Help with repairing earphones

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by fallenashes, Mar 4, 2011.

1. fallenashes

fallenashes Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    yes
    The wires connecting the earbuds to the speakerpiece disconnected, and I was wondering if anyone knew, looking at the picture attached, how to repair them. I do have a soldering gun, and Google has not helped.

Attached Files:

2. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Ouch. Perhaps you could... buy some new ones? :D

3. fallenashes

fallenashes Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    yes
    I would like to save these if I can, though.

4. Googlyhead

Googlyhead Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    #4 Googlyhead, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
    Can't see anything wrong with the earpiece itself, so it's simply a matter of resoldering one wire to the -ve and the other to the +ve. Unfortunately, I can't make out any markings on the earpiece, so unless you can, it's 50:50 to get it the right way. It'll still work either way, but can sound different if the membrane 'pulls' when it should 'push' (and vice versa) - but then you can always resolder!
    (If you CAN see the labels; -ve is the gnd / outer wires, +ve is the inner insulated wire)

Not much you can do wrong;

(Ideally, use a little solder flux / paste to ease the flow of the solder. Dip wire tip in before any soldering involving it, and a thin dab on a pad before soldering that.)

(1) make sure the wires have at least a mm stripped and clean at the end (small scale speakers, so let's avoid any bulk)
    (2) 'tin' the wire (basically; get a little coating of solder on the stripped end, making sure it ends up clean and shiny). This will make it easier to join to the existing solder pads (and so; you apply heat for a shorter time, avoiding damage)
    (3) clamp the speaker down in some way; stick it in blue-tack, clamp it with some grips or clips; any way to ensure it'll stay in place without you needing a third hand!
    (4) hold tinned wire against target pad and melt solder; as soon as the wire goes into the molten blob, remove heat while holding wire in place for the second or two it takes to set again
    (5) repeat for second connection.

Note that a 'gun' isn't the ideal tool for small scale work; if you have a pointy-tipped soldering iron, it'll be easier.

5. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    someone give this man a medal

6. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    BASICALLY, I used to do this during Electronics class, and fortunately, I fixed my brother's earphones :).

Here's a easier way to explain it..

Buy a roll of flux (Maybe recommended), some super glue, and a soldering iron. You can get the flux and soldering iron from any crafty store or Home Depot I think..

Also have a wire cutter or something to strip away the plastic.

After that, just connect the 2 wires by using the soldering iron on the metal, just heat them then stick a wire on each one, it should cool down afterwards. If you don't have enough metal, then use the flux by cutting some off and put the flux on one side, and the soldering iron on the other.

Then all you have to do is to super-glue it back together, once you're positive it works (connect it to a iPod or something).