iPhone Hell: Fight for Gilrand (by Slitherine)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 25, 2015.

1. HCS_Radneto

HCS_Radneto New Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Studio Manager
    Scotland
    Thanks for posting the video Touchy85, it's really nice to see how you guys play the game!

I've relayed all the comments from this thread to the development team, so we'll certainly look into the various issues players are seeing.

Rothgarr : If you go into settings there is a game speed slider which will let you control the speed of the unit animations, it's set to 100% but turning it down to around 50% will provide the result you are looking for!

How far have you guys got in the campaign and what difficulty are you playing on?

2. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    Bit disappointed...doesn't run half as smooth as BA2 on my iPad 4 nor have the same level of polish. What really narks me off though is that units don't reduce graphically...ie I see six demons on the unit even if I have taken half their hit points...just makes it harder to visually distinguish the battlefield (In BA squad members die so it's easy to spot a weakened unit without having to click on it).

Personally I think BattleLore is far superior but dont rule out changing my mind after spending more time with it!

3. mgdpublic

mgdpublic Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Should have known I'd be disappointed with a Hunted Cow game. In fact, I find them to be far and away the most consistently disappointing developer on the app store. What's so frustrating is they put out wargames that I would LOVE to play if they were any good. We clearly have the same general tastes but they just half-ass everything. They put out 5 mediocre games instead of one good one. For instance, what the hell do these people have against an undo button? I want one not because I want to take back a bad move but to take back a mistaken one! We're playing on these small mobile devices and it's easy to hit the wrong hex. That is soooooo frustrating and i can't think of a single game that has an undo. And fog of war is no excuse. If people want to cheat by taking back a bad fog of war move then that's their choice. The other thing they rarely if ever have in their games is the ability see enemy unit movement and attack ranges by selecting enemy units. There are so many great things about the basics of Hell but I can already tell it will be too frustrating to play much longer.

4. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Not sure if it's your iPad or what but the units DO indeed change/reduce depending on damage, at least in the campaign they do. Turn off shadows for a much smoother experience. Also I don't see much of a comparison between this and Battlelore. The two are quite different in gameplay.

5. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Oh wow... thinking the same things playing this last night. Such spot on criticism! Game is fun. But... the valid points stated above... I mean... why do they even need to be pointed out?

6. Crzychkn

Crzychkn Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Utah, USA
    I don't know that I'm to the level of disappoint you are, but I haven't had much experience with HCS personally.

After having played it a bit more some things stick out a bit more to me:

1. Undo button. While I don't really want one, it is incredibly infuriating to try to select a unit with the overwatch ability, only to have that ability activate because it pops up right where I am tapping to select the unit. Frustrating as it essentially ruins the turn for the unit. Either an undo button is needed, or a better UI is, with the abilities on the edge of the screen maybe.

2. It feels incredibly janky. Not only with the selection issue above, but when scrolling or moving units. Like another poster said, it feels very clunky when scrolling the map to look around. It's almost as if the view camera is tied to the hex grid. Also, sometimes when scrolling it will go crazy and move the camera to a completely different side of the map than I was trying to go. Not sure why this happens.

3. It is sometimes very difficult to distinguish where enemy units are against the terrain. It doesn't seem to have enough contrast to the units to be very clear. I have to look very closely sometimes to see where enemies are.

The game and theme itself is pretty awesome. I love the fantasy more than tanks, so I'm happy I got this instead of say Battle Academy 2. If it can be smoothed out and tweaked it could be great, but as is I would say it's just good. Worth your $10? I would say yes, if you like fantasy more than tanks. If you like tanks, and Battle Academy doesn't suffer from these issues (I don't know if it does, I haven't played it), then I would say the additional $10 towards BA2 is the better choice currently. However, a few tweaks and this is a fantastic game.

7. mgdpublic

mgdpublic Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Ha, I felt like I was bitching too much already so I shut up but I was considering including these exact comments as well. "Janky" is a great term to describe the feeling. Trying to unselect units is a pain though i'd say it's an even bigger pain in Battle Academy unfortunately. That damn little green path line in BA sticks to your finger like a piece of tape off a christmas present. It matters more on larger maps.

Hunted Cow I hope you're listening because you guys do have some great ideas. As a matter of fact you guys have ideas I've always wanted but never found in other wargames. There was some great stuff in Road to Moscow too. Incidentally, I wouldn't worry about criticism regarding throwing a lot of units at us to make up for bad AI. You'll never make an AI that can beat us without a lot of units and I'd rather you throw us more units than make it too easy (which you do in almost every game but this one). People want feedback on whether they are using good tactics and the only way to do that is to have you and your testers titrate the difficulty by adding units until you have to use good tactics to win. But the first rule of making a game fun is to not make it frustrating.

8. PipFromSlitherine

PipFromSlitherine Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    One thing to try if you are finding performance an issue is (as one poster mentioned) turning off the shadows. Hell pushes the hardware harder than most games and so disabling shadows is a good idea on older hardware (including, annoyingly, the original Air, which has borked polygon hardware :mad: ).

Cheers

Pip

9. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Hell: Fight for Gilrand was successfully nominated for Touch Arcade Forum Members' Game of the Week. If this was your favorite game this week you can vote by clicking here.

10. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Guys please do something about the overwatch button.. It's happened to me several times where I'm trying to select a unit and end up pressing it..

11. thewickedbadger

thewickedbadger Well-Known Member

May 31, 2012
    I really want to snag this game, I noticed it's been updated in store, is it worth getting now or should I wait for another improvement from the developers?

12. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

I think it will run much better on the iPad UltraAir 7 due out in 2032.
    What sort of improvements do you want? Holographic projection (I think that's planned for a future update when the hardware catches up) and SmellSense to give that full blood and guts experience. Come on Apple, sort it out - now you managed to repurchase your domain names you should have plenty of time on your hands!

Sorry don't mean to sound snarky at you specifically but it is kind of weird that you really want a game but waiting for some undisclosed "perfect" update. If you want it, get it, enjoy it and be part of the reason that will give developers a reason to spend more time on the thing (if it needs it, I don't know)... don't be mad at me please :)

13. thewickedbadger

May 31, 2012
    Whoa thanks for the response.

14. thewickedbadger

May 31, 2012
    Actually, because of the touch arcade review, I purchased this and ignored the post from Baracus##

15. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

hehe, good badger :)
    ...not wicked at all
    Let us know what you think of it once you played some.

Sorry for messing with you. No hard feelings? ;)

16. thewickedbadger

May 31, 2012
    No worries at all, it was an entertaining melodrama or something #

17. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    For some reason even though I love tbs games I've never looked at Slitherine as I don't really like the war themes but do like medieval and fantasy themes so am also looking at this now. Did I just miss a sale though? I'm sure I remember a post a few days ago about one.

18. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Hell hasn't been on sale, but it is half the price of some other Slitherine games. It's well worth the money I think :)

19. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Can anyone tell me which is the best game? This, battle academy 2 and warhammer all look good.

Also are the battles mostly endless until victory? There's no time or turn limits? I hate it when all levels say beat in 10 turns and then that's it.

Never purchased any of their expensive games but willing to give one a go.