iPad Helsing's Fire (by Clickgamer.com)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 10, 2010.

1. sidewinder12s

sidewinder12s Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Student
    USA
    Ya!! its out!

2. ataloss

ataloss Well-Known Member

Well, all I can say is...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

:D

3. sheppy1

sheppy1 New Member

Jan 19, 2010
    I purchased it as soon as I read that it was out and I've also left a glowing review :D

4. #24 Mindfield, Jul 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
    This one intrigued me when I read the frontpage article about it, so I'm grabbing it now.

Hey, Kevin, did you have something to do with the shadow casting here or is it just a spiritual relation thing? :)

EDIT: Yup. This is a great little puzzler -- rather unique in concept and execution, and in a purposeful way rather than just trying to be different for difference's sake. The difficulty ramps up nicely, the gameplay is simple but very effective (if a little hard to see around your finger), and the puzzles get quite devious as you get into the higher levels. The sense of humour is a nice touch, too.

Brilliant little game, a real steal for a measly buck.

5. thecotanak

thecotanak Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Male
    Istanbul
    AWESOME!

I loved it, but frame rate is a bit slow on my 3G.
    BTW, You say Chillingo but it says Clickgamer on AppStore?

6. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Just an incredible coincidence! I had not seen Helsings Fire until a couple weeks before release... My earliest shadow casting demos on YouTube date back to March or April of this year.

I love the use of light and shadow to make puzzles. Early impressions from the first zone: highly unique, fun, and entertaining! :D

7. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
    It's a good game but the first 30 levels were way too easy I hope the rest are more challenging...

8. ataloss

I was initially worried by this too, but it does get more difficult later with the introduction of new monsters and other characters ;)

9. So you were probably working on them more or less at the same time. -- them maybe a tad longer. Both yours and theirs are quite good though.

Quite. It's not often something truly different and engaging comes along, but this one manages to be a very pleasant surprise on all sides.

10. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
    Thanks for the info, I was going to stop playing it for the day.

11. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    I should point out if you didn't notice in the options menu there is a level difficulty button. If you are finding the difficulty too easy just ramp it up to hard. Guaranteed to make you think!

12. ataloss

Good point. But, I'm saving that as a treat for later ;)

13. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    Yup always good for a second playthrough!

14. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    There is no denying this game does shadow play amazingly!

While the main game is a good trainer, I'm all the Survival Mode! It plays a lot like the main game but you need to keep solving the puzzles under a time limit with puzzles solved giving you bonus time to keep going further into later stages. While I know the game is over once you run out of time, I'm not sure what happens if you mess up a puzzle when you still have time on the clock. Your score is based entirely on how many baddies you take out before finally running out of time.

15. Georgina

Georgina Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2010
    Sydney
    Game Impressions

The polish on this game is just lovely. The way the torch light pulses, the adorable creatures, and I'm oddly fond of the little hand gestures at the end of each round. Like others, I'm finding it very easy so far, but looking forward to hopefully some harder puzzles down the pike.

One of my torches was eaten by a skeleton, and it said I had two more. Any idea what happens if you run out? Do you have to start again?

16. ataloss

Yes, but only for that particular area, not the entire game ;) (I think? :rolleyes:)

17. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Bought on impulse :)

18. Jyankee30

Jyankee30 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    New York
    You probably have to start that puzzle again. At the start of each puzzle you have 3 torches.

19. dukope

dukope Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Thanks Lord Gek!

If you run out of time or potions, or kill an innocent maiden, the survival ends. We tweaked the first survival arena to be on the easier side so I usually lose due to mistakes with the potions.

20. dukope

dukope Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Yup, that's right. You start with 3 torches each time you enter a puzzle. Except for the bosses and some of the later puzzles, the torch limit shouldn't affect you too much.