just touch the character picture you want to swap out (right above the puzzle grid) and swipe up. It’ll show you the available characters to choose from. Then, just tap the one you want to sub in and you should be good to go. There’s also a countdown after a member has taken critical damage (no health left) and is swapped out. You have to manually remove defeated party members. Defeated characters take some time to heal but you’ll know they’re ready to return when there are no numbers above their head.

Hope that make sense and is completely accurate.

dukat111 likes this.
  9. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #149 L.Lawliet, Jun 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    Uhhh... I'm not sure how you got 10 hours of playtime and assumed the player doesn't have much influence / choices are not meaningful / clicker auto game. It's the exact opposite of that. You even said it requires very little thought. I don't even see how you came to that conclusion. This game is fairly hard. You can't win by randomly matching whatever you see. You have to heal when needed, you have to get rid of status effects, use defense, swap dead members, use ults, select the special abilities to equip, buy equipment, etc. Especially the bosses are not pushovers. I'm not sure how that = dirty game that requires little thought. It requires a lot of engagement as you can't just match mindlessly. You must be a genius or incredibly lucky if you beat every thing the game threw at you by mindlessly matching whatever was on the screen and winning.

I respect your opinion and it sounds like the game isn't for you so that's fine.

Why would you assume you won't like it without playing it? Why would you say you'd never play it without trying the game at all? You liked the first one and you're skeptical of the 2nd one even though most people like it? I'm genuinely confused. Hero Emblems imo has aged very well and is still the best match-3 game I've ever played. But I'm not sure what games you are into now but maybe your taste has changed like you said. If you're looking for Genshin Impact, you're not going to find it in Hero Emblems.

stubbieoz, Pagan Fox and aussiepaul like this.
  10. davagorn

Feb 20, 2009
    Getting annihilated in Boraz Oasis...probably need to come back later.

11. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Yeah i mean i will probably buy it to support the devs. Since it will sit on my phone i may give it a go. Thanks for your analysis on the game.:)

12. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    #152 Quoad, Jun 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    “Oh no I need to match green.” “Oh no I need to match red.” (Not that a need to actually choose is very common in most battles). “Oh look a forced choice with a dead character, I need to swipe up on them then swipe up on one of the not-dead ones.”

Equipment upgrades are hardly about choice, “here’s the selection of one item new best item per character in attack and defence that you can buy as soon as you’ve ground the cash.”

Given you asked, yes, I found these tasks repetitive, and requiring little to no thought. There were no battles - bosses included - where I ended up thinking “oh my goodness, what a devastating challenge of skill that was, I feel really fantastic about how I handled that.” For me, it was what I’d call dirty and compulsive endorphin hits - get the flashy lights for pushing the necessary buttons, and move on (assuming you’ve ground enough; if not, grind without thought until this is the case). That is in stark contrast to eg dysmantle, the first game I’ve sunk north of fifty hours into for years (I’m sure!) which had constantly evolving gameplay and challenges. Ten hours into this, I was still doing basically the same thing to basically the same grid, only with a few new pictures.

That clearly isn’t everyone’s experience, and new premium games that bring joy are clearly amazeballs. I don’t think that means dissenting views aren’t valid (or are “wrong”), and even the best games aren’t for everyone. I remain at a loss as to why Dysmantle’s thread only hit three pages, for ex!

Edit: when I found myself repeatedly battling a jewel-carrying bat, I searched this thread for “element.” Two results across 7(?) pages, comprising an initial inquiry about that bat, and the reply to that inquiry. That doesn’t suggest to me that the specifics of cards being carried are hugely important tbf. (And nor does my experience of gameplay, in which I mostly assumed that newer ones were better but can’t say I gave it any thought at any point - as my earlier post indicated, I didn’t even understand them for the first five hours or so (not helped by the lack of any explanation), and nor did I need to).

13. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    I also dislike HE2 after playing for more than 10 hours. But only partly for the reasons Quoad mentioned.

IMHO
    For me it‘s a casual game made complicated and hard just to stretch the game length. Most fights take a bit too much time and the final bosses are just a waiting game.

