Hero Academy Round 2 Pairings

Discussion in 'MMO Codes and 'Add Me' Requests' started by ArtNJ, Jan 26, 2012.

1. H_ngm_n

H_ngm_n New Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Yeah, I'm not sure what the complaints are about, looking at those screenshots. If a player wants to get aggressive, there's an open crystal at the top that could be played with to open things up.

Though two fully armoured knights is quite a pain to deal with :) Good luck with the rest of the tourney!

2. Juuicetin

Juuicetin Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Yeah, don't change your play style because someone is annoyed. I think everyone should be allowed to make the best move they see possible and if it becomes a draw, then that's perfectly fine too.

Good luck with the tournament everybody. And yeah, that t-shirt would have been a nice prize.

3. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Maybe there should be some tournament rule, like, if you reach round 100 then either player can choose to declare a draw. I expect that as people get better at the game, drawn/stalemated positions might become more common. But since it hasn't happened even once yet (that one side wants to declare a draw and the other side thinks it can win) it seems premature to worry about it.

4. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    We just did our first expansion of the Hero Academy League, and are up to 80 members. Nearly 40 games have already been played, and TA's Juuicetin leads the rating list, he is 8-0 so far! I'm sure he is itching for a rematch David (hint, join).

If you requested an invite on robotentertainmentfans.com you should already be in. If not, go to that website, click Hero Academy on the left, click League, and you will either be let in or added to our wait list.

5. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Well, I want to finish my tournament games first. I am pretty confident of advancing---I am way ahead in one game against Krypton---but the other is not going so well, I would like to win it if I can.

6. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    P.S. I did try to join once before---even if I may not play any games right away---but it didn't seem to "take". The REF website seems sufficiently cumbersome that it's not really an inducement to participate.

7. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    The forum is ugly and a little cumbersome, but everything works just fine, we are up to 91 members and 80 or so games completed, ratings adjusted.

8. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Krypton resigned in our first game, so I'm 5-0 with one game to play. Unclear how that one will come out, but it won't affect who advances. How is Group A doing?

9. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Just sent PMs to Group A asking for status. Hope to move to Round 3 soon. Qualifiers, please see my discussion with Drv above and post what format you would like to see for Round 3.

10. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Six game round robin (two against each of the three other players). Top two advance into final, which is something like 4 games, then if still tied play 2 more, and so on, until someone wins. Coin flip to go first is too swingy, in my view. The win-by-2 format could turn into a Karpov-Korchnoi style marathon, but I'd still give it a try.

11. DrvUMad

DrvUMad New Member

Jan 17, 2012
    IT
    Seattle, WA
    I like that idea David, if we ever get that far!

12. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I would also be interested in requiring each player to play half of their games with Council and half with Dark Elves....

13. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    That one I would veto unless all agree.

14. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    HLW is just moving too slowly, he is only in the early 20s in several of his games. Brimah beat him once, and if he does so again (their game is in the 50s) HLW will be theoretically eliminated, and I'll forfeit his remaining games at that point.

However, Narziss and Siniom have not responded to my status inquiry. I'll give them a couple of days. Since Brimah split with them, either of them could theoretically end up 5-1, which would trump Brimah's 4-2 (if he beats HLW in the advanced game). If they have already split the games, then unfortunately we would have a 3 way tie.

We will have to wait and see where they are at, although I will forfeit them if they go a full week without checking in here. One way or another, this will move along.

15. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    She, not he, and I have already offered to forfeit all games. I have multiple other things going on that are rather more important than this atm.
    2 nil to Brimah.
    Let me know when all the other games in group A are complete, and I will forfeit all my remaining games.

16. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #136 ArtNJ, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
    I understand, real life > game. Keep playing at your own pace, and once we hear from the other two we'll see where we are at. I may indeed forfeit the games, but only because it isnt worth a long additional delay in the final 4 given that you cannot advance. Thanks for playing, and I'm sorry for stereotyping your gender! (I'm old enough that the gaming/gender steroetypes were pretty much 100% spot on when I started)

17. Narziss

Narziss Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    #137 Narziss, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
    I am using Dark Elves.

Group A
    1. Narziss*
    2. Brimah
    3. HLW10
    4. Siniom

Format:
    "home" vs "away" > "status"

Narziss vs Brimah > Narziss (finished 6 days ago)
    Brimah vs Narziss > Brimah (finished 9 days ago; I had huge board presence and his inventory was entirely depleted by the end, but I couldn't halt the crystal rush. Just 50 more health to my crystal would have been enough for me to win this game.)

Narziss vs HLW10 > (in progress: Round 20)
    HLW10 vs Narziss > (in progress: Round 20)

Narziss vs Siniom > Narziss (finished 9 days ago, which I had posted a while ago)
    Siniom vs Narziss > Narziss (finished 9 days ago, which I had posted a while ago)

18. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #138 ArtNJ, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
    @Narziss, ok, ok, we missed that update. So your 3-1, with a shot at 5-1 if the games with HLW are finished or forfeited. Brimah is 4-2, done. I am super uncomfortable deciding advancement by forfeit in this manner, given that HLW *is* still playing. If this is inconsistent with what I said earlier, I apologize, but seeing how this works out it makes me very uncomfortable. And yet we cannot pressure HLW who is being a terrific sport as it is, willing to finish despite being out of contention, and despite real life pressures.

Narziss, unless you think the games with HLW are ready to be adjudicated or likely to be done relatively soon my preference would be that you and Brimah play a one game playoff asap. If you do think your tangibly ahead in both, lets go the adjudication route. Given that the rules do talk about a forfeit if a player is playing significantly slower than others, I think you would go first in such a playoff game.

What do you think? Just trying to be fair. If your ahead, I say adjudicate them as wins. If you cant say that, the playoff seems the most fair.

19. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I don't really see the logic here. Either we should wait for HLW10 to finish all of her games (which is fine with me), or we should eliminate HLW entirely, in which case we have Narziss at 3-1, Brimah at 2-2, and Siniom at 1-3, so Narziss clearly advances and no playoff is necessary.

It doesn't make sense, in my opinion, to count some of HLW10's games but not all of them. Because people who lose their early games are more likely to lose interest later, if the players who finish first get credit for wins against the withdrawing player, then the players who don't get to finish should get the same credit.

20. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well, Brimah won 2 games when there was a possibility for HLW to advance and got presumably hard fought wins, so how is it fair to discount them or equate that with forfeits? I think the best bet is to try and ajudicate them and see if I can discern an edge. That strikes me as the fairest solution. I agree that if they cannot be ajudicated, the fairest solution is open to debate.