Universal Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (by Blizzard)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    So you cant create another account if you have a balance in your main store?

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    o_O i saw it on the sideboard and needed to check first if the thread was not created on april 1st.

now i need to dig out my NZ account data... hmm hmm

3. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Holy cow, haven't played WoW in years and deleted my authenticator app. Now I have to go through a whole thing with blizzard to have the old one removed and use a new one. Guess I won't be playing anymore tonight!

4. Namorat

Namorat Member

Mar 8, 2014
    I am sorry if I missed this, but does this game have a singleplayer mode Not necessarily a story-mode, but the possibility to stay away from the internet and still play it?

5. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    no. you need to be able to access your battle.net account.. and somehow i'm missing the single player training part.. but need to double check the desktop version which i only played a bit during the beta

6. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Wow. I. Am. Awful. Lol. Hopefully I get better as I play.

7. falco

falco Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Canada
    Of course the more you play the more you get better if you understand you will find a lot of things with pratice.

8. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Yes. There's offline practice matches that you can play.

9. Mandi

Mandi Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Well, I had to create a Canadian account just to get this early! I started playing this weekend just so I could redeem the 3 packs that came with Diablo 3 RoS, and dammit I' m hooked. I'm also not bad. ^_^ I'm AtomicMandii on Battle.net, BTW, always looking for friends.

10. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Okay okay, so I'm rly freakin' excited. I just want to ask if someone knows if it's possible to change AppStore Accounts if it's get released worldwide? I want to buy some booster packs through IAP but don't want to charge my NZ account. Is it possible?

11. Dark horse

Dark horse Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2014
    awesome~ i have waited for it for a long time

12. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #72 Ayjona, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    Game Impressions

In comparison to most classic TGCs (among them Magic, with other prominent examples being CoC, Android: Netrunner and Vampire: the Eternal Struggle), Hearthstone is still unabashedly simplistic. But, as I said a few pages back, this is Blizzard's expressed intent, and they have succeeded wonderfully.

Among the freemium card games of the App Store, it stands as a giant, mostly in terms of polish and visual appeal, but also in complexity. Assassin's Creed: Recollection has it squarely beaten, though. A shame it is no longer available for new players. (But then, AC:R was more complex than many classical cardboard TCGs, even before adding in the timing mechanics.)

So from a freemium perspective, Hearthstone is certainly strategy galore. From a general TCG perspective, it plays more like an excellent introductory class to TCG:ing (but, like I wrote in my last post, I do not mean this in a demeaning fashion at all, but as praise).

EDIT: If Owen of Pocket Tactics is indeed right, and we might soon get our very first Living Card Game ported to iOS, Hearthstone (with a little help from Solforge for the casual end) and Android: Netrunner might together cover a very wide spectrum of TCG appeal, and really make iOS a wonderful platform for collective card games.

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Hearthstone is the simplified version of World of Warcraft TG which involves instant spells and effects (spells cast on opponent's turns), different types of equips (each player can equip one headgear, one body equip, one pair of glove/gauntlet, up to two rings, one accessory, etc), has a deeper resource management, and more.

Despite the toned down mechanics of WoW TCG, as you said, Hearthstone is a giant among TCGs on iOS which was the point of me saying that the game has these strategy options.

14. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    I'm enjoying this game immensely.
    No real steep learning curve, if you're used to this genre, it's pretty much taken the best parts of all previous CCG's and moulded it into this game. Bravo Blizzard.
    Graphics are clean and crisp, no apparent lag in online games, a deck editor, casual or ranked online games, it's setup perfectly for iOS gaming.
    Naturally the more I progress and start dabbling with the deck editor and better opponents I may feel tempted to buy some IAP cards but I'm hoping there is enough variety and volume of free-to-earn cards to negate this in the first instance.
    Hope others take the plunge.

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I believe so, since your account is tied with your Blizzard battle.net access. It would be great if anyone can confirm the cross platform compatibility and the battle.net saving.

16. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If my recollection is correct, the WoW TCG was an attempt to create a more approachable Magic (with the addition of some active hero mechanics, such as the equips you mention, attacks, etc), which would make Hearthstone a Magic derivative. Not a bad pedigree. And it shows. The M:tG paradigm is evident in Hearthstone, in all good ways.

Definitively. Were it not for the now defunct Assassin's Creed: Recollection (which actually was one of the finest TCGs I ever played, surprising me to no end when I finally got past my bias towards the series and tried the card game), I would have proclaimed Hearthstone the king of the platform. It can reign in AC:R's absence ;)

My primary point was to alert veterans of the genre that Hearthstone is not the be all, end all TCG we have been waiting for, but rather a very, very nice and highly polished diversion. I have high hopes that it will do for TCGs what WoW did for MMORPGs (albeit on a much smaller scale), and create a broad and casual interest in the genre, allowing smaller offshoots and competing TCGs a larger player base than previously possible. Hopefully, there will be less near-clonage and less adherence to a very strict paradigm than in the case of WoW, and more alternative products with the depth that the trendsetter lacks.

(Two iOS TCGs which should also not be dismissed frivolously are Urban and Fantasy Rivals. What might seem like simple mechanics at first, opens up into a sophisticated, deep and above all rewarding world of tactics when you realize that the games do not revolve much around deck building and synergy, but rather around a very complex interplay of psychology, prediction, bluffing, anticipation and countering the expectations of your opponent. Plus, the freemium mechanics are rather forgiving, offering players a reasonably steady supply of new cards, even though this is also not apparent from the outset.)

Confirmed.

17. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yup... Most of the artwork even came from WoW TCG. At this point i think the appstore proved that in-depth games dont get as much attention as casual ones do, so i really hope the balance achieved by toning down WoW TCG into Hearthstone's mechanics is the perfect formula for mobile gaming.

Hearthstone, as it is now, even in soft release, is a beast on iOS, and even surpassed Magic 2014 or the Playdek titles for me (and i mean in my opinion, coz i feel like someone will quote me on this without the "for me" part. LOL).

Anyways, i've just hit lv10 on the mage, unlocked her 20 class specific cards, and just unlocked all classes as well, while spending ZERO for now as im waiting to purchase only with my PH account as that's where my wallet is.

Thanks for confirming cross compatibility!

18. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Ah, thanks for pushing my comment EP :) and thanks for confirming Ayjona. :)

19. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Sadly, yeah. (Though there are some refreshing exceptions of hardcore survivalists and minor success stories of in-depth titles, all hail Starbase Orion, Ravenmark, Bug Heroes 2, Calculords, King of Dragon Pass, Playdek titles and the like.)

And yeah, I think Hearthstone is as close to the "perfect mobile fit" as we've seen any card/board game get. Let's hope this does not stop rival developers from upping the strategy ante regardless :)

In as far comparisons to the deck-building and board-card game hybrid genres are possible, I would not say Hearthstone is anywhere near Nightfall or Summoner Wars (or even Ascension) in depth of tactics and complexity. But in pure fun, yeah, I can see where yer coming from ;)

Yeah, the game seems perfectly playable without ever spending a dollar. While I don't agree with Owen of PT that Hearthstone features one of the most generous f2p models ever (far from, I'd say it stands in the middle of "balanced" and "fair"), it is definitively still generous enough to to strike the kind of balance that will keep free players around, but provide enough incentive to spend away...

20. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im also really enjoying the Arena mode on this... It's like the draft games on other CCGs. Best part is that whatever Class you use also levels up which unlocks all cards for that class eventually.

Hopefully, the daily missions rotate forever. That way, we can still earn gold consistently (but a little slow of course) by playing the game. That will guarantee constant Arena participation, and more chances at getting packs for free.

At this point i am willing to spend money on this game. I know Blizzard isnt a small company, but this is freemium-done-well and that is where my money deserves to be sent at.