Universal Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (by Blizzard)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Apr 2, 2014.

1. popjam5

popjam5 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Does anyone know how I can get gold/money? I don't get any on a practice match or against an opponent.

Also, I don't really understand how to sort out your deck. Are all the cards you collect put into your deck? How many cards ina deck, and how do i swap them around?

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Woah, my first key in the arena gave me 60 coins, 25 coins and a booster pack! I think i'll be spending a lot of time in the arena. Playing in the Arena costs either 150 gold or $1.99 in IAP though, so that may slow down the Arena visits :D

3. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #83 Exact-Psience, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    The easiest ones to get are from quests. The next ones come from the Arena which is a draft mode of play where you create a deck from random sets of 3.

Havent tried yet, but maybe Ranked games may provide gold as well, or they may not.

The Arena entrance of $2 is what's bothering me right now. The first entry is free, which led me to believe i can farm better here in draft, but now it's a bit expensive to join.

For each Class you unlock, you get the "starter set" for them.

Each starter set is a playable 30-card deck. Decks need to have 30 cards in them to become playable.

Playing the classes will level them up, and levelling them up will unlock more cards specific to that class.

In the main menu (where Play, Practice and Arena are found), there is a tab at the bottom that says "My Collection." This brings you to the deck customization screens. Tap "New Deck" to start customizing from the cards you've gotten from levelling up or from booster packs.

Hope that helps :)

Im still unsure as to what "Crafting Mode" does. I think it lets you convert cards into dust, and use the dust to get cards for the class you want to "main" as these cards couldnt be found in starter decks or in Level Up rewards. Im pretty sure these are cards you can get randomly from packs though. The Crafting just guarantees you get these cards asap, which is kinda like trading (unfair trades i might add LOL) stuff you dont need to get cards you need in real TCG life.

4. SpikeGuy

SpikeGuy Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    It's definitely what I've been waiting for. A lot of the things that annoy me about Magic don't exist with Hearthstone. The #1 annoyance for me was getting a high mana card that you get and never get to use because you don't draw a land, don't draw a land, don't draw a land again, etc. I also love that if I only have 15 minutes to spare I can still fire up a game of Hearthstone knowing it will be over by then.

The daily missions you get are varied. If you don't like one you can get rid of one once a day and swap it for another one.

5. rdriskell

rdriskell Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Awesomely smooth...

So I could not stand the wait. I created a CA itunes account and downloaded.

Great!!! I have a mini retina, and it plays very smoothly. I did see this late last night on Blizzards site:

"Launching Hearthstone in a limited set of countries allows us to focus on the end-to-end player experience and make sure it’s awesome before we move on to the rest of the world. If you don’t live in Australia, Canada, or New Zealand, you don’t have much longer to wait to get your hands on Hearthstone for iPad—Murloc Scout’s honor."

So the US release.....??? :(

6. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    If I make a Canadian login account, download the game and switch back to my main login itunes account, will the game requires again the canadian details?
    Thank you!

7. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    You just use the Canadian account to download what you want, then switch back to American (or whatever) to play. It uses a Blizzard Battle.net account for play / game save / etc, so no need to worry about your Gamecenter or iCloud or anything.

8. nkarafo

Mar 2, 2011
    Thank you. :)

9. nkarafo

Mar 2, 2011
    #89 nkarafo, Apr 3, 2014
  10. Namorat

Namorat Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Thank you. I don't think I have a battle.net account... Unless the one I think I had for Warcraft 2 is still active :D

Thanks. That is good to know :)

11. RLennon

RLennon Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2013
    I would give Hearthstone a rating of 4.999999 out of five. Only having to pay for the arena (my preferred way play) is the only negative I have so far. Loving everything else, though!

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^true... Really enjoyed my arena run and it sucks that i have to either waste gold or pay real cash to get in that mode.

13. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Quick tip - you can reset your daily quests by hitting the small "X" - you can only do this once a day.

Try to change your 40 gold quests into 60 and 100 ones. Love that I can play this game on my ipad now.

14. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    When I was playing on PC, there seemed like a real lack of cards / strategy etc. Has it gotten better since I played maybe 2 months ago? Cause I really dont get the hype for this.

15. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Can anyone access it right now? All I can see now is a door with a flashing blue symbol on it but cannot enter the game. Yes, I use my NZ account to get it and I was able to finish up my tutorial earlier.

16. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #96 Ayjona, Apr 3, 2014
    See my and Exact-Psience's discussion on the subject earlier in this thread, beginning on page three. In short, Blizard purposefully designed Hearthstone to be extremely approachable, super-polished, but simple in both design, play and presentation. My guess they are hoping to do for CCGs what WoW did for MMOs, albeit on a smaller scale.

That is, when compared to physical TCGs and the more complex digital card games. Compared to most freemium products, Hearthstone is not only absurdly polished and quite generous in its freemium implemention, but quite a bit more tactical than the vast majority.

The upside for those of us looking for complex experiences is that Hearthstone might open the floodgates for even more digital TCGs, and prove there is a larger market than previously expected, much like WoW might have helped inspire and pave the way for hundreds of clones, and a few truly original MMO experiences.

And one of the greatest CCGs of all times might be just around the code-shaped bend (see point #5)...

17. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Thanks for the excellent response. I am also awaiting HEX, which I threw a lot of money at in kickstarter. Assuming it ever does make it to iOS

18. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

So is Arena a separate purchase EACH TIME you enter it (so after 3 losses you got to pay again) or the IAP gives you unlimited access?

19. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I had forgotten all about Hex! That's one to look out for!

If you can resign yourself to desktop play, Faeria might be another interesting TCG-like project.

And if you haven't already, check out Scrolls from Mojang. There is some sort of slim, fleeting chance it might eventually be ported to iOS.

20. SpikeGuy

SpikeGuy Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Each time. At the very minimum you'll get a card pack and a small amount of dust or gold. You have a chance for a lot more if you do well.