Having to pay for update on a Touch bought today.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by atommo, Jul 22, 2009.

1. atommo

atommo Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Developer
    So I managed to find a Touch out here in the boonies. Took me half a day to find it, but yay.
    Sharing one iPhone between devs was getting a little annoying, and working long distance made it harder.

So I try and run some games on it and they puke. I check the version on it and it's 2.2.1, and I have to pay for the 3.0 update.

For a Touch I bought 12 hours ago, from an Apple dealer.

That's pretty damn slimy of Apple.

2. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    All of the current gen iPod Touches ship with 2.2.1 installed

You should have waited a month or two for the 3rd gen iTouch's to be released - the new ones will come with 3.0 already installed

3. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    I dont get why anyone would buy it anyway when it is available from hundreds of sites for free. It works just as well as the iTunes Downloaded one. It doesnt really apply to me (I have an iPhone), but i just dont see why they charge you guys.

4. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    It's Apple.

Little story for you: The bottom plastic part broke off my 1st Gen iPhone after I threw it at a wall and Apple wanted to charge me $200!!! Where I could have just went out and bought a brand new 3G for half that price or a new 3GS. Mind you, my phone still works, no cracks and I managed to put the plastic part back on without jimmy rigging it.

Wait until you see how much they want for a battery replacement!

5. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    ... :confused:

6. daveak

daveak Well-Known Member

Because the hundreds of sites are breaking the law in making it available?

The excuse for charging for the upgrade is generally given as some accountancy law, iphones get the upgrade as the cost of the device is spread over a subscription period, ipods don't as they are treated as a one off cost. How accurate this is I don't know, but that is what is always mentioned.

As to why the atommo would pay for it I'm not sure as firmware will be available via the iphone developer site for free, ok they are beta versions but 3.1 isn't a big upgrade from 3 so would be fine IMO + as it sounds like it would be used as a development device anyway, no problem with using it either.

7. atommo

atommo Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Developer
    I just think it's a dirty thing in general to do to users after they've bought it.

If I posted a game and then said you don't get to play level 2 or 3 until after you pay me more, and didn't say that until after you bought level one, there'd be a mob and a fire with my name on it :)
    Understandably so.

8. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    There's an app for that.