Here's how to bypass the 2nd gen iPod Touch Requirement (For GTA Chinatow Wars)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by qasim, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

Ooooooooh! I got it! Sorry for the mix up :)

2. SeminoleRob

SeminoleRob Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Hi Everyone, great site!

I have a question with the Ipod Touch 1G getaround, It shows it as being on my ipod, but its not there. I followed the instructions to the letter twice. Does it have to be jailbroke?

In the Applications library, I see the icon but its not there, it shows the "!"
    In the Devices, Rob's Ipod, it shows it under applications with icon and in the touch icons on the right, but its not on the ipod. Any tips or anything I overlooked? I hate to sound like an idiot :)

The RslP1.app file is in my folder with the other applications. The GTA file has been removed.

3. Raphie123

Raphie123 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Have you dragged the RslP1.app file directly in iTunes (under application tab) or have you put it in the applications folder (with all the others) through windows explorer? I don't know if it makes a difference (I think so) but maybe it's the problem.

Plus, maybe you don't have the right firmware (for this game you must be 3.1.2). I've done the same error before, thinking it would bypass this too (stupid I was :rolleyes: ) I think it's probably this problem that won't let you install the game on your iphone, since every game where you don't have the right firmware act exactly like yours (they show on your app library, they're checked in, ready to install, and poof, not there!)

Finally, I want to thank you qasim!! You've made me buy a fantastic game that runs flawlessly on my iPod, and now, I'm out! (playing GTA :cool:) WHo knows, maybe this will ruin my life :rolleyes:

4. SeminoleRob

SeminoleRob Member

Jan 19, 2010
    I'm running 3.1.2 (I just doublechecked). I put the file in the folder with the other applications. I'll try the other way and see if that does it.

5. Raphie123

Raphie123 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Ok, try to drag the right file in iTunes instead of in the application folder. If you do it correctly, you're suppose to see an .ipa file named RslP1 1.ipa when you open up the application directory in window explorer. (Sorry if I'm not clear enough :eek:) Hope for you this will work, it's so an amazing game!

6. SeminoleRob

SeminoleRob Member

Jan 19, 2010
    #86 SeminoleRob, Jan 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
    Yep, that did it. Installing now. Thanks for all your help!!

UPDATE: This is fun!

7. rj89

rj89 Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Anyone have instructions for installing using a mac? iTunes says I do not have enough access privilege for dragging and dropping the .app file into iTunes directly...and I'm the only user on this macbook! :/

8. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Are you sure it has to be 3.1.2? Sure it says it in the description but on the iTunes page it requires an iPhone or iPod Touch (2nd Gen) with OS 3.1 or higher

9. zero144

zero144 Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Yep same problem here. Exact same error message and I am also the only user on this computer.

10. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

!!! FOR THE PEOPLE WITH THE AUTHORIZATION ISSUE !!!

You must click Store > Authorize Computer.

I figured this out some time after I was crying because it wouldn't work ;)

11. rj89

rj89 Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Now after that what do I do when iTunes tells me the app was not installed because its resources have been modified?

12. Mormoop

Mormoop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    It might go away with an update if enough people are vocal about their success (and this ISN'T ILLEGAL if you're not redistributing the game, it's not like there aren't a million mods and hacks for PC versions of GTA. The only danger you're in doing this kind of thing is that they won't support it.)

They probably didn't want to risk releasing it for the lowest end device, since if a large number of people download and find out it won't work (and, ask for refunds..) it will be a huge fiasco.

After all just because it works now doesn't mean there won't be a point 20 or 30 hours into the game where it crashes, which is always a possibility with huge games... If that happened they'd have villagers with pitchforks and flaming torches bashing down their doors.

13. rj89

rj89 Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Now after authorization, what do I do when iTunes gives a message telling me that the app cannot be installed because it has been modified?

14. WunDaii

Hmm... I haven't had that problem, sorry :(

Are you sure you dragged the .app from the WinRAR properly? Are you sure you've updated properly? I'll send you a PM with a helpful link soon...

15. rj89

rj89 Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I'm pretty sure I did, I'm on a mac but I don't think that makes much of a difference, I've extracted the .ipa GTA app from my desktop to open the Payload folder which contains the RSlP1.app file, then I've dragged and dropped it into the iTunes applications tab and then it shows that unauthorization message again, but the RSlP1.app file somehow appears in the Mobile Applications folder/directory, so i double click on that and it appears as a blank icon in my Applications tab in iTunes as GTA (not Grand Theft Auto anymore) and appears blank in the iPod Touch area when syncing, but that "cannot install because app was modified" message appears and it does not install.

I don't know what else to do but wait until Rockstar does an official update to let us 1st gen Touch users to play this great game finally.

But thanks for the support and follow up replies and offer to DM any links! Hope my problem has helped anyone else with these strange errors...thanks again! :D

16. WunDaii

Oh, you're on a mac? Well then my link won't work :(

What tool did you use to extract the IPA?

And I doubt Rockstar will update, because the game needs the microphone, and us iPod touch 1G users aren't compatible unforunately.

17. Robert Gentel

Robert Gentel Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Anyone know if there is a way to get it installed on OS 3.0?

18. rj89

rj89 Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Thanks for the extra effort in helping, I really appreciate it!

I used the default extracting application, The Unarchiver to extract the .ipa file

19. WunDaii

Oh ok, well I'm sorry I couldn't help :eek:

20. WunDaii

Nope, I tried, and failed. Hardcore.