iPad Hellboy II: The Golden Army - Tooth Fairy Terror

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sam the lion, Jan 19, 2009.

1. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    #1 sam the lion, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2009
    App Store link

did you try it?

simple but nice free shooter. tap to shoot, shake to reload. The best part is when you kill several tooth fairies with a single shot. The worst is that it doesn't seem to record scores at all.

BTW, I still haven't seen the movie!

2. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    The Movie is a blast,
    the game is senseless and cheap.

3. OahuSurf

OahuSurf Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2008
    I loved the first Hellboy movie, and bought the second on release....but some how have not had a chance to watch it yet....every time I see it on my DVD shelf I ask myself why the hell I haven't watched it yet.... which is what im asking myself right now.... oh well, time for bed, haha.

4. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    Hated the movie, game looks crap too..

5. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Whaaaaat? The movie was much better than the first one!
    Or didn't you even like the first one? :)
    But game IS crap, right...

6. sam the lion

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    I don't think the game is that bad, yes it's very basic, but it's the kind of simple game you play multiple times to improve the records... like papi jump, only with taps :p

7. wiesse

wiesse Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The game is just a reminder to NOT try free apps.

8. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    @wiesse, the game is a reminder of how rediculously retarded hellboy is.. Free games can be really quite good.. Look at Jelly Car, Trace, Pakoon III, Lock 'n' Roll etc. All very high quality..

Also, I havn't seen Hellboy I, but I got bored watching the second one and stopped halfway because it was just stupid.. just my opinion, I'm not big on those types of movies tho..

9. Silver Orange

Silver Orange Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    California
    The game gets really boring after like three tries.

10. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Yet again, the iphone/touch isn't taken seriously by some developers

11. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    The game doesn't work on the 1st gen iPod touch.

So, in addition to developers not taking this platform seriously to their own detriment, these goobers split the market.

Morons. I know it's free, so it's not like they're losing money, but...still...this kind of thing makes one lose confidence in the developers. If they don't care about 1st gen iTouch owners, why in the hell should us 1st gen iTouch owners care about them or any of their future releases?

12. DannyV

DannyV Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Graphic Designer
    This game is garbage...I have not however watched the movies yet.

13. scotthmccoy

scotthmccoy New Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Tooth Fairy Terror

Hey guys!

I'm a new iphone/ipod touch app developer and my first app just got published to the App Store! It's called Hellboy II: The Golden Army - Tooth Fairy Terror. If you've seen the movie it's about the part where they fight the tooth fairies in the auction house.

It's a pretty simple app. Fairies fly at you and you tap them to shoot, and shake the phone to reload. If you get kill streaks you can earn healthups and a larger max ammo.

My dark masters at the company I work for bade me post on several iphone/ipod forums to get the word out. It's a free game, so please check it out:
    http://tuesday.com/hellboy/

Thanks for Reading,
    Scott McCoy

14. sam the lion

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    Hi Scott,

unfortunately for you, it seems I am the only one that found your product amusing in its simplicity (I like tapping fast... tap tap revenge rules).

anyway... I don't know if it has any value for you, but it's still on my phone.

15. QuickWit

QuickWit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Video Writer, Director, Producer
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Actually... I liked the game for what it was... Fun and Free.

I'm not sure what people are looking for in a free game, but I enjoyed it. That doesn't mean that I can see myself going back to it again and again, but for a few hours it was something fun to do and my son liked it enough to put it on his device.

Is this game earth shattering? No. It is setting a new mark for free games everywhere? Again, no. But some of the people on this thread have made it seem like it's a freaking DS Effects game.

A high score board is the only thing that might be missing as to something I'd keep for more than a few days, but, come on...

16. scotthmccoy

scotthmccoy New Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Hi Spiffy,

You'll be glad to know we took your review very seriously, went out and bought a first gen iPod touch and tested the game on it. It apparently worked all along on the first gen, we just didn't couldn't afford a first gen during development and so didn't want to flag it in the appstore as working for that device if we hadn't tested it on it. It's now flagged for first gen users to download, so get splatting! :D

Anyways thanks for the feedback, it is appreciated!

17. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    At first I thought, "really? a full featured hell boy game?" then I read "tooth fairy terror". of course not, we're getting another promo game :rolleyes: these things terrorize web sites, and now they're coming to the appstore. greeeaaat! :D

18. scotthmccoy

scotthmccoy New Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Thanks sam! I'm glad you like it. That's pretty much what we had in mind; a simple game that's quick enough for you or your grandma to play while standing in line at quiznos and try to beat your personal best at. I can usually get to 200 fairies killed, sometimes 230 or so. One of my bosses can consistently get to 250!

Here's a little trick to help you out. A streak of 10 is worth 1 point of health, and a streak of 20 will upgrade your max ammo but can only be done twice. So, once you get the first ammo upgrade, let one of the fairies hit you to reset your streak and then get to a 20 streak again. You'll have full ammo upgrades and no net health lost!

We really wanted to add stuff like Liz's fire ability as a touch-and-drag attack and a high scores site but since it was to be a free game we couldn't get all our ideas in. I think our next game will be much better!

I very much appreciate all you guys' feedback and criticism, and also thanks to whoever moved my "hi guys" post into this thread. :)

19. yankjenets

yankjenets Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Geez guys, its free, give the dev a break. A lot of hard work goes into these things, and they aren't even trying to make money off of it (yet, at least :)). If you are going to criticize the game, at least say what you think could improve rather than blindly saying that it is terrible.