Universal Her Story (by Sam Barlow)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Hey guys,

If anyone's curious about the game but is afraid of spoilers, I made a video of just the first four clips the game gives you and me explaining the game a bit. Please be kind as I'm still getting used to doing voice overs.

2. Myqpalzm

Myqpalzm Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Pamulang, Indonesia
    Yesterday, I played Her Story on my iPhone 4. Unsuprisingly, it lags a lot and the screen is too slow to respond to my touch, but I'm here not to complain about those. If I remember correctly, I played until I got roughly half of the video clip. Halfway through, the game suprisingly could still run after all the minor problems that I encountered. After playing for an hour or two, I started experiencing a crash. The game always crash after playing 4-5 video clips, and it started getting worse after each crash. A few minutes later, after another crash, I restarted the game, waited the long loading screen and found a "credit" button below the "continue" button (or is it the "start" button? I don't remember) in the main menu. I tapped the "continue" button and started the whole game from the beginning. I don't know if this is a bug, or maybe I "completed" the game without knowing it?

3. That sounds like a bug. The only way to restart the game is actually from within the game itself. Even after getting the credits, you can just continue playing the same game like you were before. You should report these bugs to the dev.

4. Myqpalzm

Myqpalzm Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Pamulang, Indonesia
    Sent a report to the developer. Thank you for the suggestion! Maybe I will try to play the game again and see if the bug is still in there.

5. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    You are awesome, AppUnwrapper.

What a nice surprise to hear your voice (if you know what I mean)!

You should definitely incorporate more voiceovers into your video walkthroughs.

6. Thanks! :)
    I'm still getting used to it and I'm worried I'll ruin my walkthroughs lol. I also need to get a proper mic before I start using it to explain my walkthroughs. Right now I'm using my PC's built-in mic and I lean in to make sure I'm audible. :/

7. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    You have a very pleasant voice. Definitely encourage you to get a good quality condenser mic that will help even more to bring out your voice. :)

8. Thanks! That means a lot. :) I did have fewer "ums" this time, so I'm improving. ;) Will definitely try talking over the videos more and maybe even streaming once I have a proper mic.

9. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Great interview. I've been avoiding this thread and pretty much anything related to the game because to me Her Story is very much like reading a book. A good chunk of it lives in my imagination and I don't want my interpretation of the game and its story to be mixed up with how other people felt about it.

10. Interesting. I like hearing other people's takes on things. My discussion post has felt like a big book club. :)

11. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    I purchased the game.
    Honestly, I thought there would be more to it then just searching and watching video clips.
    Is that all there is to it? Am I missing something or doing something wrong?
    Yes, great acting. Am I suppose to solve the crime? And; when I do, is there a place to put the answer for solving it??
    I'm seeing some great reviews, so... What am I missing here?
    Thanks!

12. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

It all slowly starts to make sense. When you hear a interesting word, type it in and maybe you'll see videos you didn't see. There's a twist to the story that's not an actual twist but kind of is. Trust me.

On another note, has anyone tried typing in "Her Story?" I heard somewhere that if you do you get the entire background of the game!

13. #114 AppUnwrapper, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    A lot of the game takes place in your head. I know that sounds weird, but basically you're watching, listening, and then thinking about what you've seen. It's sort of the effect of a really good book or movie that just hijacks your brain.
    At least, that's what most people get from it. Not *everyone* will like it.

Also, my interviews with them gave me an even bigger appreciation for it. I asked Sam about the music -- so much thought went into every little detail.

14. I searched that pretty early on. What do you mean by the entire background of the game?
    She does reveal details of the murder in that clip, if that's what you mean.

15. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    That is what I had been doing. Type, search, view.... Again and again. I was hoping there was more to it then that.

I've read your interviews thus far. I understand what you wrote regarding 'the game takes place in your head.' And; that it may be like a book, but... I feel like I started reading the book at the middle. I don't think I would actually call it a game. Instead; maybe an interactive video story? It may possibly be my impatience. When I type another word, I have to press the back button and sometimes, well; a lot of times, the same video clips appear. It seems a bit monotonous and sometimes redundant. I don't know. I'll give it some more time before leaving a rating/review in the App Store. Right now, it may not be too favorable.

Thanks to both of you for your responses. :)

16. I'm having that problem with This War of Mine right now. So much hype, I was expecting to be blown away. But instead I'm bored.
    Her Story hooked me right away, though. I got through most of the clips in one sitting. And I keep trying to find another game to mimic that feeling.

A big part of the "game" aspect is finding those clips, though. There's a reason you can only find 5 at a time!

17. bebo_beta2002

bebo_beta2002 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    i purchased this game on my iphone 6s ios 9.0.2 and the game crashes when i launch it immediately
    is this game not working with ios 9 or iphone 6s?

18. It works fine on my 6S with 9.02.

19. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Ok so we bought this game but it isn't a game.
    Your just watching clips.
    Am I missing something . There is a database to search but what do you get from searching it.
    Is there a story part in which I have to write it out on a sheet provided that in a detective and I have to solve a motive , suspects, crime weapon, ect . Now that would have been a perfect game.
    At this point this game leaves out where we interact for it to be a game. 2 stars for the game because there is nothing for us to do here.
    The base of the game is here now add the interactive part for us to do.
    Could easily be 5 stars but they forgot about it being a game rather than just files to look at.

If I'm missing something please clue me in. I'm really interested in playing the game part of it if it's there