iPad Has your iDevice changed the way you play games?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Misguided, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I'm curious to see if anyone else has found that their iDevice (thanks, Don) has radically altered the way they play games. For me, it most definitely has, and I'm finding that in some ways that other forms of entertainment are becoming less appealing.

Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

It might sound silly, but I tend not to swap out discs or carts too much. Typically, I'll get a game, play it to death, then move on to the next. It's quite rare that I come back to it after I move to something else (there are exceptions, but I'm speaking generally). This is perhaps part of the reason I seldom finish titles.

By contrast, with my iPhone, I'm constantly hopping back and forth between a variety of games depending on my mood, sometimes within a single play session.

How, if at all, has your iDevice changed the way you play?

2. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Most definitely more versatile with my Touch gaming then when on a console. The ease and portability of the Touch/iPhone and the game themselves make for quicker pick up and play. I find this more fun and easily can jump around to any genre game I wish without a lot of hassle. Of course I like my console games too but find the Touchs quicker excess more appealing.

3. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Well I haven't touched a controller in like 2 months so thats saying something...This has sadly(??) become my dominant gaming machine. There's just so much new stuff all the time, and finding games is sometimes as much fun as playing them. I am I little worried as I haven't been able to "turn off" in a while, but whether that's bad or good is a whole other argument...

4. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Funny, this is how it works for me on the iPod Touch:
    Exactly the opposite!

5. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    Yeah, I agree that iDevices have drastically changed gaming, but I think they have also readically changed the gaming market for the devs and publishers as well! I told my wife (yeah...I am married) that I haven't really been bored for more than a minute since I got my iPod. That is crazy! I love this thing!

6. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    1. It makes me play a lot more, that's for sure. Because I almost always have it in my pocket. Plus, I don't feel like a nerd when playing it in public, unlike playing a DS / PSP. It's cute if I play DS together with my girlfriend, but otherwise I'd feel embarrassed.

Initially, I didn't feel comfortable pulling out my iPhone as people looked at me and they might've thought I was just showing off my shiny new gadget. Now that it's more popular, I'm comfortable.

2. I previously was only interested in long games / rpg / adventure / sport (Final Fantasy, Zelda, Sonic, Ninja Gaiden, Mario Bros, Pro Evo), but now I'm more open to pickup-and-play games like iDracula and LightBike.

3. I hope Apple will soon solve the 148-apps limit.

7. MyiPhone

MyiPhone Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I really like playing games on my iphone - before, i never played any game on a handy, and taking my Nintendo DS to work or somewhere else...wah i don't know.
    It definatly changed a lot for me because my iphone follows me anywhere I go and so i have the possibility to play games aiting on someone, waiting in the ordination of a doctor or anything like this!
    For me it changed really a lot!
    Sometimes I am sitting at my couch and prefer playing on my iPhone than turning on the Xbox360 or Wii!

8. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    LoL yep same here, I have about 50 games I haven't even started to "really" play

9. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Hi, my name is Eric, and I'm an iDevice-aholic. B.P. (Before iPod), I was a swinger. I'd jump from Pocket PC to Palm to DS, sometimes all in the same night! The horrors of it all! Now I dust most of those devices off just so I can move them to another spot. The iPod Touch currently meets all my gaming needs, and to pick up another mobile device makes me feel like I'm cheating. But, I've said too much...

10. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Sure, perhaps the best thing about gaming on the iPhone is that for the most part it's extremely intuitive. Most games let you quit out and save your game for later, whenever you want to do so - and also fade out their own music and play yours over their sound effects, without you having to go into a settings panel.

You will get games that are a little in the past, but a good number have save on quit down. So you can just hit Home and never worry that you'll lose progress. Which is a good thing, obviously. :)

11. Almy

Almy Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    +1 for the Princess Bride reference.

Other than a couple chess games I haven't had a portable game device since my head to head football game back in the late 70's or early 80's. I recently wanted to step into a PSP or other newer device but couldn't make up my mind. Then I bought an iPhone 3G.

I've been a computer and console gamer for a long time so it will be a while before I really find a groove but I absolutel love the convenience of one device for everything...phone, Internet, gaming, shopping lists, et cetera.

12. Finchypoo

Finchypoo Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    I find that the longer I play games on my iphone the more I really miss a full blown console or PC with real controllers, more power and quality control.

Why play Zombie Mangle when I have Left 4 Dead
    Why play Fastlane (which is even a great iPhone racer) when I have Grid
    Why play Sky Force Reloaded when I have access to 1942 and Raiden II
    Why play iShoot when I own Worms Armageddon
    Why play Katamari when I own the much better PS2 version

I find that I end up playing these games more often on my iPhone not because I want to, but simply because I have more chances to, but I dont necessarily enjoy it as much.

There are of course exceptions to the "its better on PC" rule of iPhone games.

Galcon, is by far, way more enjoyable on the iPhone. The iPhone was made to play Galcon, and its awesome.

Rolando is also a joy to play on the iPhone, everything just works.

