Apple TV Has no one made a Wii Sports rip off yet?

Discussion in 'Apple TV Games' started by Scaramoosh, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    I dunno the limitations of Apple TV, but doesn't the remote have a gyro and what not in it? Surely someone could make bowling and other sports where you could take turns? Can you have two remotes on the Apple TV?

I bought Apple TV last year and haven't even used it, Apple dropped the ball on it majorly and so I guess it's just not capable due to all the restrictions?

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Try Beat Sports, from Harmonix. You can use iPhones as additional remotes -- there's a free App.

I'm always amazed at the "Apple dropped the ball" comments about Apple TV. The device works as advertised IMHO. With a Hori controller ($50 at any Apple Store), it fulfills most of my console needs.

The new Riptide is amazing, BTW.

3. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    It's just the restrictions they had, plus they were in a good spot to become a new console replacement and they didn't take it. Just found it weird from app size limits to having to have games that can play on the remote and not allowed to be controller only.

I dunno for me I just found it to be a poor show from Apple and their UI was a mess at launch too. I guess now they've fixed it if you can finally use your phone? I dunno I cannot find that option anywhere on my phone.

Plus the keyboard sucked at launch, just a long line...

4. babaroga73

babaroga73 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2016
    There is bowling game, there is tennis game, there is some sword game, Asphalt uses gyro, wtf d'you want?

5. Showmelater

Showmelater Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    You got happy tennis and the other game from same dev with fencing. Its Wii sport on Apple TV and its a good "ripoff"

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The UI is much better and the app size is not an issue since games can download assets after launch -- that's why you can play Transistor, who'd is over a 1GB.

The controller app just launched -- it's Remote.

7. toddfsu

toddfsu Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Absolutely right. Good news is Apple is lifting the controller restrictions. Which is the biggest barrier to console quality games. Size isn't a huge issue, but it does force developers to restructure their apps. So it does add steps to port existing iOS games.

Expecting the controller change in tvOS to be released next month with the launch of the new iPhone.