Hero Academy Round 2 Pairings

Discussion in 'MMO Codes and 'Add Me' Requests' started by ArtNJ, Jan 26, 2012.

1. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    It seems fair to me. If Brimah had lost to HLW10, and HLW10 subsequently withdrew from the tournament and forfeited all of her outstanding games, then I'd say the same thing---ignore those results. There's just no way to compare a win against a withdrawing opponent with a result not achieved because the opponent didn't finish the game, so in my opinion it's most fair to exclude all such results.

Adjudication would be only my second choice, because it's more subjective.

2. Brimah

Brimah Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The situation is indeed complex, but if it had been Siniom that withdrew, I would be 3-1, so does that mean because the wrong person is withdrawing that I don't advance? Just a point, but to make it easy on artnj, I will just withdraw. Naz did very well in his matches and was undefeated in round 1.

3. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Current status -
    vs Brimah - Brimah wins x2
    vs Siniom - HLW10 wins x1, other game round 33
    vs Narziss - both games in progress, waiting for Narziss. One game at round 20, last move over a day ago, other game round 21, last move 6 hours ago.

4. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    #144 DaviddesJ, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
    You could still tie for leading the group. I would think it's clearly best if we can finish all the games. So what if it takes another week? People have different amounts of time available.

By the way, I'm on round 43 in my last game with Krypton. I'm down to 2 units on the map, and 3 reinforcements, while he has 3 units on the map, and 2 reinforcements.

5. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hold off. Wait for Naz to weigh in.

6. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #146 ArtNJ, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
    Yes, I know Narziss got very busy also. This is another reason why I dont want anyone to forfeit without hearing from him. Thank you again for keeping us informed, I appreciate it.

7. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Group B is finished, Krypton resigned our last game on round 47. My final results:

Juuicetin (council) vs DaviddesJ (council): I won (round 31)
    DaviddesJ (council) vs Juuicetin (dark elves): I won (round 36)
    Lelezi (dark elves) vs DaviddesJ (council): Lelezi resigned (round 43)
    DaviddesJ (council) vs Lelezi (dark elves): I won (round 36)
    Krypton (council) vs DaviddesJ (council): Krypton resigned (round 47)
    DaviddesJ (council) vs Krypton (council): Krypton resigned (round 42)

In the last game, Krypton and I were down to 3 units each, but one of mine was a fully upgraded ninja....

8. Narziss

Narziss Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Alright, so I think that the top four is going to be pretty epic, and thus the anticipation isn't all that bad. Could HLW and I just have a few more days because I think it is too early to adjudicate either of our games?

9. knucklescb

knucklescb New Member

Jan 18, 2012
    I don't have any problem at all. As for what system is better, I don't know... If you guys think this system is working right I cannot find a reason to change it. Playing another 6 games is not a problem for me now that I finished my exams :)

10. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Ok, sounds like there is a consensus! We wait until the games are over or Narziss choses to submit for ajudication.

11. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    I have a lot of free time the next 2 days so hopefully will be able to get quite a few turns done.

12. Narziss

Nov 28, 2009
    #152 Narziss, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
    Update:

I am using Dark Elves.

Group A
    1. Narziss*
    2. Brimah
    3. HLW10
    4. Siniom

Format:
    "home" vs "away" > "status"

Narziss vs Brimah > Narziss
    Brimah vs Narziss > Brimah

Narziss vs HLW10 > (in progress: Round 38)
    HLW10 vs Narziss > (in progress: Round 37)

Narziss vs Siniom > Narziss
    Siniom vs Narziss > Narziss

Good progress over the past few days considering we were on round 20 on Feb 10th and now we are nearly on round 40 and it is the 14th. Has been 17 hours since last move in both games. Things are shaping up nevertheless, and the games are really unfolding (though the result is indefinite and things should be clearer in a day or two).

13. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the update! We have agreed not to pressure you two, but do submit the games for ajudication when you think they are ready. Remember, you only need 1 win to advance.

14. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    How do you figure that? If Narziss wins one and loses one, he is tied with Brimah, I think they need some sort of playoff.

15. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    For some reason I thought Nariziss was 2-0 in the head to head -- I see he now he wasnt.

16. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    It's sort of an awkward compromise, but I thought of the following alternative: if Narziss and Brimah end up tied in their group, then rather than have a playoff, we advance both of them to the next round, but they lose the tiebreak if they end up tied in the next round with one of the players who won outright in this round. It's a hack, but it feels kind of fair, and would let us move on.

17. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Finished -
    vs Brimah - Brimah wins x2
    vs Siniom - HLW10 wins x2
    vs Narziss - Narziss wins x2

18. Narziss

Nov 28, 2009
    #158 Narziss, Feb 15, 2012
    Regarding the head-to-head with Brimah, what I had mentioned in the result commentary was that I had a clear victory in my home game but only barely lost in my away game (which was on the dreaded one-crystal map, which is the bane of by match-ups, especially when Council is going first), but the outcome would've been the reverse had my crystal only 1 more health. He had used his last unit to destroy my crystal, and 1 more health would've kept my crystal alive in order for me to destroy his last unit because I had outright board control. However, we went 1-1. But I wasn't mentioning that in order to receive preference over a tie (had there been a tie in points, I would've wanted to do a final tie-breaker game), but rather, only because Brimah had been interested in forfeiting, and if his forfeit was accepted, I didn't want it to look like I advanced because of a mere forfeit.

Anyway, this doesn't matter now and is only for clarification because the results are in: HLW10 and I managed to play several turns this morning to the conclusion of the games in my favor.

19. Narziss

Nov 28, 2009
    #159 Narziss, Feb 15, 2012
    Complete:

I used Dark Elves in every game.

Format:
    "home" vs "away" > "status"

Narziss vs Brimah > Narziss
    Brimah vs Narziss > Brimah

Narziss vs HLW10 > Narziss
    HLW10 vs Narziss > Narziss

Narziss vs Siniom > Narziss
    Siniom vs Narziss > Narziss

Oh, man, I can't believe now it's on to round 3. I can't wait for the difficulty of the challenges! although I don't think my chances will be very good pitting my DE against the best Council players. Then again, I didn't need the upcoming patch that nerfs CL a bit and buffs DE a bit to make it to round 3, so making it this far already feels like an accomplishment in itself. Hopefully I can at least give the CL players in round 3 some difficulty in getting their wins.

Thanks for the challenges brought on by everyone in my round 2 group. They were excellent games. And thanks ArtNJ for organizing this tournament.

20. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Well if the screen looks the same for several rounds over several days.. Of course sour grapes :) lol...

I can post a screenshot and claim everything.. Would really love to have a replay function this would open so many eyes..but if someone wins against a few weaker player he apparently gets put on a pedestal.. and judging from the round 3 thread it looks like you even alienate "important" players due to the same thing.. This tourney went very well.. I'm amazed..

Good luck to the rest.. of the best? Have at least fun, the reson to play :) cheers guys.