iPad Here's Something Intresring Stich'em Words

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by schooze, Jan 18, 2009.

?

Are you going to buy Stitch'em Words?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    48.1%
  3. I found the reviews stupid.

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. schooze

schooze Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Hi Guys,
    A new game came out called stich'em words it is $0.99 here is the link: http://toucharcade.com/link/http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=302339778&mt=8 well some of you may know that it looks like the pc/mac game Pictowords: http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/3574/pictowords-game/index.html
    Now that isn't the problem here plenty of games in the app store are rip offs of other games rescue angels for example. The issue here is if you look at the app description it quotes three "reviews" the game has apparently received, the only problem is i dare you to find those reviews. When you google iphoneAppsGuru you get a few different iphone but no iphoneappsguru and no review, furthermore go on ign.com and there is no review, on gamezebo all you can find is a review for the original game pictowords: http://www.gamezebo.com/games/pictowords/review

Obviously the developer is trying to fool people into thinking that this game was voted best word game and was favorably reviewed by ign, its a shame I would have loved to have bought this game. Would you support a developer who does these shady practices? I already feel bad enough for getting rescue angels. What do you guys think?

2. Well if you couldn't find the reviews then that is indeed shady practice. Trouble is, some people will believe those as there are plenty of devs who do actually quote real reviews as apposed to made up ones. Shame.
    Welcome to the forums.

3. Fazzy

Fazzy Well-Known Member

I don't find this very interesting.

4. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Both the website and the support site link to the same place also, with just a picture of the game and no way to contact the developer.

Even the source code of the website is misleading, using terms such as top ten iPhone apps and top ten iPhone games.

5. Then why post anything? I don't post on every thread I am not interested it just to tell people.

6. Ahiru

Ahiru Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    public servant
    nowhere near you!
    well the topic title is a bit misleading (think that guy felt the same way i did...)

7. schooze

schooze Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2008
    I didn't say it was interesting I said "intresring" anyway you think apple should allow developers to quote fake reviews so that people will buy their app if they really think their app is that good they should let it speak for itself.

8. Ahiru

Ahiru Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    public servant
    nowhere near you!
    #8 Ahiru, Jan 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
    and what does "intresring" stand for? thought you meant "interesting" as well

9. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Well maybe you should...I agree though, that is considered spamming as far as I'm concerned.

Dude, read the rules: no correcting people's English. BTW, did you ever buy SuperHorsey? LOL. Welcome back.

10. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

He isn't correcting his English. Read the rest of the thread. The OP was "uncorrecting" his own English...or sumthin:

11. games42

games42 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    has anyone tried the game? It looks like it might be fun? Or are we just hung up over the bad website and reviews?

12. stitchemwords

stitchemwords Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    #12 stitchemwords, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
    STITCH'EM WORDS here

Hi guys,
    I happen to stumble across this page and thought I will answer some queries.

Firstly yes the concept is from PictoWords, but obviously the complete application is written in Obj-C and SQLite, under XCode. Although I had no prior mac development experience, I loved the Pictoword game and wanted to port it out to iPhone. After several months of sleepless night, this is what I have. I am just hoping that you like the effort.

Secondly the reviews are completely valid, and I will be posting links to them on the website.

Thirdly, the website is under development. I can only do so much at a time, so I had put a temp page there, while I work on it. It should be coming shortly.

Lastly, in all posts I have tried to include the support email address, and have put it in application description as well, so that you may contact me for any reason whatsoever.

Currently I am having issues with crashes on a few Jailbroken phones. I have had about 4 complains and I am working very hard to resolve it. The trouble is that I have not been able to replicate it on my device and it works perfectly fine for most users. If any of you run into crash problems, I would really appreciate if you could send me the crash log so that I can figure out why is it crashing on a few phones.

If you guys have any suggestions, I would love to hear your feedbacks. You can contact me at stitchemwords@gmail.com

Regards,
    Syed

EDIT: Till our website goes live, and I can provide links to these reviews, I am substituting it with feedbacks left for the game so that no one feels they are being cheated in any way.

13. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Why don't you post the links here in the forum?

