iPad HECTOR: Badge of Carnage Ep1 (By Straandlooper)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by iVaro, Jun 2, 2010.

1. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    My take on it would be that it will be like watching a movie twice. You'll find things you missed before but the overall game will be the same. Having said that, this is a must get, in my opinion. There's alot of wonderful things in life that you can only do once. Don't let that ruin the moment for you.

2. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Sorry, life interrupted. That and it took a night to download.

Speaking of night...

3. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Hmm, I'm about 3 minutes in and I think this is the most perfect game EVER!

That might change, but still.

The production values are OUTSTANDING!

In the history of the world I've never seen anything more beautiful.

Ok, I'm lying, but still.

GET THIS APP! Room 1112, eat your Sudoku-ruining heart out!

I already know I want the coming episodes.

4. articulate

articulate Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I second that ;)

5. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Play Monkey Island. It has a great hint system. Who wants to get stuck and have to go to a FAQ? Adventure game creators KNOW that not everyone will get that you have to stack the box onto the other box in the right order after combining the rope with the hook and then use the wheel on the floor as a pully to move a little rock 5 inches to the left. It might be obvious to THEM, but not to everyone.

So, in Monkey Island, there's a 3-step hint system. First a little nudge, nothing substantive...then a more significant hint...then an all-out solution. When you get stuck you can invoke it nice and easy, and it improves the gameplay a LOT.

Even the best adventure game ever created, The Longest Journey, had this problem. And there's the solution, right there, in Monkey Island, and it's great. So yes, every adventure game SHOULD include a hint system like that. After all you're not playing it to get frustrated at stupid things, you're playing it for the fun and story. What worse way to break things up can there be to get stuck for 5 hours until you find the correct pixel to click?

...not that this game necessarily requires that, but it DOES have SOME equivalent SOMEWHERE. It's impossible not to. I would wager a lot of money on that fact, if I had a lot of money. But iTunes apps take all my money. :-(

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I've played Monkey Island. Yeah, the hint system is good, but you need it because many of the puzzles go way into la-la-game-land logic and are ridiculously difficult to figure out -- hence the frustration "at stupid things." I haven't finish Hector yet, but so far I haven't run into a puzzle that didn't make sense within the context of the game -- this plays much more like Sam and Max than a classic LucasArts adventure. In any event, Hector does have a hint system, it's just integrated into the game rather than an additional tacked on layer.

I have more respect for the STP crew than a lot of people do around here. But sometimes their reviews display an alarming level of cluelessness.

7. Camaro8

Camaro8 Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Ok..I'll pick it up and enjoy...It might be a good game to show off to my friends...I have really never played adventure style games..I do have 2 games like that on my Iphone that I have not played and they have been on it for months.. Dexter and Profiler..getting ready to download Hector :D

8. Camaro8

Camaro8 Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Ok ..cool ...I have my favorite movies that I have watched over and over again...Anchorman..The Legend of Ron Burgandy..I have seen it about 20 times..and still love it..SOLD...Hector is downloading now...!!

9. BrainGame

BrainGame Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Nurse
    Philippines
    bought it but i can't get through the first area... :p

10. Thaurin

Thaurin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    #130 Thaurin, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
    No, it should be hard to get at hints of solutions. Once you've done it once, you'll run back more easily. I used to have to download solutions from dial-up bulletin boards and *hope* that I could fine one. But once I had it, I went back to it way too soon when I got stuck for a few minutes. And it ruins the game. It's actually pretty cool to think about a problem for an hour and then come up with the logical solution. Of course, the game needs to have high quality puzzles for that to work (as few non-sensical as possible). I become lazy when I have a hint system readily available.

But then again, different people play games in different ways... some people might not care for the whole thing and would not play adventure games at all without an in-game hint system. But still... the hunt is half the fun.

You mean the TellTale games, I guess? Because Sam & Max: Hit the Road was a LucasArts game, of course. :) About this hint system, I've not seen anything like that in Hector? Obviously there are hints in the game, like all adventure games (how else would you come to a solution?) but is that what you mean?

I'm kind of stuck trying to get that taser, by the way. I'm pretty sure I've found all the hotspots and there is just no logical next step!!

11. articulate

articulate Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    It definitely depends on the person. I like this subtle hint system. It's not blatantly obvious and finding out by yourself really bestows this grand sense of achievement if the puzzle/story sequence was particularly difficult.

Then again, I have a friend who treats games of the 'Adventure' genre as graphic novels and hints his way through the entire affair and is still happy at the end because he was entertained, somewhat like reading a book.

12. Thaurin

Thaurin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Ha, I did that a few times when I lagged behind on TellTale's Sam & Max or Monkey Island episodic games. When you're two episodes behind, you tend to feel the pressure. ;) There are times that I don't feel like really getting into games.

Still, I'm still stuck in Hector and I'm tempted to look up the answer! :(

13. Zaz

Zaz Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Monkey Island has weird puzzles, so yes, you really need a hint system :p
    Hector has normal puzzles so most of the time it's not a problem to solve them (the main problem is doing the things in the right order). If you need help, you just have to talk to your partner Lambert who give you some tips but it's not obvious he can help you (I missed it before being totally stuck and discovered it with a "I'll talk to everybody, perhaps I missed something").

Dear inspector Hector :)p) > I had some crashes too and I was annoyed at the beginning by the fact there is no "save" button (luckily, the auto-save when you leave works well). So the 1 star review is not totally crazy ;)

14. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    #134 sammysin, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  15. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Part of what makes these games great for me is trying to figure out stuff, I find X item, now what if I try and bind it with Y... I made Z, now I can open door A to find that really door B was the right one.

All that kind of stuff is why I love these games, hint systems are good but I bet a lot of people would abuse it and ruin the main enjoyment just to power through a game.

16. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    How's the difficulty of this game?

17. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    To be honest, I had a lot of trouble getting out of the first room, but I haven't had much trouble from then on. It's never too hard to stop you from enjoying. You just have to look at and explore everything.

If you have trouble, there is a help thread in General.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Or you can talk to Lambert. He may be an idiot, but he's kind of savant, too.

19. turdkenny

turdkenny Member

Jun 2, 2010
    I'm stuck at level 1 :confused: Can't get out of the bedroom

Anybody want to give me some friendly tips here? :D

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Friendly tip: check out the first few pages of this thread :).