Heat wave in UK?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by NotYou, Jun 28, 2009.

1. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm a little confused. I just this article in the BBC saying there's to be a heat wave in the UK:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8122969.stm

It says it's is supposed to be about 29C. That's about 84F. Are you kidding me?:confused: They're even warning people to check on loved ones to make sure they're okay. I was thrilled that it's only supposed to be 84F today in Denver. That's a break from our normal 90+. Later in the summer we'll be seeing 100+. Colorado isn't even one of the really hot states. Even the Northern states are hot. I'm from Ohio, which is way up North, and the summers there are blazing.

Did I get the wrong numbers or something, or is the UK really that cool in the summer?

2. Gotty

Gotty Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    UK
    We in the UK are Super Cool all year round!

Its just that 29 degrees is hot to us in Blighty, as our weather is not as extreme as other places around the world!

Thank you Gulf Stream!

3. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    Beijing, China is usually like 30+ degree Celsius in the summer.

Hope you guys are ok over there in UK. :D

4. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    It just stopped raining here and apparently there is going to be a heat wave? :rolleyes: The weather in England is pretty temperamental. It's always changing and it never really gets very hot, in fact 29°C is pretty hot to us.

5. Mwalk

Mwalk Well-Known Member

May 2, 2009
    Dirt poor student
    In the old stompin' grounds of Simon Kenton on the
    I'm guessing that the English would not like Texas weather then. Right now it is 30'c (86'f) with the potential to reach 38'c (100'f) down here in Texas.

To give the English credit, the average high for the months of June and July is 18.1'c (64.6'f) and 20.6'c (69.1'f) respectfully.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_the_United_Kingdom

6. daveak

daveak Well-Known Member

That is a heatwave for us, at the moment according to my weather widget it is 20C. Ohio isn't way up north, considering parts of the UK are further north than quite a bit of Canada.

7. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

We (Ireland) are getting that heat too. All last week was roasting. It was great being outside only thing was with hurling training and hurling matches on i was exhausted in the heat. Seriously, going on training in that heat is not fun :(

8. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    It is 92 F here in Alabama. The thing to remember is that Europe is much farther north than most of the US. Hope everyone stays cool, the heat is almost too much here. I was in France a few weeks ago and most of the places there didn’t have the air conditioning that Americans are so used to. It could be a real problem if temperatures got really high without an effective way to cool down your house. I don't know how it is in England though.

9. Yagami_Light

Yagami_Light Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    We've had a pretty good time so far here, in MA. There have been a few days where we got over 85, but for the most part, it has been between 60 and 70. I can't stand hot weather. Last year was terrible. It was 85-95 pretty much every day.

10. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Lol seriously?

[​IMG]

and it's 10:45 in the morning! :rolleyes:

11. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    For the area of Kariba, in Zimbabwe:

Man, I miss the warm weather... The weather here in the UK sucks... :(

12. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    lol come here to LA it's like cold in the morning yet people wear shorts and T-Shirts but in the afternoon we get to say ello to 89-100 degrees every summer so if you come to Cali in the southern area it's heaven

13. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I live in Florida, which in itself, is a super-heated swamp with a humidity of 99% (one more percent and we'd be officially underwater). Now, if that weren't enough, I live in a city that, in a sense, is one big concrete and asphalt block. So the heat that comes down is reflected onto our bodies a second time. It's like living in a microwave. The only sport I'll do in this weather is swimming. You have no idea how good it feels to dive in and let your skin just sizzle off the heat :D

14. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Current temp:

Celsius:
    [​IMG]

Fahrenheit:
    [​IMG]