Universal Helix (by Michael Brough)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 15, 2014.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #101 syntheticvoid, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    Woo!! Good luck! That name sounds familiar (just looked it up - ha... should have known, oh well)

I see that he's got 115 though, good luck!... I was hoping to break 100 today, but I didn't. I wound up spending most of my time in Vortex Mode.

I've drained my battery twice today playing this... I'm hooked. =oP

**oh yeah... the soundtrack - so great!

2. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm the same, getting more hooked the more I play! This game is fantastic. Yup I would call them bosses, I just realized beating a boss starts the next mode (beat the brog moss and then terror mode starts). I haven't been able to beat the terror mode boss yet. Ok back to playing....

3. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    This.

4. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #104 syntheticvoid, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    Yeah, I don't even know how to deal with the terror mode boss... I did not know that terror started after beating the Brog mode boss though... I need to get to that terror boss with a 'shield/bomb'
    =oP

**ha, I hit 80... The boss appeared... Then my contact popped outta my eye.

I wound up beating my old score but only by 2.

It was the first time I REALLY REALLY wished there was a pause button... But if there was one, it'd prolly just get in the way... Maybe a three finger tap?

5. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Haha that extra 2 points was enough to put you ahead of me again!

I managed to beat the terror mode boss one time, after about 100 attempts. :p

I have yet to even see the vortex boss, I keep getting to the point where the boss starts to fade in grey and I repeatedly die before it appears. Looking forward to seeing it! I have managed to tie my vortex high score twice but not beat it - arg!

6. bobish

bobish Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Michael. Loving this game! What were your thoughts on having a daily best score logged? Maybe weekly and monthly too? I think it would add to the revisiting of the game.

7. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Just took a look at the scores - you crushed it!!! Awesome!!!

8. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    I was just reading back over this thread, there are several comments about no risk vs reward or bonus system. I just discovered today there actually is a risk/reward/bonus system.

Maybe everyone is already aware of this and I am just late...but anyhow:

-> Circle the egg to hatch it (and then survive the butterfly type things that hatch)
    -> shortly after that a new square type of enemy will spawn that you need to circle 5 times to destroy
    -> if you destroy that enemy it takes you to a type of bonus screen where you are invincible, 7 or 8 enemies go across fairly quickly if you hit the enemies you don't die instead you just go back to regular play, if you miss killing one of the enemies it takes you back to regular play
    -> if you manage to circle and destroy all of those 7 or 8 enemies in the bonus mode you go back to regular mode but you are still invincible, you can take one hit and not die - instead it will kill all enemies on screen and give you the points and you keep going. this is essentially like an extra life.

This game is pure awesome.

9. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Oh, nice!

10. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I have no idea why I am not getting notifications for this thread, but I'm not.

Anywho... Thanks ! And yeah, that's what I meant when I said the bomb/ shield thing. I hit the terror boss with it and before I (very recklessly) died, I could have swore that the bomb going off gave him a couple circles around his 'body'.

BTW xjaff , congrats on those scores!!!

11. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Ah yes when you posted about the shield/bomb I had no idea what it meant, now I understand. You discovered it way before I did!

Lol, same to you! I just added 40 pts today once I figured out the shield/bomb thing. We keep leap frogging - your vortex score is up there! I think I am at my peak at vortex, haven't been able to improve in days. Don't think I have even seen the vortex boss yet - have you?

12. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #112 coolpepper43, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
    I have concluded along with my cousins and friends on Thanksgiving that the controls for this game are completely off. The length between my finger and the character constantly changes as I play during the round. I could start a half inch between my finger and the character. In a few seconds the space could grow to 4 or five inches, in the next few seconds it would shrink. A game like this requires precise controls. Also, the movement is laggy. You can test this by putting your finger on your character then moving it across the screen. You will see that the tracking is off and lags behind. I tested this on an iPad Air 2 and an iPad mini retina. I don't understand how a game that got 5 stars on TA and 5 on the forum for a game with imprecise laggy controls for a game that requires complete precision . I'm confused... :(

13. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    The controls were designed that way on purpose. It wouldn't work with constant 1:1 absolute or relative controls

14. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    How? I don't understand. There are other games like this that have 1:1 or relative controls. I really would like to know why this game is that way.

15. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    I think if it was 1:1 your hand would be obscuring much of the action as you would have to move it across the entire screen. I actually play this with my thumb, with my thumb in the lower corner the entire time I can see everything at all times - I find the control very precise and works well.

16. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Ok, maybe 1:1 would not the best for everyone for this game. If it was 1:1, I would probably use a stylus, which I love to play with for these types of games. But why not relative controls? Would that solve my problems with the floaty rubber band controls and solve the covering up the character problem. I don't really understand even how the current controls even work. How can they be precise if the space between your thumb/finger and the character constantly change. It seems that I have to work with the controls rather than the controls work for me.

If possible I would love to hear from the dev on how the controls are calculated and why the distance constantly changes while playing. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything I just want to have as much fun as everyone else is having with this game. Maybe if I could understand what causes the distance to change, I can alter the way I am playing.

17. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #117 JCho133, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    They're definitely unique, haha. You'll notice that the distance changes at a consistent rate though. The game is magnifying your movements almost so you can move your finger in a small space and be able to cover a big space (I.e. Your screen).

Look, try playing with your thumb in the lower right corner of the screen the whole time. Then you'll understand. (Or left if you're a lefty)

18. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    1:1 just not work for this game. It is kind of like Jeff Minter's Gridrunner, I remember when he released a lite version of the game he changed the controls in the lite version to 1:1 and it played completely different than the full version of the game. Of course months later we saw the full version get updated to include the new control option but I still can't get use to it.

I think the main reason it would work is what was already stated, your hand would constantly obstruct your view.

This game is brilliant though so play it a bit and get use to the controls, you'll get sucked in for good. :)

19. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Thanks guys for the tips and explanations. I will keep trying and hopefully I can get used to the controls and join in on the fun. :)

20. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Maybe you'll reconsider your one-star rating of the game until you figure the controls out. I think one-starring a game for this is not reasonable at best and just plain unfair - not only to the developer, but also to your fellow gamer who may be a potential buyer skimming this thread.

The controls are absolutely perfect. They couldn't be any better.
    They are frustrating at first, sure, but absolutely perfect once mastered.