Help with a new iPad?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by K.D!, May 26, 2014.

1. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Ok, after owning several iPhones (3G, two 4's and a 5... eventually a 6 too), I've decided to finally pick up an iPad. I've decided to go with the iPad Air as I prefer the larger screen to the iPad Mini. However, I am aware that there'll likely be another iPad upgrade this year. What's the estimated launch period for the Air 2 (if that's what they call it) and is it expected to be a big upgrade? Basically, my question is would you suggest picking up and Air now or waiting until the Air 2 is released?

2. Crichton333

Crichton333 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Game developer
    "Cupertino-based tech giant will introduce the new tablets at the WWDC 2014, commencing June 2"

Air 2 is going to be released Q4 of 2014, aka November this year.

3. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Yeah - this autumn is the expected time.

I think the main things this one will have will be a spec bump and and that fingerprint thing.

If I didn't have one I don't think I could wait. As it is I'm dragging out my iPad 3 in the hope that the next one will up the ram as they've gone three generations on 1gb now and I think that'll hurt the longevity of the current iPad Air.

4. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    As the others have said, high chance of increased RAM in iPad Air 2. You might really want to hold out till then. Just buy a cheap Android tablet to use till then...

5. Definitely wait for ipad air 2 or ipad pro.

The ipad air is wayyyyyy underpowered in memory. A huge flaw.

6. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Thanks for the opinions guys, I did end up just picking up an Air as I don't really 'game' on my iDevices much these days. It's mostly for work, web browsing and occasional movies on the long journey to visit my girlfriend so the RAM isn't much of an issue for me. Plus, I guess I could always sell it and pick up an Air 2 when it releases if my feelings change between now and then.

7. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't run out of RAM when I game, but I do run out of RAM when web browsing or reading Flipboard/Zite on my trusty iPad 2...

iPadwonderswhyiOSclearstheappwhenitistheonlyappopenansIjustputitinsuspendmode...