iPad Heavy Mach – side-scrolling tank game.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Rocketman919, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
  2. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Just grabbed it... Impressions soon.

4. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    how soon?

5. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    This game shows some promise, can't wait to read your impressions.

6. darkhorse

Jan 18, 2009
    #6 darkhorse, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
    My bad, had some syncing issues and I had to reboot so I wouldn't get any crashes.

All right, I played through the first mission which has 4 stages. Pretty easy for the most part. Then again it was the first mission. The controls work well. Tap just about anywhere on the screen except behind the tank to fire your airstrikes bombs etc. There was no music so it was a somewhat dull experience (sound effects are good). But I have to say, I had some fun anyway. It still crashed as soon as I was done with the first mission trying to select the next mission otherwise, I would've kept going... I see theirs no collision effect if you don't destroy the tanks the first go round. If you want to go back and get another shot at it, tilt the device to the left to get another chance. As you destroy tanks helicopters etc, you gain experience. When full, you can either upgrade your movement of your tank, your defenses or your offense.

7. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    Best game description EVER!

8. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    it's pretty good.

well done. the game mechanic is kinda simple. but good. still playing.

arn

9. MilkRobotics

MilkRobotics Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Graphic Software Development
    Oregon
    Nice graphics, so so game play

There is a lack of good 2D side scrollers like Metal Slug for iPhone. So I hoped that Heavy Mach would sate some of the want.

I didn't experience any crashes or rebooting needs on the iPhone 3G. Started up and played no problem.

Fantastic graphics. Definitely some of the best polished interfaces and graphic imagery and design for the iPhone. Alas the game play is very basic. For each mission there are several 'levels'. Unfortunately there are no bosses until I think the 3rd or 4th level of Mission 1. Game play is much too easy and basically just involves going along, occasionally hopping to a platform or a small gap. Since there is no collision between other enemies there is no urgency to destroy everything. Helicopters move extremely static. Physics is so so with no secondary animation (like bouncing or squashing.)

The actual animation of the enemies and the tank is very limited (if any at all.) As far as I could see destroyed enemies provide no visual candy apart from the explosions.

Once you get past the visuals you realize this is a basic basic scroller.

I play without sound for various reasons, so no comment there.

It seems to lack 'fun'. I think its a worthwhile game to follow in future versions, but it really should be at the 99c price point due to its unpolished nature, if only to pay the fantastic artists.

10. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    /..

welcome to the site and thanks for the review!!

11. MilkRobotics

MilkRobotics Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Absolute pleasure. I've been following TouchArcade RSS for a while and been wanting to review some of the games, so its the perfect place.

12. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    here's a quick gameplay vid

I agree with most of MilkRobotics points, though it does seem to get more difficult. I'm not sure how more varied it gets though.

arn

13. MilkRobotics

MilkRobotics Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Thanks for putting the vid up, was going to do it later, but no need now ;p

14. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    I have to say I really like it.

There are a few oddities. And the documentation is kinda poor, so I'm not entirely sure I'm not just missing anything.

- The menu button doesn't work in the game

- It seems like you only get one set of powerups as you go. So if you die, you start the level over again, but if you try again, you only have the weapons you had left when you died. So it's good to be judicious about your use of weapons and use them only when you need to.

I made it to Mission 3, and it did get harder. Basic mechanic the same. But for $2.99, this is definitely worth it.

arn

15. darkhorse

Jan 18, 2009
    #15 darkhorse, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
    This app sure has some crashing issues. I can't even get past Mission 2 part 4 without a crash. Getting pretty annoying. :/ I synced the app, rebooted had my first crash while I was trying to select/play the second mission and now I had at least 5 crashes trying to pass LV4. After the 4th, I deleted the app, rebooted, then reinstalled and rebooted yet again and crashed anyway at the same level.

Edit: Tried to play from LV 3 and crashed still on LV4.

Edit again: Finally got past it...

16. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I've played just level 01-01. Graphics are great. Controls work nice. No music but excellent sounds. So far I'm enjoying the game!

17. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I won't buy unless there's a lite version. Just doesn't seem like my cup of tea

18. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Heavy Mach.

Whos played it? What do you think? Is it recommended or is a price cut coming our way?

AND MY GOD WHEN IS ZEN BOUND ARRIVING?

19. darkhorse

Jan 18, 2009
    I like it a lot. Apart from the crashes I've experienced, I say its worth the current price.

20. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

Great game

I played the game for a bit and have to say that I like it a lot. The graphics are really good, and as mentioned, are very Metal Slug-esque.

I can see this as a good "pick up and play" type game when I just want to get my quick fix on some destructive mayhem.

The controls take some getting used to, as with most accelerometer based games. My only question is why, when the tank is in mid air, can it go backwards really fast, but can only go up to a certain speed going forward, seems like it should be the other way around. Try jumping and then tilting backwards and it responds really quickly, but jump and move forwards and it moves at a slower speed.

I haven't played it with sound yet (iPod Touch 1st gen), so cannot really comment on that.

Overall for the price, I am not disappointed at all. I would give it 4 stars right now. I hope in the future the developer adds some more variety to the levels or maybe some additional weapons. They weapons are pretty awesome right now, but I would love to see something that would cause utter mayhem to everything on screen. It maybe in the game, but I haven't gone far enough to find out yet.