Hero Academy Tournament: Round 1 Groups and Results Thread

Discussion in 'MMO Codes and 'Add Me' Requests' started by ArtNJ, Jan 18, 2012.

1. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #101 ArtNJ, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
    I just updated it to current 10 minutes ago. 9 of the 16 advancement slots secured!

Please let me know if anyone thinks I have erred in determining advancement. Thanks!

2. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Probably he just doesn't notice your messages. It's easy to ignore the whole chat thing.

I think that's preferable, myself. The other alternative would be to give the people who played the defaulter a full point. I think a half point is not enough. In bridge tournaments, you get something in between a half point and a full point if you don't get to play through no fault of your own. You could make it 0.75 points. But I'm not sure if that would ever affect the results, given the current system.

3. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Fortunately, its not going to matter in Group A unless I count the victories agaisnt the defaulter, but dont give the person that didnt get to play him *any* compensatory points (i.e. not even a 1/2 a point). That is the one solution that doesnt seem fair to me.

I do have a PM out to the individual in Group A, as well as to various other individuals. I agree with you that you cant rely on chat.

4. nonexist

nonexist Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Male
    USA
    Update Group E:

1. Dalbertson - Win
    2. Narziss - loss
    3. Malphes - Win
    5. Delkur - Win

5. FlyBoyZombi

FlyBoyZombi Active Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Cook
    Canada
    1.Vs Voodoo loose
    2.Vs Drakkwr- Now Playing
    3.Vs Siniom- Now Playing
    4.Awaiting chalange

6. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Congrats on securing slot 10 of 16.

7. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    I'm really liking how quickly this is going. You're doing a great job Art.

8. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #108 ArtNJ, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
    Thank you. Pretty painless so far; H_ngm_n's chart is a big help.

Speaking of the rate of progress, would folks in Round 2 like to start a few of the subgroups early? Assume we will be able to start 3 of the 4 Round 2 subgroups tomorrow or Wednesday.

The only downside I can see is that I have reserved the right to advance an extra person or two in the event of three way ties, so we could theoretically have 17 or 18 Round 2 contestants, instead of 16. This may or may not cause me to alter my plan for Round 2. However, even if we proceed with 4 person subgroups, I can deal with a few extras fairly easily. I'll just advance two to round 3 from the slightly larger fourth Round 2 group, and we'll have 5 Round 3 contestants instead of the 4 I was envisioning.

So if folks want to start, I'm fine with it.

9. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    You may get more than 16, if three people in a group get the same points, I think? Which is what I was wondering about with our group. I guess it's not worth worrying about until it happens though!

I agree - I think you need to discount all games involving someone who defaults. You can't have some people gaining 1 point a defaulter and some one else being denied the chance to gain a point.

I'd second that!

10. H_ngm_n

H_ngm_n New Member

Dec 7, 2010
    For what it's worth, I'm fine with waiting to figure out the full roster of round 2 players before starting the round, if only because this doesn't repeat the long wait after the early round 2 players are finished and waiting for the late round 2 groups to mop up so that round 3 can begin.

A little waiting now probably means less waiting later (I realize that I may not need to worry about waiting after round 2, since this round should drive the compete level up another notch, looking forward to the challenge, though)

It's occurs to me now that the later rounds could potentially see the arrival of the new dwarf team, which could throw an interesting twist into things. Anyone hear mention of an ETA for that new team?

11. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    If that team is thrown into the mix, I think we should wait until the next tournament (if there is one) before we use the dwarves, for sake of keeping it the same.

12. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I'm strongly against starting round 2 early (even though it would probably help me), the people who finish early aren't a random sample from all of the qualifiers. And it doesn't speed up the tournament anyway, because the games that start last are going to be the bottleneck.

Are the servers down now? I can't connect, I was trying to catch up on my game that's the least advanced (mostly my fault).

Including the dwarves might be a bad idea even if they are out, just because people might want to play slower to get some test games in with them to see how to use them.

13. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I agree on the Dwarves, and am not pushing to start early, was just seeing whether people wanted it. That said, I dont think it would skew the randomness at all, as many strong players will finish late because they are playing a slow mover. I know of at least one very strong player who is currently 2-0, for example.

14. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    FYI, Snooper has apologized and forfeited all games. He is just unexpectedly too busy.

15. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    It might group the slower players together, which would make the tournament take even longer.

If you did want to start early, a fair way to do it is to assign the sixteen slots based on a seeding pattern (e.g., Group I might be the first place player from
    Groups 1 and 5, and second place player from Groups 2 and 6; Group II could be first place from Groups 2 and 6, and second place from Groups 3 and 7, and so on). Then if some of the places are determined, they can start.

If you end up with 17 players, everything changes around, though. If there's one group of 5 with only 2 advancing, then it should be random who's in that group (or maybe it should be only second-place finishers from the first round).

Note it should always be possible to uniquely determine a first-place and second-place in each first round group, because the head-to-head result breaks ties.

16. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    I don't think round two should be started early.
    Mainly because I don't want people to get mad at me, because I only play 2 or 3 turns a day some days!
    And dwarves should wait, maybe we could have a dwarf-only tournament separate to this one.

Servers are currently up for me, but it says servers will be down for up to two hours from 6am EST on the 24th, I've no idea (and can't be bothered to Google) what EST is in relation to GMT though.

17. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    There is definitely a bug with debuffs and Ninja teleport. If your Ninja is debuffed and you teleport, the Ninja still shows the black cloud around it, but the information display shows it at full power, not half power, and when you actually attack it is at full power, not half power. I don't really want to deal with another set of forums, but could someone report this on the developer forums? There may also be a problem if you are powered up with a scroll when you teleport, I haven't checked that one yet.

Anyway I just want to report it so everyone in the tournament knows, I feel guilty "taking advantage" of the bug but there's not really any way to avoid it.

18. Narziss

Narziss Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    I rather wait to start round 2.

19. eddard13

eddard13 Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Group B update:

1. HLW10 = Krypton won
    2. Kogepan (he did not send me an invitation to start game)
    3. MLKeener = Krypton won
    4. Krypton = me
    5. Trev1 = Krypton won

Thanks!

20. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    You were actually already guaranteed advancement to Round 2, but its nice to go in unbeaten.