iPad Heat Shield - space flight game

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by monoRAIL, Mar 7, 2009.

1. monoRAIL

monoRAIL Well-Known Member

#1 monoRAIL, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2009
    Heat Shield is my first iPhone game. I developed it using the Torque 2D engine from Garage Games.

Features:

• A unique combination of tilt and touch based gameplay not possible on any other platform.
    • 10 Missions on different planets and moons in our solar system.
    • 6 real spacecraft, each with unique handling.
    • Tutorial mission teaches you how to control your craft and complete mission objectives.
    • Online leaderboard.

Trailer on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWzPlZVYMho

Screenshots:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

http://blackmarketgames.com/heatshield

Click here to get Heat Shield on iTunes ($1.99)

2. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Welcome to the forums and congrats on releasing Heat Shield! How'd you come up with the concept? It seems pretty unique and very physics oriented.

3. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    so... you're flying ships within circles?

4. monoRAIL

Big Albie - Thanks for the welcome. The concept really evolved out of the restrictions of using the Torque engine for iPhone development. I had originally planned to make a shoot-em-up (here's a video of the work-in-progress: http://vimeo.com/2571061) however I found that Torque just wasn't fast enough to handle that many colliding objects on screen at once.

So I scrapped that design and came up with a new game, which had to have fewer moving objects and collisions. I also decided to switch to tilt as the main control scheme because I felt that keeping a finger on the screen for player control was obscuring the graphics too much.

Kamazar - The circle indicates the 'optimal trajectory' that you need to keep your spacecraft on to make a safe landing. If you stray off that circle for too long you start to overheat. Also if you miss the countdown buttons or press them too soon you can fail the mission. It gets quite tricky later on when you have to keep your craft on target and also time the multiple button presses.

5. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I love the idea as well, very unique and original game. Well done :)

6. monoRAIL

Well I've learned my first lesson in iPhone development. My game has Apple's date of approval as its release date - not the date it became available on the store (which was one week later, to allow for some paperwork to be completed). Which means it shows up on page 5 or 6 of the games lists on iTunes, and of course, nobody is noticing it.

I will have to ensure my future games get released the very same day Apple approves them in order to actually sell any copies!!!

7. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Looks cool. Nice work.

8. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    I really like that you scrapped the idea. Too many shooters on the App Store so far and this game looks not only unique, but fun. Cannot wait to get it!

9. monoRAIL

Brazilian Rider - It's very hard to just scrap something after you've been working on it for months, but I think it was the right thing to do in the end. Hopefully this game will have more of a unique appeal. It certainly runs faster than the shooter I was making anyway :)

10. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    I think you made a great decision. I've always wanted a game that "simulates" re-entry. Now I have a viable, creative, good-looking, and intuitive option.

11. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    I think you made the right choice. I'm going to download this soon and post my first impressions.

12. monoRAIL

Thanks guys - I've been reading the Touch Arcade RSS feed for months now, to keep up with the state of the iPhone games market, but this is my first time posting here on the forums. I have to say I'm very impressed - this is a very supportive community!

13. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    i bought it and i love it. its so unique, something that cant be done on any other system. Just add animated finishing sequences so we can see our ship land or crash in the water and update it with more levels and you'll have 5 stars. as is its definitely worth the money at 4 stars. i love the heat reflections. you can almost feel the force behind it. I also love the fact you can calibrate your tilt and there are global high scores !! those means the most to me. i would advertise that in your description. great job, looking forward to a possible update.

14. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    I'm picking this up tonight so I'm going to give this a try and post some impressions when I can.

15. GreenLightJerky

GreenLightJerky Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Senior support engineer, jerky guru
    California
    I just grabbed this too.
    my iphone is getting a work out!

16. monoRAIL

Thanks J.R. - you're the first customer to upload a high score to the leaderboard! All the other scores on there are from my testers :)

It's funny you should mention animated finishing sequences - initially I had planned to do this, with a 3 frame comic-style sequence showing each landing or crash... but it was just taking too long! With only 10 missions that's 30 success images and 30 fail images to paint. I had a deadline of finishing the game by the end of February so there just wasn't time to put in all of the animated sequences, and I decided to cut it back to one image per mission.

I'm glad you liked the heat effect - I spent a lot of time on that as it's a pretty important part of the game. I wanted it to really feel like you're on the verge of burning up.

I hope to see you on top of the leaderboards soon!

17. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Heat Shield exceeds my expectations, and there's nothing like it. You actually feel like you're burning up. From the video, you would think it's easy to maintain the right trajectory, but what throws you is adjusting thrusters, adjusting pitch and even putting on seatbelts. You would think pressing buttons would be easy, but that easily throws you off. And then of course, there's the timer which makes every move even more critical. I'm looking forward to additional updates, and getting in some more practice.

18. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008

when i get more time to play, im sure ill be on top of those leaderboards!!!!

great game. im seriously loving it. its one of the most unique games out there. it would be cool to maybe have an altimeter showing how fast your descent is and how close you are to smashing into the ground. i think having something like a siren go off when your close would heighten the tension. i just thought it would be cool actually see in full motion, crashing and landing. maybe you could at some point make the landing interactive, with more button presses, etc. overall great job, im glad i took the plunge. lets hope touch arcade features it on the front page to help get you some recognition. excellent game, thanks!!

19. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    @monorail: so far I'm having a blast going through the various missions, and hopefully you can add more in future updates. To second J.R.'s comments, a splash landing would add a lot to Heat Shield. But otherwise, this is a challenging game and enjoying the ride. I hope others give this a go.

20. AmazingRuss

AmazingRuss Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    They did the same thing to me...and I didn't have any issues to resolve. Snowball Fight didn't show up on any lists until maybe a week after it hit the store, and that was 4 days after submitting it. The only way I've ever been able to find it is via search or scanning the big category list.

I'm kind of wondering if it's worth the effort to make more iPhone games.