And after 10 hours I‘m sure to say the gameloop gets really boring. Cause the gamemechanic „new is allways better“ is just tedious. In every new city you just need to buy the best weapons, armor and cards. And you will win most fights and quests in this area. Rings can be mixed up a little bit for buffs depending on what you fight, but mostly the new cards are just so much better, you wont mix them up a lot. And the fighting depends so much on Weapon-Power, Armor-value and Cards so that you will never win a fight with low Tier stuff against better enemies. And that is where i feel the game really lacks. Its in the end very linear with the equipment and cards you need to always improve.

And the fighting itself as a match-3 mechanic pretends to give you many options but leaves you most times with just one really good move. Of course you need to heal, buff yourself and attack in the right moment but for me it’s just not enough gameplay to invest so much time.

In the end I got the feeling this game has no respect for the gamers time. And the unskipable cutscenes are only the cherry on top.

Please don‘t get me wrong. I love hard games a lot. Thats why my most played Genre is Rogue-likes. I fully finished FTL about 10 times now in all difficulties. And losing a game just gives me ambitions to become better in the next run. But in HE2 i never had this feeling. Losing a fight means you have not the best equipment or Cards. Thats all you need to change. No adjustment to any other strategies needed. That‘s why i dislike HE2

Hulkino and Rocksaint like this.
  14. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    “Does not respect the gamer’s time.” Hit the nail on the head right there.

There are enough no. of times when the game never warns you, only to take a path where you suddenly wipe because of overpowered enemies and have to start the area again. (Hopefully having another path to take)

A game can be really well made. Have a lot of great aspects, but if the design is lacking, it runs out of steam eventually. Only the mileage varies.

Simple concept, as you play and progress, you are supposed to feel a sense of growth, progress, in gaming terms - getting stronger. In this game, you are barely surviving. Levelling up doesn’t have any feeling of growth. Buying stronger gear and facing enemies, doesn’t make you feel stronger, it basically makes you feel that you can barely stand against the enemies in the said area. That kind of design goes completely against to what the genre “RPG” stands for.

Yes, it’s a very well made game. Yes, the graphics, animations and audio is nice. Yes, the story and characters are very interesting. There’s no doubt a lot of hard work has gone into them. But sadly, at least for me, the design choices made do not work for me.

Games are supposed to be fun. Entertainment. Not feel like heavy-duty work where you are just scraping by.

15. Gus_SWE

Gus_SWE Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2022
    Male
    That sound exactly like the first game to me. I got the same feeling of absolute repetivness after that. The first 5h was great tho.

But if we try beeing a little positive, one could argue that those 5h worth of play time in the beginning was worth the few measly bucks the game cost anyway.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Funny — this is the way I felt about games like Elden Rings and (to some extent, Breath of the Wild). I get that they’re well made and beloved by many, but they simple were no fun to play for me. It’s a legitimate and important perspective. Obviously, it won’t convince anyone who enjoys the basic mechanics :).

17. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    Well…contrary to the popular opinion, I didn’t really enjoy Elden Ring beyond the initial zone - Limgrave. I felt lost, frustrated and unrewarded, especially as a str/dex built character. And I’m someone who finished and loved Bloodborne.

Anyway, that’s a whole another discussion. As far as HE2 is concerned, I did enjoy the game initially, I was willing to slug it out in the middle, but eventually it just stopped being, to simply put, fun.

squarezero likes this.
  18. ImLegend

ImLegend Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Anyone know how-to bypass the fire in IFFYTOS CAVERN that blocking the path? my progress is in King Samuel kingdom, this is only thing left to do before I moving forward.
    Thanks

19. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    there is a path in the forest south of town that will take you to some extra bosses…an ogre, a skeleton, and …a ferret wizard? One of them will have some special boots for you…I just got the key for the pyramid so i am behind you but pretty sure that’s what you want.

by the by, if you have exposed a weakness to an enemy it will show up by their turn count…i had taken off the find weakness card because I thought it wasn’t working, and then noticed this a while later. It might be that you can unlock that just by lucking out with the right attack….anyway, nice you don’t have to remember each enemies weakness.

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  20. nupraptor

nupraptor Member

Nov 6, 2010
    You mean Peltos Forest/Ornett Forests?