Help funding for upcoming game!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by angelsfan27vg, Feb 7, 2010.

1. #1 angelsfan27vg, Feb 7, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
    mods please move this if it's in the wrong section.

Iron Gate Studios is currently beginning development of a top-down space shooter like never before! We are currently seeking funding so be sure to check out our site at www.irongatestudios.com and check out our existing apps there!

If you donate more than $5 you will be listed in the thank you page on our website.

If you donate more than $10 you will be listed in the thank you page on our website and receive the game free.

If you donate more than $15 you will be listed in the thank you page on our website, receive the game free and get your name in the credits.

If you donate more than $25 you will be listed in the thank you page on our website, receive the game free, and be listed in the credits as an "Assistant producer".

If you donate more than $40 you will be listed in the thank you page on our website, receive the game free, be listed in the credits as an "Assistant producer" along with an advertisement on our website's "Sponsors" page.

If you donate more than $50 you will receive the game free, be listed on our website as well as in the credits as an "Producer" along with an advertisement on our website's "Sponsors" page, and receive a free Iron Gate Studios t-shirt.

If you donate more than $100 you will receive the game free, be listed on our website as well as in the credits as an "Executive producer" along with an advertisement on our website's "Sponsors" page, and receive a free Iron Gate Studios t-shirt, and a chance to design certain elements of the game!

Now is your chance to be a part of something big! :D

email me at [email protected] if you are interested in the project or would like to donate through paypal. the donate button will be up on our site soon!

2. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
  3. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Yes, everyone, please be sure to do just that.

4. Looks a little sketchy. I won't necessarily hold the free web hosting and its questionable toolbar ad against them -- everyone's gotta start somewhere. (That wholly generic city scene and bland white sans serif font in the title bar has gotta go though.) But their current portfolio doesn't really inspire a whole lot of confidence in their abilities, given that their current apps are all exceptionally simple little utilities that could each be programmed in a few hours. They do have a decent graphic designer though, which is a point in their favour.

5. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    Can you say.... "LURKER ALERT"??!!!

6. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Why do you keep saying that, that doesn't even make sense?

As for the main topic, asking for $200 + and no offense, your apps aren't the most amazing things, I'm not really sure many people are going to go for it. Try to rethink your strategy little more than ask again.

7. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    Lurker alert = newbie who joins just to ask for money, beta testing, or promo codes.

8. spidey146

Aug 14, 2009
    Firstly:Join Date: Apr 2009

Secondly did you even bother to look at his previous posts or did you just feel like upping your post count and jumping to conclusions? He's a real dev who spoke with people and actually had posts worth reading unlike SOMEONE else :rolleyes:.

9. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I don't see myself donating $200. Maybe $199. Not $200.

10. Spotlight

Spotlight Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Sounds like a great investment.
    I won't miss this chance.

11. I can understand your skeptisism but I assure you that I am an acutal developer that I am mainly running this by myself with no outside funding. The only reson I am doing this is because I want to make a great game for people like you to play. Yes we use free web hosting (I have to start somewhere) and I assure you the toolbar is just a way to keep tabs on what we are doing and includes both Twitter and RSS feeds with a link to our apps. I want you all to understand that I am not begging for money. I am just trying to do something similar to http://www.kickstarter.com and if you don't feel like donating, then don't. Getting the money to pay artists and programmers is dificult, and I am new to this scene, so instead of branding me as a "Lurker" instead try to help me and suggest ways to improve. I know esteemed members such as Flikkity, who I see constantly mentoring new developers, would agree with me there. I will adjust the original post to reflect more reasonable prices, and just in case you still think I am still just begging for money, I am working with a graphic artist to come up with a logo that will represent the company well. It will taking the place of the generic city skyline on our website, so now you hopefully you understand where I am coming from.

Thanks for the support,
    angelsfan27vg

12. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i think it has just been a common perception that people come here and post about this great idea and end up getting no-where with it. i am too also an indie developer who understands that things cost money - but if you can get donations to assist you; all the best.. mobile 1up put up a paypal donate button on our website; but, no-one contributes anything :)

while we have our own hosting; and i have to dig up funding for graphics etc from various places - we are no different from you ;) donations are a cool concept; just be sure that if you promise something you deliver on it. if anyone wants to donate to us - go ahead! :) we'll even take requests for stuff and if it is reasonable; we'll do it :p

13. spidey146

Aug 14, 2009
    Don't worry, we know you're not trying to mooch off of us, we are just saying that your current asking prices are a little high for your work, which (no offence) isn't the most amazing. They are simple, but as you said, everyone has to start somewhere, and I respect your enthusiasim and effort. Good luck with your work and let's hope we see you developp something great.

