Help select the name inspired by the Wayward Souls pricing strategy

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Sven - Monkube, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Not at all, developers not earning much and customers getting a good deal are all about the price, ultimately.

2. lilgac

lilgac Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Perhaps majority of people expect games in mobile/tablet platform to be very cheap, and along with the flood of games and developers wishing to get as most share as possible quickly, brings f2p, 2.99 etc as a "norm" pricing?..

If that's the case, I see little monetary incentive to produce and sell a great game solely for ios at that low price. Even if there's IAP, the fact that it is cheap/ low beginning makes most tend not to get the IAP if it's possible to "complete" the game without IAP. If it's advertised as IAP required for decent completion, most will not bother to purchase.

I guess for good premium console like games, it's porting route / having first success at desktop version or universal app for desktop and ios platform?

3. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Indeed.

I can't speak for anyone else, but we've pretty much given up trying to make a living out of mobile now. We've tried big games, small games, mass market games. We've had some small successes in terms of absolute download numbers but we've only turned a profit two years out of the six we've been doing it and even then nothing stellar - just about enough to cover the other four. I suspect that's better than most too.

In future we're targetting Steam for anything bigger than quickie time-wasters. Steam's not without similar problems, but the effective audience is larger and you can sell a decent indie game for 10 bucks or more and not get called greedy.

4. Xammond

Xammond Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    No I haven't. One of my games was 'just free', I have a binary right here which is an update for it and contains an ad. I shall move on from that it was merely an iOS8 fix and a reskin though the name/id remands deliberately unchanged.

For me it is all about the new game (and tying up that loose end).

I think it will be paid for sure. Probably will go for three bucks, never reduced. Tempted to launch on sale but only if I thought there would be exposure.