HD Shows on iPhone..

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Wegmans, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    #1 Wegmans, Oct 31, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
    I just wanted to say how sad i was when I bought an HD show (The Office) and tried to sync it with my iPhone, and was informed via iTunes that it could not be transferred...

I think it's unfair that if i want to view that episode on my phone, i have to pay AGAIN for the regular quality version...

Do you guys agree? And i'm new to this, so maybe i'm missing something, but i think it's unfair.

If i knew how to transfer the episodes from BitTorrent, then i wouldn't be buying these episodes!

EDIT: I'm so amazed at all the replies i've received! I posted last night and came back this morning and WOW is this a great community! Thank you all for taking the time to help me out! Hopefully I can help you guys out at some point! As a note, going to iTunes and checking for available downloads worked! Thanks again!

2. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Unfair yes, maybe a firmware update will allow the iphone to play them in the future??? As for the bit torrent thing i can help, There is 2 programs I use to convert videos. The first and best is called Super http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html And the second one is more for converting Full DVD's but it's called Handbrake http://handbrake.fr/ Both are free and I have never had any trouble with either. Hope that helps

3. mek

mek Well-Known Member

also some advice

dont buy apple's composite OR component cables that lead you to believe you can output video from your ipod to your tv...the quality is terrible

what a waste of 100 bucks {i bought both packs @ 50 bucks a pop}

4. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    The way it usually works is that when you buy an HD version, you download both SD and HD versions. Make sure there isn't any content you haven't downloaded already.

Store -> Check for Available Downloads

arn

5. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    So if you buy HD anything it gives you both??? Movies/TV?

6. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Sorry for the repost, but does the check for available content through the store work for old apps that you bought but deleted?

7. mek

mek Well-Known Member

deleted from your device, but if you deleted them from itunes, then they are gone for good until you repurchase them...but you can delete them from your device all you want until your face turns blue, you wont loose them

8. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Yea i got that, I downloaded so many apps and wanted to know if there was a way that once deleted from itunes, if you can see past purchase history for all apps. Instead of trying to remember what was purchased. Everything i deleted was for a reason, and i don't really have to have anything back (I'm obviously not missing anything important) I just wanted to know what I have downloaded so far

9. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    supposedly.

though I don't think Apple lets you buy HD movies yet (just rent).

http://www.apple.com/itunes/features/

HD TV Shows
    Purchase your favorite TV shows in high definition for just $2.99 an episode. Or purchase an HD Season Pass and enjoy an entire season of your favorite show in stunning 720p resolution with Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound. When you sync your HD TV shows to your iPod or iPhone, iTunes transfers a version that’s ideal for your device’s smaller hard drive and screen.

10. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    You can always re-download an App for free. But the check for available downloads is just for stuff you bought but never downloaded I believe.

arn

11. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    So is there anyway to get an invoice of all my apps that I have "purchased" Free or paid? I could dig out all my reciepts, but I wish there was an easier way. It's silly really, It's not really important, I just want to see everything i have ever downloaded and paid for. Don't ask me why :eek:

12. mek

mek Well-Known Member

i know you can print out a list of your music

so what happens when you click on the applications section of your library, and go to file / print

[i dont have itunes in front of me right now to try it]

will it print out your app library?

13. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Hmmm... i never knew that?! I'm @ work till later tonight, when i get home i will try it first thing. But this is the problem, i know what i have in itunes, i want to see what i bought then deleted. If it's not in itunes this may not work. But I will still try later.
    Thanks Mek

14. TunesRus90

TunesRus90 Member

Jul 11, 2008
    You can view a history of all your purchases (apps, movies, music etc). Go to the iTunes Store, then click on your account name in the top right and log in. You can then click 'Purchase History' and it will show you everything you have ever downloaded, free or paid.

15. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Yahtzee!!! Thank you sir. I will do this first thing when i get home. I appreciate it! :)

16. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    It looks perfectly fine for watching family holidays vids, short clips, etc. Of course you can't expect HD quality because the videos were compressed before transferred to the iPhone.

17. Wegmans

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Thank you for your help, do you know of a Mac version of Super... I downloaded it without even looking and now i realize it's .exe hmmm

18. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Hmmm... Not sure if there is a mac ver. Sorry I am running windows. Did you check on the site? I hope they have one, it really is the best solution I have found and have been using for quite sometime now

19. Wegmans

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Thank you very much for your suggestion of Handbrake... It works absolutely perfect! I ripped a copy of Prisoner of Azkaban, and it takes up about 1gb on my iPhone now.. The quality is fantastic, and i can even skip through by chapters!

I'm looking for something to convert my .avi files though still... Thanks for your help, i really appreciate it!

20. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    No problem, did you try Super? I'm pretty sure it has converted everything I've thrown @ it... The user interface is a little clunky, but it's free like Handbrake, and works for any file that you have...