Oh, and as for the "lurker" commenbt, just ignore KGamelover over there, he just likes hearing his own voice.

14. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    how do you expect to do this? especially outside of the USA?

i printed a bunch of mobile1up t-shirts - i give them out for free to my nerdy friends or when i attend mobile mash-up's where i'm presenting. nothing like advertising with some nerds walking around with a nice logo on your shirt :)

15. Promo Codes i assumed would be the best way. And if not, then Ad-Hoc build I think would suffice

That a great idea! I was thinking of doing this as well :) is there a specific service you go through to get them printed? I was thinking of using Custom Ink www.customink.com for ours.

Best of luck to you as well! :D

16. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    adhoc requires a provisioning profile - which, expires after a certain period of time. so; you need to take this into consideration when dealing with giving away copies outside of the USA (promo codes work there). if you've been developing for a while; you'll find you may even have to recompile/resign your own development binaries.. i started a few of my old games up a few weeks ago and they wouldn't run.

i got them done using a local printing service - there are a bunch of places online that can offer the service as well. the more you buy, the cheaper it becomes. i ordered like 30-40 of each t-shirt size; they are in a nice little box waiting for some happy users to receive them.

you also gotta consider the cost of postage etc.. a few of my friends have them because i gave them to them for free :) but if you are going to send them around the world - it'll involve postage of some form. not to mention the issues of dealing with import taxes etc.. sometimes; being in the USA shields you from all this stuff.. but, this is an international market.

PS: mobile1up may look big from the outside; but it is a one-man show :) i have my own dedicated server running for years so hosting wasn't an issue and i wrote all my own web pages - typically php with a lot of special tricks pulling in information from the local file system and/or a database. i even host a series of tools for processing sales reports :) it takes time to setup; but once it is there - you ride easy.

17. M of IMAK

M of IMAK Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    iPhone App Developer
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the kickstarter.com link. I didn't know about that site. It seems that kickstarter.com already provides a method for you to promote your project. I wonder why you wouldn't go through them.

18. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    OT:
    yeah seems a great site, it made me want to fund the lumi textile printing thing...
    I'm in love with their card wallet, but I should shell out $45 ($30 + 15$ for intl. shipping) and maybe it's a bit too much :p

19. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

WOOHOO! let's hope you guys get it right!

20. D-Cypher

D-Cypher Well-Known Member

Confidential business proposal

Dear sir,

confidential business proposal

i am pleased to see your request for funding for iphone game development. After reviewing your most excellent idea and your associated website, i became very excited about this opportunity.

Having consulted with my colleagues and based on the information gathered from the nigerian chambers of commerce and industry, i have the privilege to request for your assistance to transfer the sum of $47,500,000.00 (forty seven million, five hundred thousand united states dollars) into your accounts for iphone game development.

The above sum resulted from an over-invoiced contract, executed commissioned and paid for about five years (5) ago by a foreign developer. This action was however intentional and since then the fund has been in a suspense account at the central bank of nigeria apex bank.

We are now ready to transfer the fund overseas and that is where you come in. It is important to inform you that as civil servants, we are forbidden to operate a foreign account; that is why we require your assistance. The total sum will be shared as follows: 70% for us, 25% for you and 5% for local and international expenses incident to the transfer.

The transfer is risk free on both sides. I am an accountant with the nigerian national gaming corporation (nngc). If you find this proposal acceptable, we shall require the following documents:

(a) your banker's name, telephone, account and fax numbers.

(b) your private telephone and fax numbers -- for confidentiality and easy communication.

(c) your letter-headed paper stamped and signed.

Alternatively we will furnish you with the text of what to type into your letter-headed paper, along with a breakdown explaining, comprehensively what we require of you. The business will take us thirty (30) working days to accomplish.

Please reply urgently.

Best regards