iPad Helsing's Fire (by Clickgamer.com)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Egoyan

Egoyan Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Beijing/Montréal
    Looks very interesting and original (always a plus on an iPhone game), and with everybody apparently so satisfied with it, I'll probably pick it up later today. I love firing up a hyped game for the first time and living that anxious moment - will it live up to it or not?

2. Nice game. The difficulty ramps up as you get into the 2nd and 3rd stages.

It took me 2 hours to beat the main part of the game, so I feel like I got good value for money too.

3. I'm not sure this was particularly hyped -- certainly not like some bigger name titles. But whatever hype there has been I'm certain it lives up to it. At the very least, it's unlike anything you've played before, and that alone is worth checking it out for; original ideas that aren't just forced mashups or contrived concepts that just don't quite work are hard to come by, so it's a pleasant surprise when one like this does. And it's got some polish to it too, so they didn't just stop once the concept was realized; they took some time to give it a nice topcoat.

4. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    That's what I'm worried about. I'll pass (until iPhone 4 is released here).

5. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I remember seeing a somewhat similar game (not for iPhone), but using light-shadow principles too. Anyone knows what the game is?

6. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    I cannot connect to Crystal today...

7. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    #47 djflippy, Jul 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
    Game Impressions

Helsing's Fire may just be the perfect iPhone game. It's smart, approachable, innovative, humorous, and one-metric-ton of fun. All of this, backed with a brilliant musical theme, stunning graphics, and a rock-bottom pricetag. If this doesn't become a hit, I will eat a bat.

8. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    This is a great puzzle game. I'm really having fun with it. Told a few friends to get it, and they are thanking me for letting them know about it.

For those worried about frame rate, it is a puzzler, not an action game, or even an action puzzler - at least at my stage. Frame rate to me would not decrease playability at all, just visuals.

A really unique puzzler as mentioned above by djflippy. Highly recommended.

9. camihq

camihq Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Finland
    #49 camihq, Jul 11, 2010
    OH. it's out, so any good impressions,
    Always gonna be 99 cent,
    Nothing bad things over here,
    Is it tilting game?

10. iamthekiller

iamthekiller Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    I've been looking forward to this - really digging it so far! No, it's not a tilt controlled game.

11. camihq

camihq Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Finland
    Great, I'll pick it then.

12. Obscure

Obscure Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Australia
    Sigh. There's way too many good games coming out, who knows how I'm going to find the time to play them all.

13. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    #53 don_k, Jul 11, 2010
    The game has a great art style, too bad the icon is too generic with that gradient sunburst. Much prefer the solid colours version like the one here:

[​IMG]

(the third screenshot)

14. xFinch713x

xFinch713x Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    yay! been working all day :\ Glad to see this is out though :) Purchased!

15. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Really enjoying this.

On my 3G, there is some slowdown, but it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game. Generally, the slowdown is most present after the stage is solved (the high fiving animations).

16. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Helsing- "He'll learn even slower now that he's dead!"
    Raffton- "Nice one, Sir"

Lmao

17. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    Downloaded it this morning. Having played 20 levels on hard setting, this is quite enjoyable and definitely original. It already had been on my radar since its introduction on Toucharcade's front page some days ago. No remarkable frame rate slowdown on my iPod Touch 2G in terms of playability, as was my only concern after reading some comments here.

Congrats to Ratloop- having played computer puzzle games since 1987, there aren't much designs on the appstore, which don't remind you of a dozen other games you have played before.

18. Zoet

Zoet Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Newcastle, Australia
    This is a really fun and unique game! The Victorian era setting is particularly good.
    I have no idea what the other posters are worrying about regard in slowdowns, though perhaps those sort of things don't bother me quite so much as they do others. I have played through most of the levels, tried out a bit of the survival mode - which I suck at :p The actual levels are pretty easy though, but I'm saving up the hard mode for the next playthrough.

Thankyou Ratloop!

19. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Glad to see everyone is enjoying it. I've bought it but haven't got round to trying it just yet. Looking forward to doing so.

20. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    Game Impressions

I saw HF is out when I came home at 3am and just could not help to play 10some levels. This is really fun and the 'british pigeon/gentlemen humor' is very amusing and perfectly contrasted the YO MAN!-like victory handshakes.
    Not to forget that the gameplay is really fun but until now not really challanging. I guess it will come later.