Universal Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (by Blizzard)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    That's odd coz i dont experience any lag at all, other than when looking for opponents or when starting the game which sync's with the servers as that takes a bit of time to execute.

2. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Guys I have barely touched any other games since I started playing this... I am fairly addicted you could say :cool: anyone else feel like that?

3. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Guilty here.

4. RLennon

RLennon Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2013
    I have a Mage deck with lots of monsters that have spell damage +1 on them. Get a couple of those guys out and your Mage spells are doing insane damage all over the place.

That extra damage could be used for creature control, or direct damage to your opponent.

I have a question for those who have been playing longer than I have. How is it possible that I am in the lower ranks (20-25), and I am facing off against players with crazy strong legendary and epic cards? How are players that lowly ranked getting such good cards?

Rob

5. cdkilgore21

cdkilgore21 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Are you running into players like that after winning a few games? Now I have no clue for sure how the matchmaking works but I would assume that after you beat a few people considered "on your level" that the game will bump you up to play against someone a little stronger. Maybe that's what's happening?

6. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    If you have tons of cards (some may have gotten through IAPs), you can convert excess cards to dust, and these dust can be used to craft cards you need.

The matchmaking is based on user's win-loss ratio, it may also be using the elo system, but im not sure about that. But one thing is clear (from what i've seen so far), the cards in your deck does not affect matchmaking rules.

You can complete all cards without ever playing in ranked modes.

7. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    What I like about this game is that its easy to play but incredibly hard to master, like a good MOBA.

8. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Glad I am not alone bud!

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I've actually played a bit of EPOCH.2 and Monument Valley in between Hearthstone sessions. Just that it's only a mission or 2 in EPOCH.2, or one stage in Monument Valley before i spend an hour or more on Hearthstone.

10. SpikeGuy

SpikeGuy Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    The rankings are reset every month. The reset was only a few days ago. I've gotten a very good legendary card after I did terrible in the arena. That was a pleasant surprise.

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Maybe the game has a Compassion Routine... :D ;)

That said, no iPhone support for the game is really lame move by Blizzard.
    Looking at all the available card games / board games for iPhone, I don't understand them.

12. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    They've said that they're working on an iPhone version, but I don't support them doing it. It might be a threat to national security to make the game THAT easy to access.

13. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    #133 Alister, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    My advice to you and newly ordained hearthstone players. Avoid ranked play unless you have either collected all the basic cards. Go play casual first, ranked play is brutally competitive since blizzard is giving grad-master status to top players (just like in Starcraft 2). You might also want to be very familiar with all the cards and current meta trends because most of the players you'll face does.

As for what deck is a nice start-up to go for ranked play.. Go aggro.. It's cheap to build and doesn't need more than one legend (that would be Leroy Jenkins) and not he's mandatory. Control decks need a lot of legends and epic cards to be successful at ranked..Well that's how I started..

Btw EP do add me.. If you like, battle net ID: prosper05

Edit:It might just be you've encountered power decks because the new season just started and the rankings are reset.. Each month the rankings will have a reset.. But regardless ranked play is brutal..

14. RLennon

RLennon Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Personally, I have made no IAP's yet. The biggest difference of rank was six. I was 25 and matched against a 19. I've since worked myself up to 20. I guess the spell dust thing could account for the cards I am seeing played against me

Still loving this, and I feel addiction creeping in. I hear the 'Job's done!' Sound byte in my head as I am trying to sleep. Too funny

Rob

15. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    #135 HansKaosu, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  16. CaptLudd

CaptLudd Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    So how is the A.I.? Is the practice mode only 7 hands deep and then you have to play against humans? Or is it like ascension with an A.I. Opponent always available. And if so is it competitive or a pushover or impossible to beat?

17. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #137 Exact-Psience, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    2 levels of AI opponents (normal and expert) that you can play over and over. Doesnt give much rewards after you hit level 10 on your characters though.

Normal level AI does some obvious errors from time to time, but still knows which characters to prioritize or when to attack which, so the AI isnt that bad on Normal. On expert, well, AI isnt too high either, but i think they sport more rare cards in their decks which just makes them a lot more difficult to play against.

18. CaptLudd

CaptLudd Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Thanks for the info. Does it take much time to hit level 10 or does that come quickly?

19. Wemac

Wemac Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Game Reviewer
    Been playing since early beta and I have to say that this freaking rocks on iPad. The booster packs are even a bit cheaper on iPad in my currency (sweden). I will spend soo many hours with this...

I just got two complaints, the game does not run super smooth on my old iPad mini non retina (and that's fine, it's old hardware after all, and im used to play on a maxed out 2013 iMac 27") this will tip me over into getting a new iPad.

My second compaint is that I've just bought FTL...and now I dont know what to play because both are amazing #

20. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Ya, certainly doesn't run terribly on iPad 3 but there are hiccups, not super smooth.