Have you been rejected?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Naysy, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Naysy

Naysy Member

Feb 2, 2015
    #1 Naysy, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    Submitting an App soon for review and wanting it to go as smoothly as possible. Just seeing what kind of little things people have been rejected for in the past.

2. yoethan

yoethan Active Member

Jan 29, 2015
    My app got rejected 5 times before for "having a remove ads button when no ads are shown". Turns out I forgot to reset the userdefaults after I bought ads while testing. I almost went crazy

3. Xammond

Xammond Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    It's very simple to overlook a detail or put it off for later, and then be rejected over it.

A few weeks back I had an app rejected because I forgot to remove the Game Center button (they somehow activated it), set the app to potentially play music minimised (instead of just allowing it to play your music too), and it was only 32bit (it only had to be 32bit when I sent it).

I just left it at that.

4. Alda Games

Alda Games Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Brno, Czech Republic
    Well, we experience this "ads button" almost everytime... Recently we were rejected because of not visible in app purchase button but after we explained them that it become visible after finishing some certain level, they approved the game.

5. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    You left it?

You didn't fix the problem and resubmit?

6. Naysy

Naysy Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I was also unsure about being allowed to use the Game Center icon in an app. I see other apps do it but there is no official documentation from Apple saying you can/can't.

7. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    @Destined, Did fix didn't resubmit...Let's just say if we were allowed t upload files from a PC then it would have been, but I shall get a Mac asap...been saying that for too long but they're expensive!
    The plan was to shake off any iTC rust while also checking out the <wtf>WP8</wtf> store, it was my first submission since late 2011 (thanks to a maniac). Re skinning an old game revealed the submission process was more or less the same. I was already happy to aim for the big release.
    The other store was interesting but a handful of downloads soon put me off and I was grateful that things were just a kind of rehearsal.

Basically my time is now crunching with two new upcoming games (only 1 will get finished I guess), and not looking back at all...it was horrid working on old code, now things are bliss :)

@Naysy, I think we are allowed to use the GCC icon as I did in the original version - though that was initially rejected back in the day for naming a leaderboard "iPad", so after posting here at TA it was renamed to "Tablet", then learning not to separate leaderboards that way.

The problem this time around; I was yet to replace the leaderboards to the new AppID (plan was to delete old app), and although the icon would never display (in GC's Sandbox mode at least) iTC kindly sent a screenshot of the icon appearing during the reviewer's testing session...I could hardly believe my eyes for a moment. Then I thought how even if I could get the Mac back for another day I would just use it to code an extension rather than waste more time with a relic.

8. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    look on ebay for an old mac mini if you are only using it to submit.

9. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    Oh don't remind me! I struggled for months after trying that and being burned with a Snow Leopard capped pile of junk. Sold it at a 50% loss to a teacher who was not happy about it either. Haven't had anywhere near the mony since, I should've put the 100 bucks licence fee towards one.

10. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    #10 Xammond, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    The irony is that Apple would rather have an iOS8 broken app (no touch after 1 play) left on their store than a working updated version with widescreen and new graphics which they have but are being analytical about. Again, I shall leave it like that.

As for if I had a Mac: it would be my main development machine, and I wouldn't look back at useless WP store.

11. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    You are better off removing the app if it is that broken.

12. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    Already watched my account close before for a year, don't think I could do that after all the effort both times around.

13. HopperGames

HopperGames Active Member

Mar 5, 2015
    Appstores
    The classic app rejections are: No Restore button if you have IAPs, More Games showing other apps then your own

If the app crashes on a device the app will NOT be rejected :)

14. PocketFame

PocketFame Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Owner PocketFame.com & IT Project Manager
    Wollongong/Sydney, Australia
    I've had tons of little battles with the iOS review team over meta data.

Using the words zombie, dead and walking have often resulted in a rejection

15. leoborisovich

leoborisovich Member

Nov 27, 2014
    I've been rejected for "stuffing" the title with keywords...

The Apple review process is very subjective...

16. Naysy

Naysy Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Restore button was something we didn't even know about so we're working on implementing now.

We were considering adding 2 keywords in the title so hopefully we don't have any dramas

17. HopperGames

HopperGames Active Member

Mar 5, 2015
    Appstores
    For month now keys in title doesn't give you a high boost anymore.
    Just in the first 8 days it gives a boost.

18. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    Guess you didn't make this (attached) junk that just stopped working then.

Attached Files:

19. ThumbSnail

ThumbSnail Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    One-Man Game Developer
    Under a Raincloud
    Hahahaha, that is ridiculous. Though, it's kinda impressive that it all fits...

20. sraptor

sraptor Member

Mar 31, 2015
    Game Developer
    Spain
    You will find so many troubles if you dare to make an app for kids... There are a lot of laws for the US market that you have to respect in order to publish an app of that kind. Parental gates, no internet access, no ads, no IAPs....