Zen Bound too, is perfect for the iPhone and the PC version is nowhere near as good.

I guess I find that too many games I get for the iPhone feel like they don't belong there, whereas the games that feel truly at home on the system are few and far between.

13. SydneyS

SydneyS Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Student/Classroom Aide
    Philadelphia
    In that I now play every second of every day, it has changed my gaming habits from a few times a week.
    Also I have (almost) never finished a game except for on DS and ipod. Now I'm finishing games left and right because I don't have to designate time to, I already have it with me and can do a few minutes here or there.

14. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    YES! My new ipod touch is my gaming device/small computer/notebook/diary etc etc! I used to have every gaming console known to man lol at one time but now the Touch is my single device I use for playing games.

When I first got my ipod touch I had NO idea of how many Free and paid games there was in the app store thus I was like a kid in a Candy store and still am! I can't believe how the idevice games are progressing and it's a wonderful thing to own this device at this time.

I play a variety of games too and find myself coming back to multiple games every day. I have such a variety of RPG, Word games, Time management games, Brain games/apps, Arcade, Action etc that it's really FUN having such a diverse choice thanks to Apple!

I'm an older gamer and I don't feel a bit ashamed that I am playing games or using apps on my ipod touch I guess because the iphone started out with a large amount of adults owning it when it was $600 at first. The the iphone/ipod touch is not a device that is the domain of kids and 20 somethings like the gaming consoles are. That is a VERY good thing! :)

I'm loving my ipod touch and loving the games. I devote a bit of time each day to it in between taking care of chores, studying for my GED, cleaning, working on stuff etc. The idevice has changed everything for me! :D

15. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    It don't only change the way I play games but the way I live. We're now having dozens of options in our pocket and I've been pulling it out whenever I'm waiting for my girlfriend to get done, play a iDracula when I'm really stressful and even look at how my game is performing in the App Store :p

Disagree with Finchypoo when hes trying to compare with a PC? Try looking things in the manner of "On the Go". Like mobile device havent got so entertaining till iPhone came in?

16. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    Major gaming changes here, too. I used to be heavily into flight and racing sims, strategy games and such in the 80s and 90s, getting the fastest graphics adapters, wheels and HOTAS controllers. Since then the time available for games has reduced drastically, and recently I've been playing lighter games, puzzles, guitar hero and such, but only sporadically. Also, I've never liked consoles or hand held gaming devices at all. After getting my iPhone mostly to allow me to surf the net while commuting on the bus, I've started gaming seriously again. I still don't really have time for it, but the accessibility has given more opportunities to game. Like Candy above, I was blown away by the amount of free/cheap software available for the phone and swiftly I've moved almost all things I used to do on home computer to my iphone. I read ebooks, compose with music apps, paint with Brushes, surf the net, read my mails and play the games. Actually I'm spending a lot more with my phone than I used to spend on my computer, so it has not been exactly healthy for my social life and other hobbies ;) I was expecting to tire with the device before long (as I usually do with any new things) but that has not happened. I guess I've met the future in mobile devices... the easy-to-use touch interface is the greatest innovation I've seen in tech for quite some time.

And yes, the games on iPhone are dozens of magnitudes "less" than the latest games on PC, but I don't mind. I love the variety of games available for idevices even with all the limitations. The constant updates and devs appearing on the forums probably have something to do with the addiction factor, too :)

17. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I intentionally avoided the subject of quality versus consoles/handhelds not because it isn't interesting or important, but I didn't want this thread to become solely about that right off the bat. If someone wants to discuss that, I would think it deserves a thread of its own. I'm no expert on the mobile games market, but I have the sense that Apple's hardware devices are accelerating the maturation of that market.

Remember too, that at least for the moment, the vast majority of games available on the system are roughly a tenth the price of console titles. My expectations for a game in the $1-$5 range are quite different from a game that cost me $30-$60.

18. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Well, for one, carrying around a 360 and/or PS2 AND an LCD screen is hell on one's back ;)

For the most part, I agree with this sentiment. It's getting better, however.

19. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Total Change.After i bought my IPod Touch i never played with my PSP again.
    It´s a new expirience to play with touch or tilt control.Everyday there are new games in the appstore for free or very cheap. If a game gets boring you bought for little money-who cares.I´m not expecting too much from a 99P game, but I´m happy, if i have fun with it.I think most of us are aged around 40??? We´ve grown up with simple Arcade games like pac man,centipede...
    we love that kind of uncomplicated games.And the best of all, we can tell our wishes directly to the devs and they change te games the way we like it.

20. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Hasn't changed the way I play games, btw. Well, technically the accelerometer and multitouch screen and no physical controls has changed the way I played games, but only on a mobile device.

That said, it's made me change the way I look at games. I too was put off by the lack of physical controls, but, to be honest...most games seem to get along just fine without them. They just have to be tailored to using motion sensing and touch screens on this platform. It's also, by way of the "free" SDK, made me think that "hey...maybe I make a game and maybe people will actually like it". That's not really happened with any of the other platforms I've owned.