Helpful Phone/Pod Accessories

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Owl, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    #1 Owl, Apr 21, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
    So I saw this thing on a website my friend gave me, and I decided to make it. And it's awesome! :D

This is what it's supposed to be...

[​IMG]

And this is mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any sort of useful accessory like this? Because there's probably some things you can make that would help with your iDevice somehow, and I'm sure that I could find some by searching, but this is more fun.

Hope I'm not going against any sort of rule >>; I don't usually create threads. And hopefully the images didn't fail.

2. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    You made your own!!!!

3. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Yus :D They sell a kit on a site, and you get all the parts, but oyu need to solder it together and put it in the case.

Here: http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/

The kit cost like twenty bucks, and works pretty damn well actually. And, if you get a full sized tin like I did, you can put extra batteries inside it, like what I did. It's the blue thing, I put the batteries in a random bag I found.

4. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Very cool.. I may check this out :)

5. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Interesting. Like how you can use rechargeable batteries too. Thanks for the link.

6. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    And not only is it helpful, but it's an interesting do-it-yourself project. Didn't take me very long, but was still fun :p

7. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Hmmmm......wonder if my batteries will have a minty fresh smell.....heh!

Besides the 2 batteries that are being used, how many extra's will fit? ....another 3 perhaps?.... total of 5 batteries?

8. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    This look really cool. I need me one of them.

9. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    #9 Owl, Apr 21, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
    The way I put it in, only an extra two, but you never know, there might be a way to put in three. I doubt any more than that though. But that's if you get a big tin, if you get the small one they recommend, you won't have any extra batteries... But it will be quite a bit smaller.

Also, I should mention. In the compatibility list, they said that the iTouch only sometimes worked, so don't say I didn't warn ya about it. I have an original iPhone, and it seems to work fine. It'll be good for me, since I chug up most of the battery in my phone playing games :p

10. Crypton

Crypton Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    Doesn't the iPod Touch (and iPhone) need a 5V input to charge up properly?
    How many charges do you get from 2 standard AA-cells?
    Is your iPhone fully charged or only partial?

I for one have def. problems with one of my USB-Hubs. It has an external Power connector, but when I try to attach my iPod on it, the battery indicator in the top-bar switches constantly between charging and full, even if the battery is def. not fully charged!
    Therefore my first question.

11. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Wel to be honest, I'm not sure exactly how that stuff works >>; For me, it was just a "Look at the instructions and put it together" kind of thing. And since this thing is only for when I need it in school (I haven't been in school since I made it), I'll be able to use it there... In like an hour or two.