Universal HEAVENSTRIKE RIVALS - (by SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 28, 2014.

1. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    I'm shocked at the low ratings, I am loving this game!!! It's like a combo of combat monsters with final fantasy looking characters... I love it

2. JarvisDelta

JarvisDelta Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Can people please stop using their dislike of a company's management as justification for submitting 1-Star reviews for games they haven't played?? I understand the frustration, but please go vent in an appropriate forum. Some of us actually use these game discussion threads as a resource to learn about the immediately RELEVANT game's quality. Please and thank you.

3. DeMoNiCxTuToR

DeMoNiCxTuToR Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2013
    I used to play this game during the Initial Release. It's a fun game but when the high rollers come out w/ their 5*s its basically an uphill battle in the PvP Events.

1 Legendary in this game is too much of a game changer. Their Stats and Skills can determine the match within a few turns and theres almost no answer to it as a F2P unless you get lucky on your Pulls.

The Stam Recharge vs. Stage req. Stam to play gets pretty horrendous as you progress in the game.

4. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I agree. All u need is a 5 star on the field to start steamrolling.

5. natesmkdwn

natesmkdwn Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Just couldn't get into this game. To many out there for this to separate itself from the pack.

6. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    I'm pretty sure this is from the fallout of the The World Ends With You, I'm actually quite surprised by the response which can mean quite a number of people actually bought that game. Otherwise this game is quite well made, enjoying the animations, graphics, and gameplay. Haven't hit the pay wall yet so too sure how well balanced it is.

7. Caminagetcha

Caminagetcha Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Like what games????

Similar or better than this?

8. Opheus

Opheus Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2014
    #68 Opheus, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    I actually played it quite a bit during soft launch. I remembered the maximum amount of ge you can get for free is about 124. To roll for 10 heroes you need 40 or 45 gems (not sure which one). This limit your ability to build a strong team quite a bit. This together with timer, terrible balance heroes ability ( to me at least, an opponent once drop a legendary that has a skill that deals 4 damages to all my heroes, I lost that match obviously ).

I'm don't say that this game is pay to win but they really need to take a look at the matching and balance. I actually finished the single player campaign, managed to build up quite a good team but always got stomped non stop in PvP. Maybe I'm suck, maybe competitive game is not for me.

Anyway your choice if you want to try this game out, they might have done sth with the limited gems, daily log in or event. Graphically speaking, this game is stunning, as for the strategy, I'm not sure since I was quite bad at PvP. However do think twice before you invest money into this game. I'm not really happy with the direction SE is heading with their mobile market. First is Blood Masquerade, then World End. Who know how long this game will last.

9. Tonk Montana

Tonk Montana Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2010
    The paywall is real and hits hard and heavy. A lot of progression for your troops is tied to PVP wins and challenges and like others have said, unless you get some lucky 5* troop rolls, you are severely handicapped. This is pay-to-win in a very real sense. I stopped playing even though the story is engaging and I love the artwork.

Sigh, another game ruined by aggressive IAP. IMO.

10. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    #70 worldcitizen1919, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015

I HAVE played the game when it soft launched ages ago and didn't like it at all and deleted it then after a few hours play.

I gave it 1'star because for me it's a crap game. There are heaps of great games out there much better than this and I'm playing them. It's basically a pay to play and I'm not interested in a SE game which isn't premium.

Square Enix are at their best with premium games. They make the best games but this is just another of their cash grabs and I can't recommend it. I give it 1 star because I don't like.

I've played it and I don't like SE Freemium and always reject them. But I give just about all their premium 5 stars.

11. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Just because someone's view of the app is not to your liking doesn't give you the right to chastise them!

12. Spartyfan6262

Spartyfan6262 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Same here. This game has excellent graphics, a good story and good music. It's fun and I like it.

13. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    I'm only at level 4 so maybe that's why I haven't hit it yet. I play sporadically due to school so I wouldn't be able to know until a few days later. Well sucks to know that this game won't be as great as I hoped, the game does seem really engaging.

14. DeMoNiCxTuToR

Nov 22, 2013
    Don't get me wrong, production value & game mechanics are awesome. But sadly you'll have to invest a ton to get a 5* which is the only way to compete in PvP.

IMO, beat the Story Mode and then Uninstall. Don't bother w/ the PvP unless you're willing to drop serious $$$. With games like Banner Story on Sale for 4.99 I wouldn't even reinstall this game.

15. Daniel Lucus

Daniel Lucus New Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Game Impressions

Seems good, hot :D and mind tempering game.

16. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    How does this compare to, say, Hearthstone - which also requires either a major amount of grind OR some decent $$$ of investment to compete? I've spent a good bit of money on Hearthstone (only short a handful of minor legendaries now) but play it daily and as a result I've had great value for money on that title.

17. DeMoNiCxTuToR

Nov 22, 2013
    I've spent 230$ on Hearthstone w/ no regret, I wouldn't drop a dime on this game.

18. imuddy

imuddy Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Biggest issue without even getting to the gameplay is loading time. I swear this feels like a console game in terms of loading.

19. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #79 Ayjona, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    I'm no pal of Square (except for FFT, of which I am the bestest of friends), but I'm quite impressed by Heavenstrike Rivals, standardized anime storytelling and the shallow (though charming and wonderfully presented) setting notwithstanding. The mechanics are simple and basic, but the large variety of units inject quite a lot of tactical variety.

I'm curious if anyone knows, though: since Cores can only be earned on the first playthrough of any mission, and not in any other way I've found, is there a way to eventually grind for Cores infinitely?

I'm only a few hours in (and have yet to run into a paywall), but I've received confirmation from a pal that the whole single player campaign can be beaten without IAP expenditure. I've yet to run into a fight I could not win, but my friend just rearranged his squad and rethought his strategy when the going got tough, and often he would win easily, where he previously had failed miserably.

Always the problem with freemium titles: when the difficulty spikes, it's hard to determine if the reason is an artificial bloat to encourage IAP, or just the natural type of difficulty increase that we'd see in a premium title without any alternate means of progression.

In most cases, it is probably the former, but we've seen quite a few examples of freemium titles rejected as hard-paywalled and impossible to progress in past a certain point, only to eventually have players breeze past and beat the single player parts easily.

Heavenstrike Rivals, luckily, seems to belong to the latter group.

(Also, so far, PvP seems to offer up a mix of IAP-bolstered pay-to-winners, and players who play entirely for free. So while it's iresome to sometimes run up against absurd squad synergies and potentially overpowered combos and characters, you'll also run into plenty of players with the same possibilities as yourself, and with an evenly matched squad.

Also, like someone previously pointed out, it's fairly easy to end up with quite a few Super Rares and Legendary characters even as a free player, and - since synergy and composition matter more than rarity - there are terriblt effective squads made out of common and rares. So some of those power-squads might actually belong to free players.)

20. Reanto

Reanto Member

Aug 26, 2011
    I think its a nice and fun game but i dont understand if it cost nearly 300Skr to buy 45 gems so I can buy 10 more heroes.

If it is 300. then I will uninstall right away, so much money for 45 gems !!!