14. AndyL

AndyL Well-Known Member

#14 AndyL, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
    The dev sent me an email explaning why he didn't post the links:

Andy,
    I am sending this message with very good intention and no hidden motive whatsoever, and I really hope you won't read too much into it.

Please bear with me as I complete the site, and rest assured the links will be posted on it, followed by on all other forums. The reason for not posting links till site goes live is to to optimize the Page Rank of the website in Google searches, and I'm sure you would be aware of this practice if you have had exposure to whitehat SEO.

I realize that it was wrong of me to quote these sources without links, and I have removed it from the application description in iTunes for now.

I have also started modifying my postings in forums, if it included these references, and have started logging these so that I can update them later.

In the meanwhile, I assure you that I have worked really hard over last 4 months, to let something like this destroy my efforts.

I would like to invite you to try the game yourself, and measure its worthiness. I am left with 3 promo codes, and would be glad to give you one to try the game, if you are interested.

In return, I am not asking for any 20-page reviews, forum postings, or app store feedback whatsoever. This is just a goodwill offer, as I realize my actions might have unintentionally offended some people.

Regards,
    Syed

So guys give this dev some slack

15. touch_me

touch_me Active Member

Jan 20, 2009
    I don't know about you guys, but the game looks very interesting and very well done. Freak, if I can pay for iFart ... this game is well worth a purchase !

16. touch_me

touch_me Active Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Did you end up trying it ?

17. AndyL

AndyL Well-Known Member

You bought iFart!!!!????:eek::eek:

18. AndyL

AndyL Well-Known Member

Yep the dev gave me a promo code. The game is sweet. Just try it.

19. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    LOL. For a second I thought you were talking about iFart. I'd like to try this game but I've been spending too much lately.

20. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    #20 Donburns99, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
    Just snagged it, the game looks quite interesting.

Update
    One thing I've noted is that adding additional users should be more clear.
    You should be able to click the entire bottom button with the name in it, not just the icon to the left.

Update 2
    This game is fantastic. A word game that I actually find fun! Normal word games tend to bore me when they just give you letters and you have to make words from them. This is actually structured (as in the words to solve are linear and not randomly generated), but still makes you think hard for the answer. It's a lot of fun, definitely a nice twist to the standard word game.

The only downside is there is less "replayability" once you beat the game. You also have to be careful if you're watching someone else play, as it can easily ruin your experience as you'll know the answers when you come to them. Was watching the girlfriend play Round 2 and I fell into that scenario.

Update 3
    For those wondering about the screen shot, as I was before playing, I can explain it some.

[​IMG]

On the top you have the standard level and score indicator.

On the right, you have a standard progress bar, that fills from bottom to top; when filled you complete the level.

On the left of that, you have a word bank. As you can see, the first word has been guessed. Below it is the remaining words to be found, shown as blue squares and circles. These shapes are hints that tell you how the word is structured. Circles are letter icons and squares are picture icons that depict words.

Below the word bank is the selection boxes. When you select one of the four icons below it, the icon will move to the selection boxes. This is where you begin making a word from the letters and pictures.

Below the selection boxes are icon boxes. Here you have four more boxes with icons in them, sometimes more will be available and you'll be able to use the arrows to scroll and see more. These match the blue icons in the word bank. Once again, circle icons are letters and square icons are pictures that depict words. When you select one of these, it goes into the selection box above.

Once you have what you think of as a word in the selection boxes, you can select "STITCH IT" and try to submit that word. If correct, it shows up in the word bank. If incorrect, you'll see an error saying "Invalid Word".

"HINT" will give you a random part of the word in the word bank, but you get a bonus if you solve the level without hints.

"SHUFFLE" I assume will mix up the icons in the icon boxes.

"GIVE UP" quits the puzzle, ends the game and boots you to the main menu.

"MENU" saves the puzzle, so you can resume later and boots you to the main menu.

Update 4
    To be fair, it should be noted that this game does have a minor crash issue that happens rarely.

Of course you should reboot your device after installing, but rarely the game will crash even after that. While the girlfriend was playing the game crashed the second she selected the "Male in a business suit" icon during level 1. The game froze and she got booted back to the home screen.

It never crashed while I played and it didn't crash again for her after that.

Regardless, for 99 cents this is a steal, be sure to grab it before it goes up to the normal price of $3.99.